PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Right standing with GOD #6   T. Austin Sparks

Started Oct-4 by PAULFROMNYS; 88 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-4

Chapter 3 - The New Creation

We were speaking about right standing with God. We have pointed out that the whole Bible has to do with this one thing. All the things that are in the Bible from the beginning to the end have to do with standing right with God. We have seen that the whole race in Adam does not stand right with God. Therefore, by nature we are all wrong people. Christians know that best. They know quite well that naturally we are wrong. Not only that we do wrong and speak wrong, but we are wrong. Our natures are wrong. We have no right standing with God. That is, as we have seen, the meaning of the word “righteousness”.

In reply toRe: msg 1
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-4

But Jesus came into this world as the right Man. He is the right Man, He has right standing with God. You should read the gospel by John in the light of that. John’s Gospel especially, shows us how Jesus had a right position with His Father. So, there is a wrong man and a right Man. I think it was Martin Luther who said that Jesus is God’s right Man. Well now, this evening we’re going to be occupied for a little while with the Right Man.

There are two things with which we begin and we are in the Gospel by John. First of all, the Son of God is presented to us as God’s thought concerning man. He is immediately brought into view as the personal expression of God’s thought concerning man. Everybody will agree with that! We would all say, yes, He is the right Man.

In reply toRe: msg 2
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-4

The second thing that comes out in this Gospel is that what is true of the Lord Jesus as Man, is to be made true of all the children of God. The Gospel is that God has made His Son the ground of our right standing with God. The apostle Paul put it this way: that He, Jesus, is made unto us Wisdom, Righteousness, Sanctification, Redemption from God. Is there anything more that you want than that? Made unto us wisdom; righteousness... right standing with God; sanctification; redemption. He is made all that to us. We, therefore, are to be made like unto God’s Right Man.

In reply toRe: msg 3
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-4

Now this afternoon we just pointed out that John’s Gospel begins just as the book of Genesis begins: “In the beginning God...” and we know that that beginning was of the creation. The beginning of the creation was God. Now John says about Jesus Christ, God’s Son, that all things were created by Him, through Him and unto Him and without Him was not anything created that has been created; so that He is the beginning of the creation. Now John takes up those very words and takes them from the natural creation and puts them on the spiritual creation. He applies them now to what Paul calls the new creation in Christ Jesus. And there Paul says, “If any man is in Christ, there is a new creation”. Let me repeat: the new creation man is to take the image of God’s ideal Man. So John sets us on the course of the new creation and I think this evening we shall only be able to speak about perhaps one feature of the new creation.

In reply toRe: msg 4
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-4

You’ll notice this thing: the new creation, the spiritual creation, follows the course of the old creation in principle. That will become clear immediately. Now we look into this Gospel by John. What do we find? We find that first of all John introduces the new creation and he makes Jesus Christ the first Man of this new creation. And then right through this Gospel John tells us what this new Man is like.

What are the features, the characteristics of this new creation Man? And as I speak I want you to just remember that you are supposed to be that. We are not only speaking about something that’s in the Bible. We are not only speaking about some great system of truth. We are speaking about men and women and I suppose we all come into that category! Is there any other category here tonight? And you’ll remember when God created man He created women also, but He called them both “man”. So you women are men! You cannot just step aside and say, “Well, he’s talking to the men”. We’re talking about ourselves. If we are children of God we are looking at our own portrait and we’re going to ask ourselves, “Well is that true of me? Am I like that?”

In reply toRe: msg 5
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-4

What is the first thing in the creation? Do you remember? “In the beginning God... God said... Let light be.” The first thing about the old creation was light. Now look at the Gospel by John. Just pick up the first chapter of John’s Gospel, do remember that John did not write his Gospel in chapters. It was many, many centuries afterward that a Frenchman made out the chapters. Of course it’s very useful but sometimes it’s misleading. When John wrote his Gospel he wrote straight on without any chapter divisions. He did not write a chapter on one subject and then another chapter on another subject and then another chapter on some other subject. He was writing about one thing. And as he went on he was just developing this one thing. It is very important that you should recognize this.

In reply toRe: msg 6
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-4

John, when he wrote this Gospel, was a very old man. All the other apostles had gone to the Lord and John had spent some time at the end of his life in exile on the isle of Patmos. We do not know exactly how long he was there, but he was there long enough to write the book of the Revelation. I think he was there much longer than that for he wrote his Gospel after he had written the book of the Revelation. I’m not saying that he wrote the Gospel on the isle of Patmos, but my point is this: John had had a very long life and a very full life. He had been with Jesus all the time He was here - that is, while Jesus was teaching and working - and he says at the end of his Gospel, “If all the things were written down that Jesus said and did, the world would not hold the books”.

Now, John had all that and in his exile he had had plenty of time to think. He was very much occupied with all that he had come to know. This Gospel of John’s which was the last writing of the New Testament, contains all this that John had. That is, behind this Gospel was all this great knowledge that John had. These are not just things that he wrote down. This writing is full of a tremendous knowledge, spiritual knowledge; a knowledge which God had given him.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Oct-5

I really love John. It is a fact that when Peter, Paul, and John were called they were occupied doing something which became prophetic. In Mark 1:16-17 Peter and his brother were fishing and the Lord said, "Come after Me, and I will cause you to become fishers of men." In verse 19-20, John and his brother were mending their nets when the Lord called them. Later Jesus called Saul of Tarsus, who by trade was a tentmaker. He became a "wise master builder."

Mark 1:16-20  And passing beside the Sea of Galilee, He saw Simon and Andrew, Simon’s brother, casting a net in the sea, for they were fishermen. And Jesus said to them, Come after Me, and I will cause you to become fishers of men. And immediately leaving the nets, they followed Him. And going on a little, He saw James the son of Zebedee and John his brother, who also were in their boat, mending the nets. And immediately He called them, and leaving their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired servants, they went after Him.

So Peter became a fisher of men, casting the net and bringing in many sinners into God's salvation. Paul took the saved sinners and built them into local churches to constitute the Body of Christ. 

1 Corinthians 3:9-10 For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s cultivated land, God’s building. According to the grace of God given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid a foundation, and another builds upon it. But let each man take heed how he builds upon it.

By 90 a.d., the churches had fallen into degradation. (Revelation 1-3) so God raised up John to write his gospel, his epistles, and the capstone of the entire Bible, the Revelation, to mend the net, to recover God's dwelling place, the Body of Christ, which is expressed as local churches, the golden lampstands. John is the apostle of life and the apostle of God's recovery. 

So in these three representative brothers, Peter, Paul, and John, there is the preaching of the gospel, the building up of God's dwelling place, Satan's degradation and damage, and God's recovery by life. This is God's way.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Oct-5

TAS said:

Therefore, by nature we are all wrong people. Christians know that best. They know quite well that naturally we are wrong.

Only Christ is right with God. Whatever of Christ is in us, God is pleased with. We are here to gain Christ.

Galatians 1:15-16a But when it pleased God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, To reveal His Son in me...

Philippians 3:8 But moreover I also count all things to be loss on account of the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, on account of whom I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as refuse that I may gain Christ

Galatians 4:19 My children, with whom I travail again in birth until Christ is formed in you,

PAULFROMNYS

Oct-6

Yes, the disciple of whom this is written:  John 21:21-24

Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee? Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man doJesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message