CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Hello everyone   Info On Alcoholism/Addiction

Started 11/14/18 by adamlevine; 164 views.
Brian (BrianB125)
Staff

11/14/18

Hello Adam, welcome to the Forum.

Congratulations on 6 days.  Some symptoms of detox would be normal at 6 days, but I've never heard of hypersensitive skin - could be something you just didn't notice when you were drinking?  Detox symptoms can last for over a week and, in my experience, sometimes get worse with time instead of better - but they do go away.

Good luck and keep letting us know how you are doing.

Brian

MaryLouise3

11/16/18

Hi Adam, and welcome. You might want to check with your GP about that skin-crawling effect. I had itchy skin and restless nights towards the end of my drinking, a combination of dehydration and toxicity, it wore off soon after I sobered up.

Let us know how things are going -- and have  a good sober weekend!

MaryLouise

Elsie (Elsiek)

11/19/18

Hi Adam, and welcome. I too had itchy skin during the first few weeks, just as you describe- it will subside. By some people's standards I wasn't probably the most massive consumer of alcohol ever (no drinking until 5pm- then a bottle of wine, on average, sometimes a little more, at parties god knows how much) so strangely this itching was actually reassuring to me- if I had had no withdrawal symptoms at all other than a bit of insomnia I might have questioned whether I really needed to stop ( I really did need to stop!) 

Another curious thing I have discovered since stopping drinking. I have cats and occasionally we get the odd flea.I always knew there were fleas in the house instantly when I was drinking -I would get a massive reaction to a bite- they would turn into hives and were intolerably itchy-  also I would get drastic skin reactions to certain plants in the garden.  I had to take anti-histamines and they weren't strong enough to deal with the reaction properly. Since I stopped I have noticed a clear improvement in my skin sensitivity- I've done a bit of reading and alcohol contains histamines, which I assume now significantly increased my reaction to allergens. This might seem a bit counter-intuitive to the itching I got when I stopped drinking, but it shows that alcohol is a substance that affects the functioning of every part of our bodies.

Your body is recovering. Our bodies are bloody incredible. Keep at it! I will be celebrating five years soon- I didn't think I would ever do it.

Nice to meet you.

Elsie x