CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rex's 2nd Time Around Volume 2   Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 8/31/12 by Rex (rcclark99); 30970 views.
marylouise50

10/15/12

Moving through transition -- and it sounds challenging but good. New connections and reconnections, not easy. It sounds as if Judy's living situation is difficult but the family connection is very important to her. Changes take time -- I agree with you that as we get older we bring more baggage into new relationships  even if we also bring more realistic expectations and  better coping skills. As Susan said.

And I agree with you about the repairwork on  what happened in the drinking years. In my case i often 'went along' with unsatisfactory  ways of relating (not really present, the diminished energies and apathy arising from  heavy drinking much of the week)  and  now  find I have to  push hard to  change that, to not drift along or humour others, take the easier path. Which means conflict.
NCorbett3

10/15/12

Hi Rex
I used to think that if this or that happened, life would get more manageable.  And it does, with experience, but there are always new challenges for people like us who are alive and growing.  I met my partner when we were both in our mid-50's, with lots of experience in relationships, parenting etc and we STILL found plenty of blind spots and things to resolve.  We've been together now for almost 15 years and it works for us.  One reason for that is that we fell deeply in love, like you, and that has carried us through some tough situations, including me picking up alcohol again after 12 years' sobriety.  So I wish you and Judy well.  It's worth it.

love, nancy xx
In reply toRe: msg 59
Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

10/30/12

The bikes have been put away for the winter and while we don't have the horrors of the east coast of course, tonight is cold, rainy and terribly windy.

And today, my summer from hell came close to being at an end. I had my umpteenth brain ct scan this morning and this afternoon took the dvd to my neurologist who told me that my subdural hemmorage has disappeared. It's completely gone and left nary a trace after five months of growing and shrinking and growing and shrinking. Dr. Gehring said I no longer have to come back and see his smilling face. Natural healing should take care of the remaining concussion symptoms over the next few months.

I didn't realize how injured and ill I was for most of the last 4-5 months until I started feeling better. Maybe kind of like getting sober and realizing how ill you had really been?

It was the summer from hell only healthwise........I met Judy only ten days before my accident and the past five months has seen our relationship develop very nicely. A love affair between two senior citizens is every bit as exciting as it would have been at any other age. And I've had them in pretty much all age brackets. lol

• Edited 10/30/2012 8:24 pm by Rex (rcclark99)
mkh106
Staff

10/30/12

Ah Rex, that all sounds good,  cancer and hematoma disappeared while the new love entered the scene!

and yeah, having just read a lot of  "the book of love letters" , i'll say that the ones between older people sound a lot more appealing than all that rather , uh, slightly-silly-sounding "young" stuff.

(had to toss the book after a while, though, as it got a bit tedious. really, i got tired of it mostly because i'm convinced that i could do a lot better myself! as could you, and most of the people on this forum!)

good winter to you!

Margit

marylouise50

10/31/12

More good news Rex! I know the feeling you describe and it is similar to  sobering up and suddenly looking back at all those months if not years of being sick and tired. The same thing when I  get through a period of anxiety or  depression and  find I  wake up without a knot  of dread in my stomach.

And good to hear things are going  so well with Judy. How are your kids doing?
Brian (BrianB125)

10/31/12

Great news Rex, quite an adventurous summer.  It almost sounds like a soap opera - "How I fell off my motorcycle passing an 18 wheeler, almost died, and saved my life!"  Might not believe it if we saw it on TV.  May you have a calmer next year.

Brian
Firenailer

11/5/12

Hey Rex,

Good to hear you continue to mend! That F'n Sandy was quite the storm here in NY. Pretty much totalled my GF and her Brothers house's out in Rockaway Beach, so we've been out salvaging as much as we could and moving her in with me.

I guess it took a hurricane to finally blow her off the beach! It's also good to hear you and your new friend moving along in your relationship. Love is good to have in your life my friend.

I'm just a couple of days shy of my first year sober, and my life is totally back on track. I'm finally me again, and that's pretty cool! Have we heard anything from Stu and Jim lately? I hope that they're doing well.

Take care everyone, thanks for the help getting me back together, and I still stop in every now and then to see what's new. so stay well, and enjoy every sober day. This life of ours is a gift, way too preciuos to waste on alcohol.

Bob

JMK100

11/5/12

Hi Bob, I am doing good -- sober. I have been checking in here daily, just not posting much. Reading here and at a couple other spots is part of my routine right now. It helps. I will start writing more later, but I am in a good sober reading groove for the moment. I am taking this medicine called campral and it seems to help too. No urges or prolonged drinking thoughts. Great to hear you are doing well! Jim
Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

11/5/12

Always great to hear from you my friend. Sorry to hear about the damage your loved ones are having to cope with but as long as no one was hurt they can build a new life.

Yes, J and my relationship seems to get deeper and more precious almost everyday. Your right, she is a good thing to have in my life. 

A big, hardy congratulations on one year of sobriety but more than that it's wonderful to hear that you like the person you have again become.......and you're right, that's pretty cool. I'm so proud of you and hope sometime this next summer to maybe meet somewhere on two wheels.

Don't be a stranger here and call me whenever you feel like it.

Rex (rcclark99)
Staff

11/5/12

Hey Jim,

Glad to know you're still hanging around and checking the forum daily. Good to hear that the campral is working for you. I don't know a thing about it but have always believed that there are several ways to accomplish almost anything. That of course includes living a sober life.

As I told Bob, don't be a stranger, read as much as you like and post when you're ready.