PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The Recovery of Spiritual Power #7   T. Austin Sparks

Started Oct-3 by PAULFROMNYS; 132 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-3

The enemy says, "If only you will not take that step, if only you will take the line of least resistance, it will not cost you so much... you will not bring so much trouble upon yourself..." - the Lord says, "No! Not one bit, not one scrap is to be let off; all has to go." And we discover eventually, that this is the way of power, victory, ascendency, whereas that which we sought to preserve in order to get something to our advantage has become the source of weakness and has robbed us of our power and victory.

These are solemn words; let them come to our hearts in all their spiritual meaning. Forget the symbolism that has to be used. The Lord Jesus always spoke in parables. These are, in a sense, parables. The Lord would say to us, "What about your exercise before the Lord?" What is the Lord saying to you about something, some way of life or a habit, something that has delayed His will for you, a step to be taken? There are people here, (one is grieved to say it), who have heard, seen, and nothing could be clearer to them, but they have not taken certain steps of obedience to the Lord. And may that not be some explanation of a smaller measure of Divine spiritual power than there might be? Are you sure that you have gone all the way, up till this present moment, that the Lord has called you to go? Can you sit down and make up your accounts with the Lord? We must be able to say: "Everything that the Lord has shown me I have, by His grace, put down. There are no more items outstanding before the Lord".

In reply toRe: msg 1
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-3

If we hold outstanding items in the margin, it is going to bring arrest and let in a power which is going to make it a hundred times more difficult for you in a few weeks or months time, and which is going to affect the whole body of Christ in some loss. It is solemn but it is true. We may fail to go on.

Let us go to Paul on this matter. He said to the Corinthians, "Brethren I could not speak to you as unto spiritual but as unto carnal... I fed you with milk, not with meat for ye were not able to bear it, for when every one of you says I am of Paul and I of Apollos are ye not carnal?" These are personal elements, personal preferences, likes and dislikes being let in, with what result? "I could not speak unto you as unto spiritual." This is what he means, in the same paragraph: "Things which eye hath not seen nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him. But God hath revealed them unto us by His Spirit". The Lord has prepared for us here and now a fulness in the Lord Jesus, a Canaan life of His fulness in Christ. "For all the fulness dwelleth in the Lord Jesus and you are made complete (or full) in Him". The Lord wants us to come into the fulness now.

In reply toRe: msg 2
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-3

We are saints in the light now, and if we are not in the light, we ought to be. When we get to glory there is an inheritance for the sons in light, prepared for them that love Him, but "I cannot speak to you as unto spiritual", so that you are not getting "the things that God hath prepared". There is the same thing to the Hebrew believers, in Heb. 5:12: "Of whom I have many things to say but I cannot, ye are not able to bear them, because seeing that when by reason of time ye ought to be teachers, you still have need that one teach you the first principles of Christ... Of whom I have many things to say but ye cannot have them". Why? You have stopped short somewhere; you have not gone on. The Corinthians and Hebrews had not only stopped growing, but were in peril of the enemy making a mess of things; he was doing it at Corinth and about to do it among the Hebrew believers. We must go on without compromise or reservation; it is the only safe way into all the fulness. We must not hold back and whatever has occasioned this state of things, or is trying to occasion such a state of things, must be judged. The Judges have got to come in.

In reply toRe: msg 3
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-4

The Lord give us grace to judge ourselves. That does not mean a morbid introspection, always analysing ourselves. That is the way of bondage. The whole question of judging self is in relation to the Lord. Has the Lord shown anything, spoken anything, required anything; has the Lord made known? You can rest if the Lord has not made known; do not begin to enquire in your own spirit as to whether you should do this, that or the other. Keep the Lord in view; keep in touch with Him and when He speaks, obey, but let the Lord take the initiative, give Him a chance to take the initiative. He does not want us to take on the whole burden of our spiritual life. He just wants to lead us that we might walk closely with Him and maintain a line of instant and full obedience. If we can say, "Whatever the Lord has shown me I have sought diligently, by His grace, to do without hesitation", then we should be in a state of peace, rest, victory and praise. So advance into the battle, for you will never be able to fight if you have some reservation or argument with the Lord.

In reply toRe: msg 4
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-4

I think this is the key to everything else we can say; all that will follow is simply a working out of that. What the Lord wants is our full capitulation and yieldedness in absolute obedience. I expect for some this brings no specific ground of challenge, and you are able to look into the face of the Lord and say, "I do not know of anything the Lord has shown me that I have refused or shelved". That is a blessed state, and it is possible to be in that state, but remember you may meet a desperate situation and you will want to know how to meet that situation.

In reply toRe: msg 5
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-4

In nine cases out of ten, spiritual bondage can be traced back to be a refusal to go on with the Lord in the will of God. The man of God must be thoroughly furnished unto his work. This must first of all come as a challenge to our own hearts, and we must have our own exercise before God, but He must also equip us for that into which we are called because we are related to the spiritual condition of God's people everywhere. Every one of these judges suffered acutely, personally, from the conditions of the people and that is what made them able to become judges. And if the Lord is going to use an instrument for the deliverance of others, He must bring that instrument into a personal experience related to the whole condition as it is in the world today. The Lord does want to recover something which is to His glory. He must impress His own Word upon our hearts.

In reply toRe: msg 6
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-4

Chapter 4 - A Spiritual Capacity for Spiritual Things

Reading: Revelation 2:8-3:1-6.

We continue in that way in which the Lord has been leading us concerning the recovery of spiritual power. You know that we are finding our light very largely in the book of Judges, which is the book of spiritual weakness and spiritual failure. It represents the entire failure on the part of the Lord's people to make good all that the Lord had provided for them. They were brought into a state of spiritual impotence, bondage, defeat and tyranny. We are seeking to learn from this very terrible story, with its long-drawn-out period, some of the secrets of spiritual power, and I feel that what the Lord wants to say is largely pivotal to the whole subject. It represents the whole thing gathered up into one note, one emphasis, one point.

In reply toRe: msg 7
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-5

Now, as we have surveyed this book, as we have looked at the Judges, as we have looked at the forces which were at work against the Lord's people, the forces of evil which were ascendant. As we have seen something of the meaning spiritually of the men who were raised up to meet these situations, there is really only one thing which is the explanation of everything. The thing involved was the absolute sovereignty and supremacy of the Lord. That is one thing which includes everything else; it explains everything else. It was the great challenge to the absolute sovereignty and supremacy of the Lord in every sphere and in every detail of the life of His people.

We have noted that the book of Judges follows the book of Joshua and that fact gives it a very great deal of its significance. And when you get back to the book of Joshua you will remember how everything there in Joshua represents the complete dominion and the absolute sovereignty of the Lord.

In reply toRe: msg 8
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-5

As you read the closing chapters of Deuteronomy you find those glorious prophecies of absolutely triumphant possession - the assurance that the Lord had secured the whole thing already, and that all they had to do was to exercise faith in what the Lord had already in His own possession and possess it on that ground. When you open the book of Joshua you find the same emphasis. The Lord has it in His hands. The Lord is already completely Lord of the situation and the Lord has secured the utter and complete overthrow of all their enemies, and the Lord has already given them the land before they put their foot on it. The sovereignty of the Lord is proclaimed loud and long before ever they stepped forth, and then comes the word through Joshua, "By this shall ye know that the Lord of heaven and earth is with you, behold the ark of the covenant of the Lord goes before you into Jordan" (Josh. 3:10-11). We know that that represents the advance of the Lord Jesus into, and through, death triumphantly. And it is tremendously impressive that the implication there is that because the Lord Jesus has ploughed His way triumphantly through death and the grave, the complete ascendency is secured for the Lord's people, and the Lord triumphant in possession of the issue fully and finally is with them on that ground. "By this shall ye know that the living God is among you" (Josh. 3:10).

In reply toRe: msg 9
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-5

"All authority hath been given unto Me in heaven and on earth - and lo I am with you always". The Lord has secured it Himself completely by His own initiative and He is sovereign Lord of the whole situation, and a moving forth in complete unquestioning faith with a word, on that basis, is the method of possession. Jericho being encompassed seven days in silence represents the unquestioning, unhesitating, unargued acceptance of the absolute victory which is in the hands of the Lord. Without a word. The people were prepared to be a spectacle, to be laughed at, to accept all that is involved in that peculiar behaviour, for faith always brings us into peculiar and ridiculous situations from the natural standpoint, and of being considered extraordinary and singular from the natural. But they accepted all that. Faith was complete in the fact that nothing was to be done but "believe God" and that He was Sovereign of the situation. And that ark going before through Jordan was a sign that it was all well, all done in God and by God.    4t