Bill Condie (PBG)

MacWinDOS: The Cross-Platform Forum

Hosted by Bill Condie (PBG)

The title says it all . . . it's about Macs, Linux & Windows in all flavors, internet security, whatever -- and we love emulation too! It is not a place to chat about the weather or the social scene :-)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Today's Emulation   General

Started Oct-15 by Bill Condie (PBG); 696 views.
In reply toRe: msg 2
Bill Condie (PBG)

Oct-19

Ah, the good old days

asyop

Oct-30

Marc did a great job. I was glad to be able to help him! Haha!

Lauri

PS
If you think that you got of the hook, think again! I'm a Finn, remember, stubborn. Someday I will squeeze the facts out of you, what really happened in Argentine!
asyop

Oct-31

I have seen both of these motion pictures and they were very, very good ...  except the obvious Hollywood clichés and imagination, I can live with that :)

And actually I cannot deny it, those small dramatizations only made the story enjoyable ...

But still, I am always much more interested in real-life stories :) People have seen so much, and so many stories are left untold ...

In my experience, people seem to think that their own stories are "boring" -- and that is one of the many reasons they hesitate to tell what happened. But I think that the stories seem to be boring only because they know them already! In the ears of the other people, who knows how interesting they might be!

Ok, enough of that ...

Lauri

In reply toRe: msg 8

Speaking of emulation, here's a project you might be interested in: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cockatrice/

Someone is porting Christian's original Basilisk II version (.8) over to modern systems, including Windows, and adding features along the way.  Basically what you did 22 years ago!  

asyop

Oct-31

I noticed this Cockatrice project years ago and I read his blog. Which was interesting! But it seemed to me that he put the project on hold. And now after following the link you provided, it looks like he or someone else is actively continuing the project ?!?! Thanks for that information, made my day! I don't have the energy to look into what they are currently doing, I mean the details. No doubt I'll do that sooner or later.

Lauri

In reply toRe: msg 10

I think he updates it periodically.  Once I get a few updates finished on the E-Maculation wiki I will check it out.  Maybe write a few basic instructions on how to set it up, since it doesn't come with a GUI.

It is likely more stable than the current Basilisk II JIT that we use for Windows (that's the one Gwenole developed).

In reply toRe: msg 10
asyop

Oct-31

Aha! I found it. It's the year 2014. His blog:

https://virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/2014/10/09/announcing-cockatrice-iii/

To quote him:

"The harder part was Windows, as the system code written by Lauri Pesonen who did an excellent job of porting BasiliskII to Windows, but to say their code took 100% advantage of the Win32 API would be an understatement.."

... and he was right, in my quest to make the port as good as I could, I missed all  the aspects of portability to other platforms etc. It was a trade-off that had downsides, too.

Lauri

In reply toRe: msg 12
asyop

Oct-31

>> Once I get a few updates finished on the E-Maculation wiki I will check it out.

Please do, I notify me somehow!

Lauri