CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rae returning    Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 6/17/08 by Rae (raeanne50); 32274 views.
Brian (BrianB125)

Jul-21

Mary,

Good to see you back, but sorry to hear about your illness, hope it gets better soon.  I seem to be making a rapid recovery - I walked a mile yesterday.  In the rehab clinic they were happy when I went 300 feet with a walker.

Brian

kzurek

Jul-22

Hi Daisy! I hear ya! I know staying sober is hard especially during these Covid times. I started an online recovery at its amazing! Plantedrecovery.com/youarenotalone. If you need anything I’m here’

MaryLouise3

Jul-23

That mile-long walk sounds good -- I have a good day then two bad days -- fevers and fatigue -- then  I sleep for two days, then I have cramping and illness for another day. I lie in bed worrying about finances even though I am quite unable to get up and work -- rather like the pointless worrying at 3am of insomnia, useless and just another source of stress..

Pace yourself and don't rush anything.

xMary

cookly

Aug-8

Catching up here and sorry to see so many sick. Damn. Hope you are all now on the healing side. 

I'm still enjoying my sober life. Every single aspect of my life is better, and its not the rosy glow of early sobriety at this stage. Life has become simpler and my troubles few. I continue to mend relationships when I have the opportunity and have not been rebuffed by anybody. 

The gardens are lovely still but most of the flowers have slowed down blooming. My marijuana and tomatoes are doing really well. Once a week I drive to a farm and buy whatever they picked that day. We're all anxiously waiting for the corn, which should be ready in a few weeks. So I'm eating well and maintaining my weight. 

There have been no  Covid cases here but there have been outbreaks in a nearby city, and with all the summer visitors driving up and down the valley highways, we are still somewhat at risk. Luckily I have a friend who makes masks. I wear one in the stores but not outside. Most people here are not wearing a mask. We still have a small town attitude that we are somehow immune, and warn each other to stay out of the cities. 

So keep well, everyone. 

love to all, Rae 

Msg 1894.2088 deleted
Brian (BrianB125)

Aug-10

Great to hear how well you are doing Rae.    I seem to be making a good recovery, still a little short on energy, but I'm getting around.  My garden really suffered with me being away for a month.  We have a real bindweed problem and they strangled my raspberries and tomatoes.  Zucchinis are doing great, nothing ever seems to get them.

We are hunkered down because of Covid, only go to the grocery store and the pharmacy and always wear a mask.  Canada seems to have it much more under control than the US.  I've had thoughts of seeing if I could get my Canadian citizenship back - I was born in Canada.  Just a thought so far, but who knows.

Brian

cookly

Aug-10

I don't think I knew you were  born in Canada, I guess you've already searched the options like duel citizenship.  So where were you born ?  I'm guessing eastern Canada just because its geographically close to  you and where most of the Canadian population is.  Whole huge country west of that. Sure would be fun for you to visit the west, not just the coast but inland too.  Rex did, with no regrets. 

But it must be terrible to even have the thought of having to leave your country just to live in a decent society.  I am keeping close watch and waiting for Nov. 

"Nothing lasts forever" is a comforting thought. 

Stay safe Brian

Brian (BrianB125)

Aug-10

I was born in Hamilton, Ontario - the hospital on the mountain if you know Hamilton.  My mother was staying with my father's parents.  The thoughts about getting Canadian citizenship have more to do with wanting to be able to leave the US.  I have a cousin who lives in Vancouver and I'd like to be able to visit him again.  I almost made it out to your area a few years ago - when there were all the fires, but we decided to go to Vancouver Island instead.  Maybe next time.

Brian

cookly

Aug-12

Not sure if you mean moving here, or just visiting.  We seem to be very hostile about Americans visiting.. especially those Alaska bound who apparently don't know which route to take.. it doesn't involve the Island  , for example. 

I don't know Hamilton.. its three thousand miles away. You've probably visited eastern Canada more than I have.. been there only twice.. once in my teens for Expo 67 with a school group, and a visit to Ottawa to see my husband's family in the 80's. The only vivid memory I retain after all that is  the library of our Parliament Building.. I'd never seen such a beautiful thing, floor to ceiling shelves of books, all golden, everything glowed gold. My sixteen year old mind seared that one into memory and I can still see it today.

Oh, and in Quebec City, I saw an enormous church made of stone, not wood !...  with wide stone steps, and there were people on each step, on their knees, praying as they crawled up toward the entrance. That got seared into memory too and I can see why;  living in rural BC and raised by atheist parents, of course that would be shocking to me. 

How are you feeling these days ? What a horrible time you had.. wishing you good health, Brian.  

Brian (BrianB125)

Aug-12

Just to visit, and not until the Covid thing is over.  

You didn't miss much by not seeing Hamilton, it's mainly a steel factory town.  Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec and Montreal are all wonderful, I could see moving to Montreal.

The who illness was much harder on my wife than it was on me.  I was totally out of it for the first three days - couldn't remember seeing the doctor, couldn't remember the CAT scan I had.  When I finally came around on the third day I had two wonderful nurses taking care of me.  And then I started getting better very quickly.  At one point, I told my wife about an "antenna coffee pot."  That really freaked her out.  I got to ride in an ambulance from the hospital to the rehab facility, and that was fun, I could look out the back window.  The rehab facility had better food - I lost almost 20 pounds - and I looked forward to the physical therapy and made quick progress, which was very encouraging.  I'm still not up to full strength and I have some shortness of breath, but on the whole I'm doing a lot better.  What I would like to know is how I caught pneumonia.

Brian