General Discussion -  Are You Scale Obsessed? (298 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 34) 

How often do you weigh yourself?  I am very much scale obsessed in another thread I mentioned how it is almost like an addiction for me. I religiously weigh myself every single day...which my trainer has told me contributes to my body dysmorphic issues. I have lost 75lbs but when I look in the mirror I don't see that...he said weighing every day contributes to that due to the fact our weight fluctuates so much from one day to the next. I see the number and if it's not low like I want it distorts what I see in the mirror cause i'm so focused on that number when in fact I could be losing inches instead.

I have challenged myself to try to get off the scale...i weighed myself yesterday and then put my scale away in my spare room and i'm going to try really hard not to weigh again until next Tuesday.  This was really a struggle for me this morning...I had a real hard time not getting on that scale...but I didn't do it.

So are you or have you ever been scale obsessed?  If you were how did you stop yourself from weighing constantly and if you are now...what will you do to stop if anything?

Reply   Options 

From: SA (silentarbor) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-16 5:56 PM 
To: AudreyInCa DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 34) 
 413.2 in reply to 413.1 

Good for you, Audrey!  I used to weigh every day.  Then I discovered that I could weigh once, drink an 8 oz glass of water and get on the scales again to find 5 lbs more staring at me!  That's when I lost my faith in scales and started relying on how my clothes fit.  I do weigh Friday morning before eating or drinking anything just to keep track of things a bit.  

To: SA (silentarbor) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 34) 
 413.3 in reply to 413.2 

That's why I would always get up, pee and then weigh before i ate or drank anything. I always feel that's the most accurate cause I do know my weight fluctuates throughout the day so I would never weigh after i ate or drank.  Hopefully I can stick to the once a week thing...if i make it past the morning then i'm good it's the hardest first thing in the morning

From: DonnaMira-VA (DONNAMIRA) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-16 7:50 PM 
To: AudreyInCa DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 34) 
 413.4 in reply to 413.1 

I weigh myself once a day, and attempt to keep the conditions the same.  Where i’m obsessive, is entering the data in a spreadsheet, then plotting it.  I have the daily number, a 3-day running average, a weekly average, with a couple different plots. I haven’t tried to fit a curve yet - wait, yes, I did twice estimate a straight line, to predict when I’ll hit my targets. I noticed that the downward slope increased after gardening season began.  :)  I did weigh myself throughout the day once, to see how much the daily routine affected my weight, because my starting number was the weight recorded in the doctor’s office last November, where I was fully dressed with shoes on, in the early afternoon. Based on that, I adjusted my starting weight down 1 pound( for the shoes). 

hobbit

From: SA (silentarbor) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-16 8:34 PM 
To: AudreyInCa DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 34) 
 413.5 in reply to 413.3 

I know.  I just can't figure out why on earth 8 ounces of water weighs 5 lbs.  Makes no sense to me at all.  Good luck sticking to the once a week date with the scales!  I usually weigh on Friday because Monday is a horrible day for me.  If dh cooks one or two meals on the weekend I'm sunk.

To: DonnaMira-VA (DONNAMIRA) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 34) 
 413.6 in reply to 413.4 

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that obsesses about the numbers although I definitely don't keep a spreadsheet I do log it into my fit bit. I like to weigh myself before I go to the doctors so when they weigh me with my clothes and shoes on...i can then tell them how much i really weigh ??

To: SA (silentarbor) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 34) 
 413.7 in reply to 413.5 

That's why I'm going to do Tuesday if I had a bad weekend and retained any water I can get rid of that on Monday then weigh Tuesday. Crazy how calculated I try to be lol

From: SA (silentarbor) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-16 8:42 PM 
To: AudreyInCa DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 34) 
 413.8 in reply to 413.7 

LOL  Audrey, we have to take control where we can.  On my weigh days, I get up, pee, and weigh before putting on any clothes or shoes or anything...  The drs don't believe that my clunky old shoes weigh so much.  They count as weights when I'm exercising.

To: SA (silentarbor) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 34) 
 413.9 in reply to 413.8 

My routine is the same when I weigh too and when I go to the doctor I'm always at least 3lbs more.

To: AudreyInCa DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 34) 
 413.10 in reply to 413.1 

I weigh myself every day.  Doctor's orders.  And I enter the numbers in a spreadsheet and graph them.  If I gain or lose 4 pounds in one day, it's water weight.  Which is important to keep track of for my cardiac issues.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-34
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.