CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New to Forum   General Sharing

Started Feb-9 by Michaelfc23; 502 views.
Michaelfc23

Feb-10

Thank you guys for your replies Brian and MaryLouise!  I am at a point in my life that I could certainly lose my wife and kids if I continue to let that AS voice tell me that I can drink and handle it, or even more of an issue...get away with it. My family life is busy enough where I don't have the leisure to go to a bar, so really it is all about sneaking in the drinks while I am doing domestic life. My AS voice speaks to me all the time and I am ok at shutting it down, but it's almost as if I am looking for excuses to sneak in those drinks. I have been jumping into workouts lately and that has helped. And joining in on the forum is another support strategy. Wow, that was a lot in one message.

Thank you

Michael

Michaelfc23

Feb-10

I've  gone to a local Life Ring meeting. And would like to attend more. Nice group. I need to get together with friends more often, and they understand that I am trying to remain sober. Time for these things tends to be an issue. Great job on being sober since 2007!!

Thank you

Michael

MaryLouise3

Feb-11

Good to hear from you, Michael! 

How could you thwart that 'sneaking'? I found it helpful to ensure there was no alcohol in the house -- something still true and it simplifies  everything. If alcohol isn't there, I can't sneak any drinks. You might also ask your family for help -- to make sure they understand how you're struggling with this domestic temptation.

Hoping your week goes well --

MaryLouise

MaryLouise3

Feb-11

I'm happy you found a meeting, Michael. Share as much as you can to get feedback and support for what you're dealing with right now -- LifeRing is very present-focused.

MaryLouise

Michaelfc23

Feb-11

Thank you for your suggestions MaryLouise. My family is not as responsive to why I continue to break their trust as they just want it to stop.  I am interested in doing the journal entries on here. What is the best way of doing that?

Michael

MaryLouise3

Feb-12

Hi Michael, I get that -- those close to us often have trouble understanding the stop/start difficulties and the nature of alcoholic compulsion. The good thing is that once we've been sober for a continuous length of time, the trust comes back.

I'm going to check how you might start a journal here -- I think it involves clicking to bring up the journal section and then starting a new thread. Let me see. Brian may also have a clearer and simpler way to put this!

Good to see you popping back here-- posting regularly helped me so much in early years.

MaryLouise

Brian (BrianB125)

Feb-12

Michael,

Mary's instructions should work for starting a new journal - if you have any problems, let me know.

People who are not alcoholics or addicts - or who have not been around them for a long time - just cannot understand the compulsion that drives addictive behavior.  It took my wife years and many relapses on my part for her to understand.  That's why I think it helps to  join a group, even an AA group - when you are first starting to stop.  You don't have to buy into the AA message, but it really does help to be around people who do understand what you are going through.

Brian

In reply toRe: msg 10
Michaelfc23

Feb-12

Thank you Brian and MaryLouise, I started a journal tonight and feel about my first entry. Interesting putting out there what has only been inside my brain forever. I appreciate your support so far and you all are well.

Michael

In reply toRe: msg 11
Michaelfc23

Feb-12

And hope you all are well.

MaryLouise3

Feb-16

How's the weekend going, Michael? I'm well although the southern hemisphere heat is getting me down. A quiet weekend, some work and cooking -- too hot to garden. It seems  a long way off from the old weekends which revolved around drinking or white-knuckling!

All the best

MaryLouise