CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

LolaBug's Recovery Musings   Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started May-28 by LolaBug; 2071 views.
MaryLouise3

Aug-31

Yes, do cut yourself some slack when it comes to shopping, hoarding, indulging in food during this weird time. Everyone has resorted to compensatory stuff and so long as you don't drink, everything else can be balanced and set right.

One reason I am so keen on long periods of consistent unbroken sobriety is that they set down a  solid memory track of how much better off we are when sober and how possible it is to go without alcohol. Some people here on the forum used Antabuse for a while and then realised they didn't need the Antabuse as a deterrent because they were used to thinking of each day as sober and enjoyable, no need to drink at all.

And I had no idea that I am really a morning person at heart and like starting my days clearheaded with a large mug of tea!

Take care and good to hear from you.

xMary

LolaBug

Aug-31

Thank you, Mary. I, too, have discovered I am a morning person. I love my morning quiet time. This is when I do my sobriety work.

As far as the food hoarding, I'm trying to rein it in but also not stress about it. There are worse things, like drinking, that I could be doing.

Speaking of that, have you seen the videos of people going absolutely insane in stores over being asked to wear a mask? I watch them and wonder, "Is this person drunk???" I guess I've never seen such rage over something so small being exhibited without alcohol being involved.

Well, off to start another day of wonderful sobriety.

MaryLouise3

Sep-1

We have that here too, public displays of rage and aggression and tantrums over having to respect social distancing. I think one reason has to do with the impact of isolation and confinement, but also being thwarted in everyday freedoms. A stress reaction out of proportion to the situation. It reminds me so much of the fury of heavy  or problem drinkers suddenly denied booze -- I've seen the same outrage and acting out in airports or when someone drunk is refused a drink on airlines. That people are far more 'addicted' to their daily routines and pleasures than they would have guessed.

I never get tired of days of sobriety, the lovely ordinariness and freedom from the irrational.

Take care.

xMary

LolaBug

Sep-1

So true! Boring, humdrum, ordinary? Bring it on!!! Because boring, humdrum, ordinary means everything is normal and nothing terrible is happening. Sounds good to me!

I like your explanation of these adult temper-tantrums we're seeing. My first thought was, So everyone's day-drinking now? But yes, I see what you're saying. Alcoholics or not, we have all had things yanked away from us that we thought were our right.

Thank you for that insight. I'm going to try to be more compassionate toward the tantrum-throwers.

Elsie (Elsiek)

Sep-2

Hi Lola and Mary

Nice to have a read of your messages! Glad you are feeling well Lola, and sorry you are feeling rather crap Mary. I too used to think I had an iron digestion, but I definitely have a more sensitive stomach as I get older, in spite of not drinking.

Re. substitute obsessions during the pandemic, I can confirm that in the last few days I have spent a ridiculous amount of time in pursuit of my next pair of wellington boots.  Needless to say they will have to be the platonic ideal of wellington boots to truly satisfy me. I am going to go to a country supplies shop on Saturday after I do a wedding and actually try some on.  Meanwhile I have banned myself from looking online. 

It's been very mixed weather here and we have sprung a roof leak between the thatch and the slate roof. I hate trying to sort these things out as it always involves hearing conflicting opinions about what is needed from two or three very blokish blokes. And then guessing who is right. My husband always thinks that the cheapest person is right. I tend to be more persuaded by the most expensive. I'm not even sure god knows. 

Anyway, I'm here, I'm sober and I'll cope with whatever comes my way. 

Virtual hugs to all

Elsie xx

LolaBug

Sep-3

Those Wellingon boots, what are they like? I thought they were just pull-on rain boots. I never imagined them as anything but platonic!

Around here we like our Bean boots from LLBean. I think they're fancier than Wellingons, but I certainly wouldn't call them sexy. Maybe if you're into lumberjacks. (Cue Monty Python skit.)

And yeah, trying to find someone to do repairs is all a gamble, because I don't know anything about the problem except that there is one. 

Well, time to get moving into the day!

Elsie (Elsiek)

Sep-3

The wellies are purchased. I couldn't wait till Saturday after an ultra muddy walk kicking dirt up my jeans.  I daren't tell anyone how much they cost, but they are made in France and I believe they are the preferred boot of Kate Windsor.  I wish they weren't, it's just embarrassing! The thing is I have been suffering with my feet- fallen arches, very slim feet (unlike the rest of me) weak ankles, and the beginnings of arthritis.  And I want to walk the wet fields over the winter as it keeps my dog (and me) happy. Walking boots are great but not when it's really wet and muddy. well I hope I've convinced you- I've almost convinced myself joy

It's fairly tragic that I consider my new wellies a thing of beauty!!

Elsie xx

MaryLouise3

Sep-4

Oh you with the royal wellies! Enjoy.

Minor obsessions are key to getting through lockdown for me -- I am going to make the perfect ratatouille this summer, each chopped veg cooked separately and then a  soupcon of honey added t the end, Provencal style. I've reread all Elena Ferrante's novels about foul-mouthed viragos in Naples. 

Good luck with blokey roof fixing.

xM

LolaBug

Sep-4

Glad to hear you got your Wellies and you like them! Bean boots aren't attractive, either. Nor are they cheap, but they're so popular that a few years ago they were on backorder for months.

Today looks like it will be another good day for a swim. Yes, the water is cold, but I know there are precious few swimming days left this year. I do like going to the gym, but the last two times I went, I noticed the mask mandate was not being strictly enforced. Not sure if I want to squawk about it or not.

Other than that and a few errands, the only other thing I have to do today is NOT DRINK.

In reply toRe: msg 22
LolaBug

Sep-8

Been feeling somewhat melancholy the past few days. Maybe end-of-summer blues. I also haven't been as productive as I'd like. Too much sitting on the couch, watching tv and/or reading nonsense on my phone.

I have yo get back to my "sticker chart" daily to-do list. Obviously I need more structure to my days, and that's only going to come from me. I don't want this to become a downward spiral.