PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Right standing with GOD #3   T. Austin Sparks

Started Oct-2 by PAULFROMNYS; 47 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-2

Chapter 2 - The Eternal Thought

It is probable that some of you were not here with us last evening. I would like therefore, to say that what we are going to think about this afternoon is following on what we were doing last evening. You will understand that there has been something before this, but I will do my best to link you on with that so that we can just continue. 

The thing that the Lord has laid on my heart for this time is that which has come in with the Lord Jesus. That is, what it was that came into this world with the Lord Jesus; what He brought in with Him, and therefore what we as Christians have come into in the Lord Jesus. It is just the crisis which was reached when Jesus came into this world. It was a crisis for all time. I am more and more convinced as I travel about the world that there is a very great need of recovering the true meaning of Christianity. Even Christians everywhere do not understand what they have come into. I believe that ninety percent of all our troubles are due to that. If we went to the Lord with many of our troubles and asked Him to tell us why it is we’re in this trouble, He would just say, “Well, this is just exactly what I told you; you have not understood what I told you.”

In reply toRe: msg 1
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-2

Now, let me illustrate it in this way. When we were young (of course that’s a long time ago for some of us!) there was a game that we used to play at our Christmas parties. All the people present would be formed into a big circle and then one person at the beginning of the circle would whisper in the ear of the next person something. You know this game? And that person would say it to the next person, and so it passed right round the circle. And then the last person would have to say out loud what they had received. And of course there was a great deal of laughter. The thing had gathered a lot of other things as it went on, or it had lost a lot of things. And when it comes out at the end you hardly recognize what was said at the beginning.

In reply toRe: msg 2
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-2

Now evidently you know that game. I think that’s like Christianity. Of course Christianity is not a game. It’s a very serious business. But it’s been passed on around great circles through many generations and as it has gone on, it has lost something. It has gained a lot of other things and you can hardly recognize now that that is the original thing. People have just said what they thought they heard. Men have given their own interpretations and here today we have a Christianity that is not the original. Indeed, many Christians have a Christ who is not the original Christ. 

In reply toRe: msg 3
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-2

Now I am not saying that that is true about you; of course, you are all right! Are you all right? Do you not need to be put right about your Christianity? Do you not need to have Christianity explained to you? Is there not something to be recovered? Is there not something to let go? But it’s just that that we’re occupied with in these days. And if you think this does not apply to you, I can tell you that the one who is speaking to you knows how true it is, I’m always getting into difficulties with the Lord. Does that sound very terrible? Sometimes I almost have a quarrel with the Lord, “Now Lord, are You quite sure You’re right in what You’re doing with me? Are You quite sure that You’re right in the way You’re leading me?” And He just says, “Go back to My Word.” 

In reply toRe: msg 4
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-2

Shall I give an illustration? A few weeks ago I got very discouraged in ministry. Oh, how difficult this work of the Lord is! What a lot of difficult people! What a lot of difficult problems. And all our teaching seems to get such a little way... And so I went to the Lord, I said “Lord, I think it’s time I retired. I think I have done enough. Now Lord, will You excuse me? Pass it on to others and let me finish my days quietly.”  Well, of course you may say, “Well, poor chap. He’s in a bad way.” So I talked to the Lord with my trouble. Then early in the morning I opened my Bible and what did my eyes come on? There it was, straight between my eyes: “Preach the Word!  Be instant in season and out of season.  Reprove, rebuke and exhort with all long suffering.”  There it is in the Word. We get into our troubles because we get away from the beginning. When we come back to the original Word, the Lord has the answer for all our problems. 

In reply toRe: msg 5
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-2

Well now, having said that, let us come back to our subject. You know last night we were in the Gospel by John, we’re going to say a few more things about this Gospel. Of course I expect that people who come to conferences know their Bibles so that it is not necessary for me to tell you what is in the Bible. My work is to try to explain what is in the Bible, because you know your Bibles I have the ground laid for what I have to say. 

In reply toRe: msg 6
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-2

Now, to begin with you know that the Gospel by John is the eternal Gospel. Matthew, Mark, Luke are the Gospels of history. They begin with the birth of the Lord Jesus, or in the case of Mark, the beginning of His earthly ministry. They are historical Gospels. When you come to John, you get outside of history. You’re going to come into history, but you begin outside, right back in the eternity past, “In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God, the Word was God.” Then history, “Through Him, by Him, all things were made” but John’s Gospel from beginning to end is set in the eternal. Please try to remember that as we go on.