CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rae returning    Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 6/17/08 by Rae (raeanne50); 31592 views.
MaryLouise3

Jul-8

Just saw this Rae, I hope the meeting went well. These encounters can throw us off-balance.

We're all ill with gastric bugs from contaminated water, not having a great time.

xMary

cookly

Jul-10

I am sorry you're sick.. yet you took the time to post to me. Thank you. Hope you are feeling  better by now. 

My beautiful piano is home ! Dtr took very good care of it despite all the moving.. all polished and looking fine, not a scratch on it. There's something about the  particular tone of that piano that  strikes something deep inside me, maybe because I've played it since I was  nine years old. Feels like love. 

Seeing and talking with my ex was easy. He was nice, and praised my gardens..said I'd made a beautiful sanctuary for myself and my animals. I felt very little toward him , was so excited about the piano I didn't pay much attention to him !  But I was friendly and we chatted a bit.  

I am shocked at how much I've forgotten. Muscle memory is gone, I have much to relearn. But I used to teach it, so I know how to teach myself. And I do.. every morning I play for an hour or two, finger  and technical exercises mostly, and reviewing theory, which I've always enjoyed.  

This is yet another blessing of sobriety.. drunk people don't play their best music. They just think they  do. 

love to you, Mary, 

Brian (BrianB125)

Jul-12

I'm just back from be hospitalized with pneumonia, first time I've ever been in a hospital.  Only good thing I can say about it is that I lost almost 20 pounds and I never thought of drinking.

Mary, what we call Paw Paws here are not papayas.  Paw Paws here are the most northern growing tropical fruits.  That have a fruit that looks something like a small banana and taste something like a custard banana.  They are fairly hard to cultivate because they don't pollinate well and you have to have different cultivars to get them to fruit.  Some people have tried to grow them commercially but they have had limited success.  They do grow wild in West Virginia, but they aren't plentiful.  I now have 4 trees, so I hope I will get some fruits.  It's been a pet project for a number of years.  I'll let you know what happens if a couple of years.

Brian

Brian (BrianB125)

Jul-12

Rae,

That's wonderful.  My wife is a very serious amateur recorder player and I'm not sure that anything makes her happier.  She practices several hours a day.

And you are right, this is one of the blessings of not drinking, you get your life back,

Brian

ScoutMc

Jul-14

I’m a firm believer that music is an essential vitamin for the human soul. I played piano for a few years during childhood, but my ADD/ADHD had me bouncing around with so many instruments that I never learned to play anything well. I recently brought a keyboard home and have yet to complete a lesson (from my childhood books). I’m sure you’ll be playing beautiful music soon, and thank you for motivating me to dust mine off.

MaryLouise3

Jul-21

We;come Scout! Good to see you here.

Brian, I'm sorry to hear you've been ill. Take acre and don't over-exert yourself.

I've had almost two months of a persisting gastric illness that comes and goes, leaving me exhausted and weak as a kitten. It may or may not be a  Covid-19 symptom cluster -- no respiratory tract infections yet. I hope it gets better as spring approaches --

xMary

Brian (BrianB125)

Jul-21

Mary,

Good to see you back, but sorry to hear about your illness, hope it gets better soon.  I seem to be making a rapid recovery - I walked a mile yesterday.  In the rehab clinic they were happy when I went 300 feet with a walker.

Brian

kzurek

Jul-22

Hi Daisy! I hear ya! I know staying sober is hard especially during these Covid times. I started an online recovery at its amazing! Plantedrecovery.com/youarenotalone. If you need anything I’m here’

MaryLouise3

Jul-23

That mile-long walk sounds good -- I have a good day then two bad days -- fevers and fatigue -- then  I sleep for two days, then I have cramping and illness for another day. I lie in bed worrying about finances even though I am quite unable to get up and work -- rather like the pointless worrying at 3am of insomnia, useless and just another source of stress..

Pace yourself and don't rush anything.

xMary

cookly

Aug-8

Catching up here and sorry to see so many sick. Damn. Hope you are all now on the healing side. 

I'm still enjoying my sober life. Every single aspect of my life is better, and its not the rosy glow of early sobriety at this stage. Life has become simpler and my troubles few. I continue to mend relationships when I have the opportunity and have not been rebuffed by anybody. 

The gardens are lovely still but most of the flowers have slowed down blooming. My marijuana and tomatoes are doing really well. Once a week I drive to a farm and buy whatever they picked that day. We're all anxiously waiting for the corn, which should be ready in a few weeks. So I'm eating well and maintaining my weight. 

There have been no  Covid cases here but there have been outbreaks in a nearby city, and with all the summer visitors driving up and down the valley highways, we are still somewhat at risk. Luckily I have a friend who makes masks. I wear one in the stores but not outside. Most people here are not wearing a mask. We still have a small town attitude that we are somehow immune, and warn each other to stay out of the cities. 

So keep well, everyone. 

love to all, Rae