CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Mary's Sober Diary   Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 12/8/08 by marylouise50; 44083 views.
MaryLouise3

12/31/18

The real Italian deal!

xMary

Brian (BrianB125)
Staff

12/31/18

That sounds wonderful, I really like pasta with greens.  I'm still eating leftovers from Christmas dinner - lamb curry was the last variation.

Wishing everyone a great New Year.

Brian

MaryLouise3

1/1/19

And a great New Year to you, Brian! I'm busy simmering a gammon with cloves and ginger and apple juice to be served up with a cranberry glaze at lunch. Still sick as a dog, spluttering and coughing my way into 2019.

Here's to good health, good food and friendship in the New Year --

xMary

Brian (BrianB125)
Staff

1/1/19

I woke up this morning at 5:30 in West Virginia and went downstairs.  My first thought that something was wrong with the furnace, it was too warm.  I looked at the thermometer and it was 71 degrees in the house - but then I noticed that it was 57 degrees outside - on January 1!  The world is going through strange times.  2018 was strange, I imagine 2019 is going to be just as strange.  All I can do is wish all the best to everyone and hope we all get through it.

Wish I could send you some of my lentil soup with andouille sausage - it clears out the passages.

Brian

MaryLouise3

1/2/19

Thanks, Brian. I'd love genuine andouille sausage, hard to come by here. Lentils are one of my stand=by ingredients and I might take a break from chicken soup this week!

As desertification worsens across the Sudan and Sahara, the warmer air and currents will create more typhoons and hurricanes etc across oceans. After the shock of extreme waterless drought here in the last couple of years, I watch global climate shifts very closely -- most of our underground aquifers in the Karoo are now used up and we have several towns  without dams or water  supplies. And our wildfires began early this season.

xMary

MaryLouise3

Mar-8

Just posting a quick message here because someone on a LifeRing mailing list was asking about journals or blogs on Delphi and I thought a new post might be easier to find.

I'm not sure many people use online blogs or journals these days because of the erosion of privacy on the Internet -- everything is linked to social media and most of us are now reluctant to post personal information anywhere  because  of the information gathering by various social media orgs.

All the same, I do know that keeping private and online journals was a big help for me in the first few years when I was figuring things out and the responses and conversations helped me move forward and make friends.

xMaryLouise

Brian (BrianB125)
Staff

Mar-9

I looked at the controls to see if there was any way to restrict viewing to members of the group - but as I expected, I couldn't find any.  There may be just no way to get the group intimacy and privacy of an in-person AA meeting online.

The privacy issue has never been a big concern of mine, but I know it is for many people. 

Brian

MaryLouise3

Mar-9

Hi Brian

Somebody on the Safelist wanted to start an online journal, hoping for feedback and encouragement. I know I learned so much both from keeping a journal here and reading responses, the rambly conversations that developed.

But it is different now and I do think posters need to be aware of privacy issues unless they want to keep posts very general and anonymous, which often isn't what we do in early sobriety. The longer we are sober, the less concerned we are with aspects of privacy -- but these days social media tracers and surveillance spiders can link us to sites and posts not intended to be made public.

Ongoing quandaries -- thanks for checking on the possibilities. Are you enjoying early spring?

xMary

Brian (BrianB125)
Staff

Mar-9

Not so early spring this year, I'm almost out of wood in West Virginia - but some crocuses are coming up in the garden, so maybe spring will come soon.

MaryLouise3

Mar-19

Trouble getting in, my usual difficulty with Delphi.

This has been a  mixed bag of a week -- 13 years sober on 17 March, a nice solid 'bakers dozen' as someone commented.

Then Cyclone Idai hit the Mozambique coast and has caused enormous destruction in the Chimanimani  area of Zimbabwe as well as the port city of Beira. Given that the damage caused by Cyclone Eline in 2000 still hasn't been fully repaired, I don't know how long it will take to get these areas up and running again. Death tolls rising and the danger of cholera or typhoid.

Down here we have severe power cuts because the lines from Cahora Bassa power scheme are damaged after the cyclone struck, so black-outs of electricity for up to seven or eight hours each day. Some of us have been collecting medical supplies to send to Mozambique and Zimbabwe, but I'm hoping more relief aid comes in sooner rather than later.

Tough times --