CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Still working on it   General Sharing

Started Feb-18 by daisy20111; 288 views.
daisy20111

Feb-20

Yes persisting here! The trick seems to be to stay on top of my thinking and stay out of the apartment after work. Theres a nice lake next to work and i left my sneakers at my desk.

Now that its warmer and lighter later...i dont have any excuses to not do it .

I did make it all day two days ago...and i plan to today as well..just not drink no matter what...just today

Daisy

Brian (BrianB125)

Feb-20

There is that saying "one day at a time" and eventually the days add up.  Staying out of the partment is a good idea, and I always found that mild exercise is a big help - almost anything but sitting around and thinking about not drinking.  

Good luck

Brian

cookly

Feb-20

Hi Daisy, 

I'm so pleased you're sticking around here and persisting. 

Changing habits is a huge part of staying sober, I agree with you there. Its hard! Changing any one little habit is hard enough and it often seems like staying sober involves a million of them. When I first sobered up last Oct I found I was reluctant to move at all; complete lack of spontaneity. My habits had long involved a drink. The good news is, when your body is no longer being poisoned, it starts to have different needs, simpler needs like wanting to walk, or eat something nice, or get started again on a neglected hobby. 

I've long been a critic of AA, but my views are changing now as I interpret their message differently. Like the promised 'miracle'.  No fuckin' miracle happened to me when I was struggling to stay sober..bunch of religious crap and it offended me greatly. But... not sure I'd call it a miracle, but wonderful things do happen. For me, its freedom from being controlled and kept sick in body and mind, freedom to take my own control and do it openly and freely, freedom from shame and hiding and self loathing.

Hang in there. tulip Rae  

In reply toRe: msg 6
Brian (BrianB125)

Feb-20

I just noticed that in the new Delphi you can "like" messages, this is the first one I've "liked"

cookly

Feb-20

I know ! I noticed that too. 

MaryLouise3

Feb-21

Hi Daisy

As spring approaches, I'm sure it will be more tempting to get outdoors after work. Is there anyone who might join you?

Hoping you have a great weekend

xMaryLouise 

Elsie (Elsiek)

Feb-21

Hi Daisy

Many day 1s with me as well. It's the nature of the beast. Try to see it as clear evidence you need to do this.  I've said this about cravings as well. Totally evidence in action that persisting with trying to stop is exactly the right thing to do. People who are not addicted don't get cravings like we do or have done. And when you get them, you really can face them down. Hold on, take some deep breaths and keep calm. You've got this. The intensity will ease in a couple of minutes. Small goals. If you can avoid drinking this evening, tomorrow morning will feel great. 

Forgive yourself instantly for this slip/relapse. If you don't drink today that is a massive achievement and a fresh start.  

At the start, for several years really, it mattered to me that I was CHOOSING not to drink.  I would think it through, and the negative side of where a drink might lead definitely helped me to choose not to. For some reason, a very strong image in my mind is putting the kids' beautiful fluffy rabbits out in their run on the lawn one lovely summer's morning, and having to puke up on the grass.  Also, getting through my uncle's wake in one piece and then having to pull up at a disused garage nearby and vomit in the corner of the forecourt, hoping to god no one would see me. These experiences definitely helped me make the right choice long term.

Have a good weekend and just keep looking forward, you can do this xxx

daisy20111

Feb-21

Unfortunately I dont really have anyone who can join me so ill have to find a way anyway.

Ill try again today. I felt so good earlier in the week when i made it one day.

I didnt do any chorees in the evening just went for a walk.

I could also drive in to work today and either go straight to my moms and garden...or cone home and maybe just watch a movie and ignore trying to get anything done

daisy20111

Feb-21

Thank you Elise...i like the small goals suggestion. Thats very helpful...so is "you got this"