PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Myths   Bible discussions/all

Started Sep-16 by Fred (fnorthrup); 66 views.
Fred (fnorthrup)

Sep-16

We are told in the Scriptures not to pay attention to myths.

Titus 1:14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables (myths), and commandments of men, that turn from the truth

What are myths? They are unsubstantiatable stories not found in the Bible. Jewish myths are Jewish fables which become part of the Jewish lore. Christian myths are Christians fables which become part of the Christians lore. There is no possible way to substantiate these stories.

An example:

In a home meeting recently a sister stated, "history tells us that  the apostle John was boiled in oil but came out unscathed, and everyone present was saved."

This story is nowhere in the Bible, so what is the source? A certain writer (Tertullian ) wrote one sentence, well over 100 years after John had died regarding this. Where he got it, on one knows or can know. 200 years after Tertullian, another writer embellished it with the part about everyone present getting saved. Then it was included in Foxe's Book of Martyrs, and thus became a part of Christian lore.

Faith comes by hearing the word, not by hearing myths. We should neither give heed to nor repeat myths.

Question : How much of our "faith" consists of myths? This is an important matter.

PAULFROMNYS

Sep-16

Amen Fred.  Also how we relate, and relate to others through these issues.  The question always must be:  Is it in harmony with the Word.  Our discernment is: how does it affect US in the truth shown clearly in the Word?   As you make clear, we ought not be given to extra biblical things; we are told to prove all things.  We know 3 went into the furnace unscathed, another abode in a pit with hungered lions((which immediately devoured others when cast in)).  So could one be boiled in oil and survive?  Could such an event affect onlookers for the gospel?  Sure.  Did that event occur??  Have no idea.  What could be the danger in receiving it?  Well, it could be a harmless seed which would open our souls to other extra biblical stories, subtle error, which could grow into a life bringing shame to the gospel.  So, prove all things, and share as brethren how what is being said relates to the Word.  TAS says many things which portray the Word in a certain light to any embracing him.  I do embrace TAS as a genuine gift of GOD to the family of faith. If he says something contrary to my current understanding, I pray, and continue to thank GOD for his ministry. Bottomline = the washing of the Word is essential to arriving at all GOD desires for us.  That's why we can Malachi 3:16-18 with one another through such things.   

Fred (fnorthrup)

Sep-16

PAULFROMNYS said:

We know 3 went into the furnace unscathed, another abode in a pit with hungered lions((which immediately devoured others when cast in)). 

Stories in the Bible are the word of God, are God-breathed and are profitable. Often stories are "signs" meaning they are real stories, but they signify and convey a spiritual reality, a truth regarding Christ.

Matthew 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonah:

Jonah the prophet is a sign and the story of Jonah is a sign. 

I am learning to see the signs in the Bible. This is how God speaks, by sign language. 

Sometimes people are signs, sometimes stories are signs, sometimes objects are signs, and sometimes miracles are signs. All the miracles in the Gospel of John are called signs.

John 20:30-31 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name

The signs, if our eyes are opened to see, convey the divine, uncreated, eternal life of God into us. John wrote down the signs, that we might have life.

PAULFROMNYS

Sep-16

Yes, I hear many wonderful stories of miracles events from beloved brothers and sisters.   They are compelling many times.  Peter arriving at Rhoda's house is written for our edification.  How are we in the midst of all these things, especially in light of:  Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever.  To me, the life of it all leads us ever deeper into total abandonment to GOD. Can I truly be dead?  Am I now a new creation resurrected with/in Christ?  Tribulations requiring patience which in Christ show forth experiences with/from GOD. This in turn building Hope in the things believed, and we're not ashamed, for GOD is shedding His love abroad in our hearts through the life He is ministering us all into.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Sep-16

PAULFROMNYS said:

Yes, I hear many wonderful stories of miracles events from beloved brothers and sisters.

I should point out that testimonies are our speaking of God's operation in us. As brother James says, "the word becoming flesh in us." All genuine experiences of Christ should be our testimony. I have many testimonies. These are not myths.

On the other hand, some, (especially Pentecostals) are prone to tell stories. I have many personal experiences.

An older brother once told me with all sobriety, that Jesus had walked into his hospital room and spoken with him. I have a huge question mark regarding that story. On one hand, there is no instance, after His ascension , that Jesus appeared to anyone physically. He did appear to over 500 people for 40 days between His resurrection and His ascension. When He appeared to Saul of Tarsus, it was a light brighter than the noon day sun. When He appeared to John, John fell at His feet as dead. He had seven eyes like lamps of fire and a face that shone like the sun in its brightness and out of His mouth proceeded a sharp two edged sword.

I did not question the brother or contradict him, but I have a serious question mark because everything in the New Testament encourages us to know Him as the Spirit in and with our Spirit. What it was that walked into his room I do not know, but I don't trust it.

2 Corinthians 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

PAULFROMNYS

Sep-16

Have to leave the library shortly.  Want to reply, but don't know what to say.