CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rex's 2nd Time Around Volume 2   Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 8/31/12 by Rex (rcclark99); 27423 views.
Rae (raeanne51)

9/8/12

Rex, I'm always taken by surprise when I get those occasional cravings.. sometimes I see the trigger; most times I don't. In your case its likely the combination of things being so unsettled for months and now you're able to relax so your brain is reverting back to the familiar.

Whatever the reason, you know the solution. Remember too, those cravings don't last for long; bit of diversion and it goes away; repeat as necessary.

I don't think you're going to drink.. you didn't go to hell and back for nothing, my friend.

Love you, Rae

Brian (BrianB125)

9/8/12

Rex,

I've noticed that I get cravings after a particularly stressful time - like say the house full of visitors - which I really like but find stressful all the same.  I don't get the urges when I'm feeling the stress - but after its over.  No idea why, but that is the pattern.  Might be the same thing going on with you.\

Brian
mkh106
Staff

9/8/12

seems so, doesn't it? was just telling my youngest about that today (can't remember why that came up), how so often people can be fine throughout a crisis or upheaval and then crash afterwards....
mkh106
Staff

9/8/12

Rex,

doing something to get out of that headspace is a good move. and you made it. you moved away. took charge of what you could do.

i've found that for me, the rare "gottadrink!!" reaction is kind of like some knee-jerk response to intense emotion. especially missing. missing can be bloody miserable! can make nothing much else seem to matter.

keep going, Rex. consider people's suggestions. use your contacts. keep posting. step back.

Margit

Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

9/8/12

Sorry about the calls Bob. I have missed them and meant to call you back but just haven't done it yet. I apologize.

I attended my men's group on Wednesday. It is always hard work for me emotionally but was really interesting this week. I had missed the meetings of the last month because of the health issues.

It just seems odd to me that for the last year I have had little or no cravings of any kind and just as everything seems to be righting itself the cravings come back for three straight days.

Thank you for your calls and your thoughts. Please don't give up calling. I promise to try and answer.

Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

9/8/12

I'm not going to drink Rae but did find it interesting. I'm always so happy to hear you're doing well. These cravings have lasted longer than most but nothing I can't handle. Thanks as always for your thoughts.

Love you too,

Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

9/8/12

missing can be bloody miserable! can make nothing much else seem to matter.

Yes, it kind of caught me off guard margit. I wasn't prepared for the intensity of it.

I went and saw a movie tonight for the second night in a row instead of going to the bar next door to the theater and found I kind of enjoy going alone. No distractions, no need to chat.......you really watch the movie. lol

But I'm ready for her to come home now. ;-)

marylouise50

9/9/12

I'm with Margit on that crash after  going through turmoil and crisis -- some of it may be needing to decompress in some way because so much has happened.

Rex, get to a meeting (LR or AA) if you find yourself at a loose end and stick close to sober friends.
Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

9/9/12

Hi Mary,

I went to a movie last night and think I may be past the worst part. I'm feeling much calmer and relaxed today although it is still early.

Today is the beginning of our National Football League season in the U.S. so I will be glued to the tv for part of the day and later in the afternoon may take a short motorcycle ride to dinner somewhere.

I will not drink. I have too much time, work and emotion invested in my sobriety to throw it away because of a few days of craving.

I am in the midst of life changes on several fronts and cannot afford to screw things up by reintroducing alcohol into the mix. That would just be a horrible way to end this story

Susan (swl755)

9/9/12

Just popping in at the tail end of this discussion and glad to hear the cravings are lessening. 

Quite a few people have talked about getting cravings after a period of stress, rather than during.  Rae's description of reverting to [old] normal patterns makes sense to me, all those years we'd come home from a particularly horrible day at work, kick off our shoes, and say, God, I need a drink!  Decompression.

What good news that the subdural hematoma is finally going away.  And good news that you're in a relationship you like so much.  Sounds like things are really looking up for you in all kinds of ways, Rex.  Just one word of advice from this corner:  don't screw it up! 

xx/Susan, ever helpful