Bill Condie (PBG)

MacWinDOS: The Cross-Platform Forum

Hosted by Bill Condie (PBG)

The title says it all . . . it's about Macs, Linux & Windows in all flavors, internet security, whatever -- and we love emulation too! It is not a place to chat about the weather or the social scene :-)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Catching up   General

Started Oct-12 by Bill Condie (PBG); 716 views.
Bill Condie (PBG)

Oct-12

Sorry to take so long replying. An email from Lauri brought me back to life.

Still surviviing here in South Florida, a long way fom my roots, like you.  How's Korea? 

Nice to have you back. We feared the worst, of course!

All is well in Korea.  Business as usual.  I'm really busy but might as well be, since I can't really travel too far.  Enjoyed a nice run along 20 km of the DMZ a few weeks ago.  That was neat!

Bill Condie (PBG)

Oct-12

The worst is yet to come :-)

Tell all!  What do you DO there? And is the DMZ now for tourists and joggers?

I was reading our old posts. Thomas Raddall  brought me to Nova Scotia and I was stunned to learn hardly anyone knew who he was.

asyop

Oct-13

So you can visit DMZ? Sounds dangerous! I remember when I visited my brother in Zimbabwe. It was the year 1990. One night I was driving around the streets of Harare, it was quite late. There were soldiers building a roadblock ... I popped out of the car, a bit stupidly maybe, without any sense of possible danger ... the guys pushed their assault riffles against my stomach. But in the end, they turned out to be nice fellows. The road just needed to be closed -- they told me that it was necessary to do this every evening because the president's wife, Mrs. Mugabe, could not sleep otherwise! Haha! I had to find my way up north to Borrowdale using other streets!

Lauri

In reply toRe: msg 4
Bill Condie (PBG)

Oct-13

Ooops.. that is for Clockwork. My danger days are over. I hope

asyop

Oct-13

Ok :)

About danger.

I remember now another story. My first visit to the USA ever! Maybe in 1999 ... I'm not quite sure.

It was to Reading, PA. The trip was intended to fix the problems at the local newspaper, Reading Eagle. And also to teach me how the papers were published over there ... it was surprising how many small details there are in different countries. I had to tackle them all. I seem to remember that this was the time of QuarkXPress, not yet InDesign.

Anyway, they told me (and to my fellow coworker) that this is a dangerous city ... we should not go out at night. Of course we did not care about warnings -- young and stupid.

So, after walking around a bit, on our way to a local 7/24, we passed through an underpass. And then I smelled it: a strong smell of burnt cordite ... the smokeless powder used in small arms. I had my army days. Somebody had just shot here! We started to walk a bit faster, and eventually got back to our hotel alive!

Many more funny things happened during my visit! I will write about them either here, Macintoshgarden, or somewhere else. Now my fingers are too tired of typing! Haha!

I don't really understand why, but everywhere I go, strange things seem to happen! Could it be that even though I'm old (relatively) I'm still a bit like a child: walking around this globe eyes wide open.

Lauri

In reply toRe: msg 6
Bill Condie (PBG)

Oct-13

A man of many parts! Is yout CV around anywhere?

asyop

Oct-14

Alas, no CV available. My Net presence has been for a long time almost next to nothing. Just recently, I got the inspiration to contact good old fellows. A good thing, I think, let's see how long that will last.

I'm also curious, what exactly ClockWise is doing in Korea. Could you please share something about that?

And you Bill, you did not answer to my question in the email. Are you feeling healthy etc? Sounds like you are :)

Lauri

In reply toRe: msg 8
Bill Condie (PBG)

Oct-14

OK You are a gnuine guru when I was a plodder.

We both did Quark and I still do. What did you do when you started making money??

My brain seems healthy, apart from typing, but the body is getting real slow. I tell friends, I wish I felt as good as you say I look!

I'm hoping Clockwork will tell us all!!!

One notable thing about Canada is that no one knows about anyone.  There are about six national heroes and everyone else is mostly forgotten.  Oh well.  So it goes.

I used to go to a public library named after Thomas Raddall but that branch close about 20 years ago.

We can't enter the DMZ, but we can jog along the fences.  Actually, the fences are at the edge of the "civilian containment zone" which is not technically the DMZ.  Just a separate buffer zone meant to keep people away.  There are a few observation decks where you can borrow some binoculars and peer out to the bad side.

There is an annual DMZ marathon along this route, actually.