PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The inner man of the heart #3   T. Austin Sparks

Started Nov-28 by PAULFROMNYS; 234 views.
In reply toRe: msg 5
PAULFROMNYS

Nov-28

This man is the product of the travail and energising of the Spirit, and everything in the relationship afterward is new. A "new robe," the robe of Divine righteousness. "New Shoes," a walk and a way in the Spirit. Rom. 8:2,4. A ring, the symbol of authority, the jurisdiction of sons John 1:12,13. The fatted calf; food such as never was before, the best of the Father's house. Each of these points has in the scriptures a whole system of teaching. The spirit of man being then the place of the new birth and the seat of this only true sonship (Galatians 4:5-6), it also therefore being, "The new, man" - for it is "in the newness of the Spirit" that we are to live (Romans 7:6 etc.) - here it is that all the operations of God in our education, fellowship, and co-operation have their base.

In reply toRe: msg 6
PAULFROMNYS

Nov-28

The only knowledge of God which is of spiritual value for ourselves or for others is that which we have by revelation of the Holy Spirit within our own spirit. God never explains Himself in the first instance to man's reason. Man can never know God in the first instance by his reason. Christianity is a revelation or it is nothing, and it has to come by revelation to every new child of God, or their faith rests upon a foundation which will not stand in the day of the ordeal.

"The Christian Faith" embraced as a philosophy or a system of truth, or as a system of moral or ethical doctrine may carry the stimulus of a great ideal, but it will not result in the regeneration of the life, and the new birth of the spirit. There are multitudes of such "Christians" (?) in the world today, but their spiritual effectiveness is nil.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Nov-29

TA Sparks said:

The only knowledge of God which is of spiritual value for ourselves or for others is that which we have by revelation of the Holy Spirit within our own spirit.

Why should a person come online on a Bible forum and contend for the truth that God formed a spirit in man? Is it to promote a teaching? To form a doctrine? No! It is because the fact is that God formed a spirit in man so that man can contact and know Him. Man can be born of God, be filled with God, and God can be with us, His Person, His presence, in and experiential and real way.

But our spirit is a "spiritual thing" and must be substantiated by faith, otherwise it is as if we have no spirit. It like having a radio that you never turn on. It is like having a cell phone with a dead battery. Therefore we are burdened to speak the word of God to people, "There is a spirit in man." We must receive this word by faith and substantiate our spirit!

Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man, / And the breath of the Almighty gives them understanding.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substantiation of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

PAULFROMNYS

Nov-29

Radio you never turn on, I like that.  A spirit separated from GOD is like all devises with no batteries or source of power.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Nov-29

PAULFROMNYS said:

A spirit separated from GOD is like all devises with no batteries or source of power.

Right. God is Spirit. He is like radio waves. He is everywhere and always available. We substantiate physical things with our 5 senses. We substantiate psychological things with our soul (the Greek word is psuche). And we substantiate God, who is Spirit, with our spirit. This is what makes Him real and experiential to us. 

Romans 8:16 The Spirit Himself witnesses with our spirit that we are children of God.

2 Timothy 4:22 The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.

PAULFROMNYS

Nov-30

Amen, I had a long drawn out with a brother as to what GOD told Adam was, in the full sense true, as he did not die(((in the day))) upon eating of the forbidden tree.  I tried to show him that he did, but it was one of those impossible discussions.  I'm going to start a new thread behind talking about Adam and address it to you, as there is no one else around here  :(    ??  

Fred (fnorthrup)

Nov-30

I am more than happy to fellowship with you brother, and you never know who might stumble by. People are full of all kinds of opinions as to what happened in the garden. God said that in the day that Adam ate the tree of knowledge he would surely die. The only question we should have is, "in what manner did he die." Ephesians 2 says that we were dead in trespasses and sins. We should never say, "Well I guess that is a lie, here I am quite alive." 

Even medically one can be "brain dead" but the body still lives. I think the brain means the soul. So medically there is death of the soul, as well as death of the body. The Scriptures add another component, the spirit. I think it is as simple as death is absence of life. Adam was a living soul, but did not have the divine life in his spirit. When he took in knowledge, the source of which is the Serpent, he was cut off from life, dead, in his spirit until Christ could come. That is my current understanding, to borrow a phrase from you.

PAULFROMNYS

Nov-30

Yes, he was deceived into living as the lord of the life given him by GOD.  That brought us to Is 53:6  All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Nov-30

PAULFROMNYS said:

Yes, he was deceived into living as the lord of the life given him by GOD. 

I think you know this but there are three distinct Greek words which are all translated "life" in English. Zoe, which is always used to denote the life of God, psuche, denoting the natural human life of the soul, and bios, meaning our living, our manner of life. Here is a verse with each of these words.

John 1:4 In Him was life (zoe)

Matthew 16:25 For whosoever will save his life (psuche) shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life (psuche) for my sake shall find it.

John 10:10-11 The thief does not come except to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life (zoe) and may have it abundantly. I am the good Shepherd; the good Shepherd lays down His life (psuche) for the sheep.

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life (bios), is not of the Father, but is of the world.

This is very helpful when discussing life and also relevant to the three parts of man. Romans 8 says that our spirit is zoe, the mind set on the spirit is zoe, and God even gives zoe to our mortal body. 

Romans 8:10 But if Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, the spirit is life because of righteousness.

Romans 8:6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the spirit is life and peace.

Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of the One who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who indwells you.

Zoe is the eternal life, the divine life, the life that comes from God and is God Himself.

PAULFROMNYS

Nov-30

Finally, when the dust settles, only Zoe is life.  Every other reality will necessarily perish.  Jesus did what He did for us that we'd find our names in the book of life.  everything else went into the lake of fire = second death.