CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New to Forum   General Sharing

Started Feb-9 by Michaelfc23; 506 views.
Michaelfc23

Feb-11

Thank you for your suggestions MaryLouise. My family is not as responsive to why I continue to break their trust as they just want it to stop.  I am interested in doing the journal entries on here. What is the best way of doing that?

Michael

MaryLouise3

Feb-12

Hi Michael, I get that -- those close to us often have trouble understanding the stop/start difficulties and the nature of alcoholic compulsion. The good thing is that once we've been sober for a continuous length of time, the trust comes back.

I'm going to check how you might start a journal here -- I think it involves clicking to bring up the journal section and then starting a new thread. Let me see. Brian may also have a clearer and simpler way to put this!

Good to see you popping back here-- posting regularly helped me so much in early years.

MaryLouise

Brian (BrianB125)

Feb-12

Michael,

Mary's instructions should work for starting a new journal - if you have any problems, let me know.

People who are not alcoholics or addicts - or who have not been around them for a long time - just cannot understand the compulsion that drives addictive behavior.  It took my wife years and many relapses on my part for her to understand.  That's why I think it helps to  join a group, even an AA group - when you are first starting to stop.  You don't have to buy into the AA message, but it really does help to be around people who do understand what you are going through.

Brian

In reply toRe: msg 10
Michaelfc23

Feb-12

Thank you Brian and MaryLouise, I started a journal tonight and feel about my first entry. Interesting putting out there what has only been inside my brain forever. I appreciate your support so far and you all are well.

Michael

In reply toRe: msg 11
Michaelfc23

Feb-12

And hope you all are well.

MaryLouise3

Feb-16

How's the weekend going, Michael? I'm well although the southern hemisphere heat is getting me down. A quiet weekend, some work and cooking -- too hot to garden. It seems  a long way off from the old weekends which revolved around drinking or white-knuckling!

All the best

MaryLouise

Michaelfc23

Feb-18

Hi MaryLouise! My weekend was good. Got through without drinking, even though the thoughts were there. I have been getting on the treadmill and doing some workouts to burn out extra anxious energy. I like gardening too, waiting for the weather to warm up to start some early planting. Finding that my biggest obstacle right now with drinking is telling my AS "no" when I get thoughts to drink. Need aomething that will stick.

Michael

MaryLouise3

Feb-19

Hi Michael

Good that the weekend went well. I found at the beginning I needed almost constant vigilance because urges and cravings would pop up all the time -- in the early evenings, before and during weekends, when I was tired or irritable -- but also when I was cheerful and busy. Unpredictable. That in retrospect is why staying close to sober people helped because others weren't going through this kind of inward ordeal and I was encouraged by others who resisted the urges and  helped me do the same. It got easier over time and the desire to drink just faded.

MaryLouise

Michaelfc23

Feb-28

Thank you for your reassuring responses MaryLouise!  This is more difficult than I want it to be! Looking to this weekend with positivity!

Michael

MaryLouise3

Feb-29

Pop in here Michael if you are feeling urges to drink or just finding it hard to keep a certain focus. Building sobriety takes time and we've all been there.

Mary Louise