Nutrition News -  Processed Foods (156 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: luv7 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-16 7:32 AM 
To: All  (1 of 14) 

If we can just follow this good advice as much as possible, I think we'd all lose weight easier. Talking to myself of course.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318630.php

https://www.eatright.org/food/nutrition/nutrition-facts-and-food-labels/processed-foods-whats-ok-and-what-to-avoid

Reply   Options 

To: luv7 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 14) 
 411.2 in reply to 411.1 

Very good advice...I know i'm horrible about grabbing stuff for convenience and it usually is some form of processed. I've been trying to do better but it's hard cause it's everywhere

From: SA (silentarbor) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-16 11:07 AM 
To: luv7 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 14) 
 411.3 in reply to 411.1 

Good advice.  Mostly I eat home cooked meats with no coating.  I don't eat chicken strips or any of that breaded stuff.  Most of my veg is raw which means no chemical processing at all.  I use frozen veg for dh. My problem is still the stupid diet pepsi and nothing is more processed than that junk!  It's been so hot here lately that I'm constantly searching for iced something and I don't like water.  Just my issue...

From: luv7 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-16 6:12 PM 
To: AudreyInCa DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 14) 
 411.4 in reply to 411.2 

It can be hard to walk the line of non-processed foods. I figure even if I cut way down it should help out.

From: luv7 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-16 6:17 PM 
To: SA (silentarbor) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 14) 
 411.5 in reply to 411.3 

Hey SA everyone has something they are wrestling with. I have a weakness for popcorn, cheese and potatoes with butter or coconut oil. The only justification I can say about it is that at least it is organic. We haven't given up soda's completely. I like water, but sometimes I put a little bit of honey in it and lemon juice or other times put a little bit of cranberry juice in it. 

At least I snacked on 2 carrots this evening.

From: SA (silentarbor) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-16 8:40 PM 
To: luv7 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 14) 
 411.6 in reply to 411.5 

Hey, Luv, Good to see you!  I think I would be down to my target weight of 110 lbs if I could ditch the diet pepsi.  But I'm a bunch more than that.  Sometimes dh wants popcorn so I'll eat some what I call Nerd Style popcorn.  No salt, no butter, no nothing on it.  Just air popped corn.  (I call it nerd style because it tastes rather like those styrofoam packing peanuts that are also called nerds in some areas.)  The only problem with it is that it's very high carb.  2 carrots is a lot better snack!  I haven't even eaten supper tonight.  For years I only ate a small lunch because I had reflux so bad that I wanted nothing to do with food.  Then I had surgery for the reflux and now I can eat, but often forget to.

From: luv7 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-17 6:37 PM 
To: SA (silentarbor) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 14) 
 411.7 in reply to 411.6 

I used to have a hot air popcorn and used it so much for SO many years, finally one day it just blew up! Now I just pop it in my iron skillet. I have about decided to buy a professional antiquey looking popcorn popper and put it on the porch for the warm weather and give our neighbors some of the "showtime" popcorn! LOL I know it is sort of carbie. But you know, you have to enjoy yourself in this life a little bit have a little fun sometime. If that takes popcorn for me, then, so be it.  I put either coconut oil, olive oil or butter on my popcorn, then a dash of sea salt. 

Actually I like carrots for snacking. I buy organic ones at Walmart and they are delicious. I very rarely forget to eat. It would be good if I did. 

I have a girlfriend who has acid reflux pretty bad, but she has not had the surgery. She sleeps with her upper body raised. 

Good to see you too. I bet you have everything planted now!

From: SA (silentarbor) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-17 8:05 PM 
To: luv7 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 14) 
 411.8 in reply to 411.7 

Oh, I love those antique-y popcorn poppers!  Never had one but they look so cool!  And that buttered popcorn is the best.

Carrots are higher carb than I'm supposed to have too.  My diet is very restrictive; not that it helps the weight loss.  It's so restricted that I now have to take huge doses of vitamin D and calcium.  For several years I was eating small amounts of low fat meat and unlimited leafy greens and other low carb veg.  No beans or peas in any form, no potatoes, no corn, no dairy, no grains.  Probably a lot of other noes but I can't remember them all now.  

I tried the head raised on the bed thing and using a wedge pillow and all that.  Gastroenterologist had me taking 13 prescription pills every day.  So many that they made me nauseated to take them all.  When he wanted to add another pill I told him to forget and get the surgery done!  The surgery isn't a complete fix but it helped a lot.

Oh ho ho...You want to come help me finish planting?  I still have a shelf in the greenhouse full of tomatoes and peppers.  I wish you lived close enough; I'd give away tomato plants!

From: luv7 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-18 5:45 PM 
To: SA (silentarbor) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 14) 
 411.9 in reply to 411.8 

Wow what a diet! I am so against Drs. All they want to do is push the pills. I have heard they get a kick back and are also required to push them. NOT right!  We can educate ourselves right here on the web! The pills can make us sick and sicker! I just do not trust them at all!

I think I have about 19 tomato plants in there! Some sunflowers and zinna's around and about for color. Okra, yellow squash and bell peppers. In the back yard: Beets that do not look good at all! Chives, Tarragon and Parsley. I have some Greek Oregano that looks really good and flowers, shrubs etc that are happy. The soil here is horrible! 

From: SA (silentarbor) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-18 7:31 PM 
To: luv7 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 14) 
 411.10 in reply to 411.9 

My dr is mostly pretty good about not doing the pills.  The first time I saw him he looked at my meds list and asked if I'd like to get rid of most of them.  Well yeah!!  I've changed my diet so hopefully those supplements are going to be a short term thing.

You've got a lot of plants out there.  I have an acre and too much to count but it's all looking good.  When we moved here 20 years ago the soil was so bad I couldn't even find a worm.  I've added compost every year and now I've got the best soil I've ever seen.  I use composted manure and shredded leaves and grass clippings.  I just dump it on in the autumn and by Spring it's ready to plant.  Happy worms and happy plants.  :)

Tomorrow dh is going to help me empty the greenhouse.  I have hot peppers, sweet peppers, and half a dozen different kinds of tomatoes to get out still.  I won't start that much next Spring!  My parsley, oregano, chives, etc. all came up from last year.  Every year I dehydrate some of the herbs to use through the winter.  I have too many squash bugs around here so don't usually get a good crop of those.  Funny because in Idaho I could grow enough summer squash to feed the whole city!

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-14
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.