PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The Anointing of the Holy Spirit #1   T. Austin Sparks

Started May-26 by PAULFROMNYS; 25 views.
PAULFROMNYS

May-26

The Anointing of the Holy Spirit
by T. Austin-Sparks

Chapter 1 - The Anointing to Minister

Reading: Luke 3:21,22, 4:1,2,18,19; Acts 4:27, 10:38; 2 Cor. 1:21,22; 1 John 2:20,27; 1 Sam. 16:11-14; 2 Sam. 7:8.

I am quite sure that many of the Lord's people are none too clear upon the different aspects of the Holy Spirit's Presence and ministry in the life of the believer, and that there is a good deal of confusion; that terms become mixed and there is not clear discernment of the specific significance of each term used in the Word of God. I mean the fact that we hear of those in the New Testament who were baptised with the Spirit, and filled with the Spirit, and sealed by the Spirit, and anointed; and it is important that we should be able to discriminate on these matters. It is not my intention to lead you out in such a discrimination, that may come itself as we go on. What I am concerned and occupied with is the anointing as representing some particular aspect of the Holy Spirit's presence and work.

In reply toRe: msg 1
PAULFROMNYS

May-26

The anointing of the Holy Spirit need not be something apart from, or distinct from, our definitely receiving the Holy Spirit. That is not always so. It may depend very largely upon the measure in which we apprehend the truth of the Spirit. There is that instance in Acts 19: "Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?" making the receiving of the Holy Spirit something subsequent to believing. The context shows quite clearly that there was absolutely no light whatsoever upon the truth of the Holy Spirit, and those spoken to were in utter ignorance as to whether the Holy Spirit was. The question by the Apostle there was evidently asked because he had discerned the absence of what he knew to be an essential of a true and full life in Christ. That may be an exceptional case, for in most instances in the New Testament we find the Holy Spirit coming, possessing, and often filling at the time of believing and of the exercise of saving faith and of a consecration or surrender to our enthroning of the Lord Jesus. But I repeat, it is not necessarily a thing apart that we receive the anointing; it is a part of our understanding of the truth; it is something to be understood. In the understanding of it then, is particular value.