PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The Servant of the Lord #4   T. Austin Sparks

Started Jan-19 by PAULFROMNYS; 126 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-19

This brought his ruin, and then by prompting Adam to act by the same motive the ruin of the race was accomplished.

How is all this to be remedied? By reversing the order. There was one who had a right to equality with God - "who being on equality with God" - but who - contrary to Lucifer - "thought it not something to be grasped at." This one, in order to get down to the depths of the ruin and destroy the works of the devil, emptied Himself, humbled Himself, took the form of a bond-servant and became obedient unto death, yea, the death of the Cross. Thus only could the will of God be done in the universe; the will which destroys the other will of Satan in the world and in man, for self-will is Satan-will.

In reply toRe: msg 1
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-19

So, when the Master said "What I do thou knowest not now, but thou shalt know hereafter," He was pointing to the day when by the Spirit's illumination they would see that self-emptying and laying down of one's self was the principle of salvation, redemption, and the greatest service. He told them so clearly that they should and must lay down their lives ("souls," self-life) for one another. It is most significant, therefore, that the servant-mind of the Master in action should at once meet the impact of that vaunting self-principle in Simon which is the Satanic stake and resistance.

From this review of the position from the Divine, the Satanic, and the human standpoint, we ought to see quite clearly that the matter of service is infinitely more than busy-ness in religious causes, or earthly activities in Christian interests; it is the accomplishment of a heavenly will and Divine purpose which registers its impact in the breaking of another foreign will and destroying the works of the devil. This is the force of "obedience," and the "not my will," and this is the servant-mind and servant-spirit.

In reply toRe: msg 2
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-19

Thus, further, we must see that the relationship of bond-servants is in the very nature and essence of redemption. The blood by which we have been redeemed has become the means of a covenant of service. Amongst other things, when Israel was redeemed or delivered from the slavery of Egypt the blood of the Passover Lamb - formed into an encircling doorway as it was shed on the threshold and sprinkled above and on either side - involved and implied that they went through and out to be God's servant. Indeed the demand of Jehovah was "Let my people go that they may serve me!"

When a slave in Israel had fulfilled his time and could claim his liberty but preferred to remain with his master, he was taken on to the threshold and his ear was bored with an awl; the blood fell on the threshold and he and his master stepped across that blood, and by so doing a covenant of service - now the service of love - was entered upon. To have stepped UPON the blood and "trodden it under foot" would have been to have "counted it an unholy thing," but passing over ("passover") it hand in hand, was a covenant too sacred to ever be broken. So we are reminded that '"we are not our own, we are bought with a price, even the precious blood."

In reply toRe: msg 3
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-19

So we are reminded that '"we are not our own, we are bought with a price, even the precious blood."

The basic vision of all true service is that of the Lord high and lifted up, His train filling the Temple, resulting in ourselves being smitten to the ground with a realisation of our own worthlessness which forever makes us - not masters - but slaves, and which necessitates an abiding application of blood-soaked, fire-impregnated coal from the altar if we are to be sent-ones, His servants. Might it not be laid to our charge that our vision of service held ourselves high and lifted up and filling the frame as the goal, until we saw the Lord, and then - in that light - ourselves worthless. The Lord's need is to have bond-servants: such as - even though the extreme pressure at some time might make them say that they would "no more speak in this Name" - find that they cannot forbear for long, but, cost what it may, they must be in it and at it, the fire is in their bones and that zeal of His house eats them up. May we be such, and may the true ground and motive of this fellowship in service be :-

In reply toRe: msg 4
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-19

I love, I love my Master,
I will not go out free!
For He is my Redeemer,
He paid the price for me.
I would not leave His service,
It is so sweet and blest;
And in the weariest moments
He gives the truest rest.

My Master shed His life-blood