CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Mary's Sober Diary   Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 12/8/08 by marylouise50; 48819 views.
MaryLouise3

1/16/20

New research mentioned by a friend  who is interested in therapies reversing neurodevelopmental disorders in adults.

Excerpt from article

Additionally, these results may also have implications for treating other disorders, such as brain injury, stroke, addiction, etc. For example, prolonged substance abuse leads to stable molecular, cellular, structural, and behavioral changes that present a formidable problem for recovering patients (Volkow and Li, 2005). The results reviewed here suggest that correcting the maladaptive biochemical states brought about by these disorders (e.g, addiction, brain injury, etc.) may allow the brain to recover, even when key neuroanatomical changes associated with pathology are not reversed. In addition to correcting disrupted molecular processes, it is possible that manipulations that reopen highly plastic developmental states may facilitate recovery from neurodevelopmental disorders, addiction, or any other disorder that disrupts the structure and function of the brain. Altogether the findings reviewed here raise the possibility that adult treatments could one day help the many millions of people affected with neurodevelopmental disorders. They also highlight the importance and urgency of understanding the absolutely fascinating ability of the adult brain to reinvent itself.

Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2710296/

MaryLouise3

2/12/20

Hi everyone, and especially Michael. I'm now posting in the Sobriety/Recovery Journals  folder after getting All Discussions brought up and checking through folders. Michael what you might do is to find this folder and then click on New Topic and give your own journals a title.

Let me know if this works for you.

Mary Louise the neo-Luddite of forums

MaryLouise3

3/17/20

Hi Everyone

Today is  my sober anniversary -- I sobered up on 17 March 2007 and didn't know it was St Patrick's Day!

Very glad that in a time of uncertainty and anxiety I don't feel the need to drink. Thanks to everyone here who has helped me stay sober through the years.

MaryLouise

Brian (BrianB125)

3/17/20

Great to hear Mary.

Brian

MaryLouise3

May-29

Out here it is Day 64 of lockdown and the streets are still deserted.  Country life is often quiet here but now the farmers have finished harvesting and the  winter has begun, snow on the mountains and welcome rain.

Each morning we go out for a walk: I forage a little for early winter greens (oxalis, wild mint, wild onions, nasturtiums that have naturalised themselves along water furrows) at the edges of fields and woods, we greet neighbours and friends in masks as we pass. We can't smile at one another so we call out instead and wave.

I was thinking earlier how odd it is to have lost track of time this year, to not know if it is a weekday or weekend, that another month is here with no change in lockdown despite some easing of regulations. Most people are staying in place for now. An unending now.

Brian (BrianB125)

May-29

Things are starting to ease here too, but I'm not sure how much effect it's going to have on me.  I think we have pretty much decided were not going to change our isolation until there is a vaccine.

We go for walks, my wife is baking bread, and i'm cooking all sorts of things.  I go to West Virginia where my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away and I can work outside with no concerns.  Trips to Trader Joe's for groceries.  They have been really good at safe practices and they have an hour each morning for old people like us.  If it ever stops raining, I'll start planting my garden in West Virginia and make some new sculptures.

I just read a book about the 1918 flu epidemic and I just watched the movie "Trumbo"  about Dalton Trumbo and the blacklist.  It does put things in perspective, things have been worse.

Best wishes for everyone.

Brian

MaryLouise3

Jun-1

Monday morning here, dense mist and  the easing of lockdown, hoping people do observe social distancing because we are just entering a surge. A number of schools are opening and deliveries of fast food are now possible.

Staying as we are for the most part -- Brian, we are  also vulnerable and sheltering in place -- but reports coming in of ill patients and my partner will be involved in nursing. Everything is now a calculated risk and food prices are rising. 

I'm keen to get into the garden again, planting out cuttings and  sowing seeds in trays for micro-greens. On our walk I saw buds of white magnolia plumping up.

MaryLouise3

Jun-2

Widespread solidarity around here for those suffering in the US and it has brought up traumatic memories for many of police brutality under apartheid.

No walks this morning, bitterly cold and I felt unwell, some vague fever and stomach upset, unlikely to be Covid-19. I did go out into the empty street and  take a pic of the sun coming up on the far side of a field, bands of purple and scarlet, one big flamboyant cliche.

Work! Grateful to have so much piled up on my desk, grouchy because it is so much nose to the grindstone. On the other hand we have autumnal mushrooms (pine rings and field mushrooms and oyster mushrooms) in large baskets. Which means risotto and mushroom barley soup and a mushroom sauce with something. I always think of mushrooms as a rare luxury, more so than steak or lobster.