PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The inner man of the heart #1   T. Austin Sparks

Started Nov-26 by PAULFROMNYS; 376 views.
In reply toRe: msg 3
PAULFROMNYS

Nov-26

What a great - and in most people - almost complete, place and dominance is held by feelings and emotions. On the one hand, fear, grief, pity, curiosity, pleasure, pride, admiration, shame, surprise, love, regret, remorse, excitement, etc. Or in another direction; imagination, apprehensiveness, fancy, doubt, introspection, superstition, analysis, reasonings, investigation, etc. Or in a third direction, desires; for possession, knowledge, power, influence, position, praise, society, liberty, etc. And still in another direction; determination, reliance, courage, independence, endurance, impulse, caprice, indecision, obstinacy, etc. These all in their respective directions representing the emotional, the intellectual, the volitional, are the components of the soul. Now consider how much of this has its place in Christian life and service, from the first step in relation to the gospel through all the course of Christian activity. It is here that we ask for patience in pursuing the subject when we make the tremendous affirmation that all this -  the sum total of human feeling, reasoning, and willing may be placed to the account of the matter of salvation, either for ourselves or for others, and yet be utterly unprofitable and of NO account.

In reply toRe: msg 4
PAULFROMNYS

Nov-26

We recognise that if the full impact of this declaration, with all its implications was to come by revelation to the "inner man" of Christian people and workers it would be nothing short of revolutionary in all methods, means, and motives. Surely, for instance, we know by now that remorse and regret for sin leading to tears and resolutions, does not mean salvation. Decisions, confessions, and religious feelings, are no criteria, any more than are reasoned conclusions, intellectual convictions, mental acceptances, aspirations after the sublime, the beautiful, the "good." Does someone enquire then "do you rule out the intellect, the reason, the emotions, the human will or resolution?" and our answer is emphatically we do rule all this out as an initial and basic factor in the matter of salvation, it is secondary, later, and even then only a bond-slave and not a master.

In reply toRe: msg 5
PAULFROMNYS

Nov-26

Let us ask some questions which will clarify the matter. What was it or where was it that death took place when "death passed upon all," and it came true that was said "in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die"? Was it the body? Obviously not. Was it the soul? If our foregoing description truly represents the soul, then, again, obviously not. Repudiating the suggestion that the words were but a sentence of death to be carried out at some future time, there remains but the third part of man's "whole," namely his spirit. That was the topstone of God's creative work. The organ in man of all the Divine activity; the sphere and instrument of all the operations of God. God is a spirit, and only spirit can have access to or fellowship with spirit.

Only spirit can know spirit. 1 Corinthians 2:9-11.

Only spirit can serve spirit. Romans 1:9, 7:6, 12:11.

Only spirit can worship God Who is Spirit. John 4:23,24. Philippians 3:3.

Only spirit can receive revelation from God Who is spirit. Revelation 1:10. 1 Corinthians 2:10.

We shall return to this later.

In reply toRe: msg 6
PAULFROMNYS

Nov-26

Let it be clearly recognised that God determined to have all His dealings with man and fulfil all His purposes through man by means of that in man which was "after His own likeness," that is, his spirit; but this spirit of man for all such Divine intentions must be kept in living union with Himself, and never for one instant infringe the laws of its Divine union by crossing over to the outer circle of the soul at the call of any emotion, suggestion, argument or desire coming from without. When this took place death entered, and the nature of death, as the word is used in the scriptures, is severance in the Divine union of spirit. This does not mean that man no longer had a spirit, but that the ascendency of the spirit was surrendered to the soul and this at a time when the soul had accepted from without by desire, and reason, that which was intended to draw away from fellowship with God. "Drawn away by his own lusts (desires)."

This is where the "fall" begins, all else follows. From that time the inclusive designation of man in a state of separation from spirit union and life with God is "flesh."

Fred (fnorthrup)

Nov-29

TAS said:

The only oneness of the three, spirit, soul, and body, is in that they compose or comprise one man.

The two great beginning points of understanding the Bible are (1) To understand God, the divine Trinity, according to the revelation of the Holy Scriptures, and, (2) To understand ourselves, who are made in the image and according to the likeness of the Triune God. We are tripartite.

These two matters have been the subject of most of my posting on Bible forums and are, in my view, critical to our faith. We must receive grace from God to turn from traditions, philosophy, opinions, denominational dogma, and historic creeds to come back to the Word of God to know God and to know why and how He created us and why He has gone to so much trouble to redeem and save us, to sanctify us completely, spirit, soul and body.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Nov-29

TA Sparkssaid:

That which makes man unique in the whole realm of creation is not that he is or has a soul, but that he has a spirit, and it may be that uniting in one personality of soul and spirit makes him unique beyond this creation, in the whole universe.

This is true. Animals have a soul, but they do not have a spirit. Angels are spirits, but they do not have a spirit, an organ to receive and have fellowship with God. They are sent to serve those who are to inherit salvation. 

Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth for service for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?

I recently read a critique online of Watchman Nee, who wrote a book titled "The Spiritual Man." The critique was, " Watchman Nee's erroneous and dangerous teaching, based on only two verses in the Bible, 1 Thessalonians 5:23 and Hebrews 4:12...."

My reaction was firstly, how many verses does something need to be stated in the Bible before it is not erroneous and dangerous? Is there a minimum amount?

Secondly, I could cite from memory many, many verses in both the Old Testament and New Testament which make it beyond clear that God formed a spirit in man (Zechariah 12:1) that the spirit of man is the lamp of Jehovah, searching the innermost parts of the inner being (Proverbs 20:27) and that we are born of God, worship God, and serve God in and with our spirit. (John 3:6; 4:24; Romans 1:9)

Once again, philosophy, opinion, tradition, and denominational dogma make the word of God of no effect. God's salvation involves our tripartite being. We are regenerated in our spirit (John 3:6) , are being transformed in our soul (2 Corinthians 3:18) , and will be transfigured, glorified in our mortal body (Romans 8:30)

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all with unveiled face, beholding and reflecting like a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord Spirit.

Philippians 3:21 Who will transfigure the body of our humiliation to be conformed to the body of His glory, according to His operation by which He is able even to subject all things to Himself.

PAULFROMNYS

Nov-29

So how do you see the teaching of TAS in regard to these things.  I agree with what you sharing as I can currently understand it.  I'd offer the opinion that animals do have spirits as open channels to GOD, but GOD deals with them and unregenerate men as creations in His Spirit.  Men are corrupted in this reality as GOD did not create nor relate to them as beasts, but rather children unto sons.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Nov-29

PAULFROMNYS said:

So how do you see the teaching of TAS in regard to these things. 

His teaching is very good. I believe he has the same source as Watchman Nee. Watchman Nee cites as his source on this topic as Jessie Penn- Lewis, who T.A. Sparks worked under in his early years. You can buy her books on Amazon. 

T.A. Sparks separated with Lewis over a doctrinal dispute and began his own ministry more or less in competition with her. This was his beginning, according to history.

The matter of the tripartite man is a basic element of the teaching I have been under for 30 years or so. We have gospel tracts that state that man is a vessel, with a spirit to receive God. 

PAULFROMNYS

Nov-29

Do you know specifically what the disagreement with JPL was?

Fred (fnorthrup)

Nov-29

I am not sure. Something to do with the Lord's Table I understand. For a person who reads slow, you post a lot of stuff to read.relaxed