CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rae returning    Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 6/17/08 by Rae (raeanne50); 31584 views.
Brian (BrianB125)

Jun-25

Lola,

I have some sympathy for your grandfather - that's what drinking does, it takes away all you interest in other things.  Takes a while to get over that, but it does happen and makes stopping worth it.

Brian

LolaBug

Jun-27

Brian-- exactly!!! That is EXACTLY what drinking does! So on my daily list I have sewing, knitting, crocheting, and sobriety work (coming here and to another site to read and respond). If I want to sit and watch tv, which I sometimes need to do to rest my back, I have to be doing something else constructive. 

I'll be working really hard to keep this momentum going. 

Brian (BrianB125)

Jun-27

Yes, I can just sit and watch movies - I have to do something else too - drives my wife crazy.

cookly

Jun-28

I had to look it up, never heard of a paw paw tree before. Not surprising since I don't like most fruits. I have one accidental plum tree that I keep small and I snip off all the flowers. The tree itself has a nice shape, that's all. I dug it up with a friend who took me to a yard where the house was being demolished and all the bulbs, plants, trees, were up for grabs. My friend assured me that was a lovely little forsythia. A year later I had a visitor who told me my forsythia had plums on it ! 

MaryLouise3

Jul-1

Oh Rae, we have pawpaw or papaya trees all around  the place, especially in more subtropical regions. I used to scale trees as a child to knock them down for breakfast.

Love to you

xMaryLouise

cookly

Jul-1

Well that's what I get for living in garden zone 5, no paw paw, no coconut trees...

Its Canada Day, and so different.  For one thing it's cold and rainy, and all celebrations are  cancelled. Its dead quiet in town today.  

My old family piano is coming back to me; dtr is moving and no longer wants it. I'm happy about the piano, but anxious.. Her dad is going to bring it here from Vancouver and she's arranged for local movers to meet him here and put it in the house. Big emotional challenge, seeing him again. The very thought of him disturbs me never mind actually seeing him.  I decided I'll be polite but not invite him in. I can cite Covid concerns. I'm hoping it'll take under 20 minutes, also hoping I keep calm while staying firm. 

Hope you're keeping well, MaryLouise. 

love, Rae    

MaryLouise3

Jul-8

Just saw this Rae, I hope the meeting went well. These encounters can throw us off-balance.

We're all ill with gastric bugs from contaminated water, not having a great time.

xMary

cookly

Jul-10

I am sorry you're sick.. yet you took the time to post to me. Thank you. Hope you are feeling  better by now. 

My beautiful piano is home ! Dtr took very good care of it despite all the moving.. all polished and looking fine, not a scratch on it. There's something about the  particular tone of that piano that  strikes something deep inside me, maybe because I've played it since I was  nine years old. Feels like love. 

Seeing and talking with my ex was easy. He was nice, and praised my gardens..said I'd made a beautiful sanctuary for myself and my animals. I felt very little toward him , was so excited about the piano I didn't pay much attention to him !  But I was friendly and we chatted a bit.  

I am shocked at how much I've forgotten. Muscle memory is gone, I have much to relearn. But I used to teach it, so I know how to teach myself. And I do.. every morning I play for an hour or two, finger  and technical exercises mostly, and reviewing theory, which I've always enjoyed.  

This is yet another blessing of sobriety.. drunk people don't play their best music. They just think they  do. 

love to you, Mary, 

Brian (BrianB125)

Jul-12

I'm just back from be hospitalized with pneumonia, first time I've ever been in a hospital.  Only good thing I can say about it is that I lost almost 20 pounds and I never thought of drinking.

Mary, what we call Paw Paws here are not papayas.  Paw Paws here are the most northern growing tropical fruits.  That have a fruit that looks something like a small banana and taste something like a custard banana.  They are fairly hard to cultivate because they don't pollinate well and you have to have different cultivars to get them to fruit.  Some people have tried to grow them commercially but they have had limited success.  They do grow wild in West Virginia, but they aren't plentiful.  I now have 4 trees, so I hope I will get some fruits.  It's been a pet project for a number of years.  I'll let you know what happens if a couple of years.

Brian

Brian (BrianB125)

Jul-12

Rae,

That's wonderful.  My wife is a very serious amateur recorder player and I'm not sure that anything makes her happier.  She practices several hours a day.

And you are right, this is one of the blessings of not drinking, you get your life back,

Brian