The Commport

Hosted by [PC][Ch]amsalot (CHAMSALOT)|forums.delphiforums.com/maxcommport/start

Free support to first-time computer users as well as the experts!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Northwood Vcore mod!   Building/Modding/ Overclocking

Started by PHALANX28; 480 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
Hyperfish

2/5/02

OK, info (for what it's worth) to ALL interested parties-

Did the mod early this A.M. Mine is different than the article, here's what I did:

1. Make SURE you pull your BIOS battery!

2. This mod is best done with the board pulled out of your case.

3. Yank the proc, HSF, etc.

4. Use a pocket knife or razor to slice a small "trench" between the 2 pinholes. I would advise temporarily wrapping a hunk of wire LIGHTLY around the 2 pins, then flip the proc & orientate it over the socket so you KNOW which holes you're going to do the surgery on.

Me, being the idiot I am, cut the wrong holes. TWICE!

5. Use a safety pin CAREFULLY to reopen the holes. Don't push down until you hit bottom, all you want to do is open the holes SLIGHTLY larger than stock.

6. Use a jeweler's or really small, extended needle nose pliers or forceps to hold, bend & cut the wire. It needs to be a horseshoe or "U" shape, and it WILL be EXTREMELY small.

7. The wire shouldn't much thicker than coarse human hair.

8. Use forceps or needlenose tweezers to drop it into the socket. You can use whatever it takes to press & seat it.

9. Use a HIGH POWER magnifying glass to ensure it's seated & won't touch ANY other pins.

10. Reseat your proc. Be CAREFUL, if it won't seat using normal pressure, you need to open the pinholes more or your wire is too long & not flush with the holes.

11. I would NOT recommend using the stock HSF after this mod. I changed out to the AVC Sunflower: http://www.overclockers.com/articles523/
Compared to the retail HSF, it's louder than hell & irritating as hell. It will be the price you pay for this mod.

12. Boot up, reset all your BIOS tweaks, check your temps & vCore in BIOS. Mine runs 1.68V after the mod. On first boot it defaulted to 1.85V, so you NEED to drop it IMMEDIATELY!

13. My temps are 31'C idle in BIOS. The Abit TH7 II at the same vCore was running 46'C in BIOS, using the same proc & HSF.

14. Unless you have an EXTREMELY sweet chip & monster cooling, this is NO guarantee to hit 133+FSB. What it DID do is eliminate the "cold boot" issue on my proc since it believes it's default vCore is now 1.70V.

15. vCore options go WAAAY up to 1.85V+. If you have the balls & cooling, go for it. I don't.

Benchies to follow, I ended up having to re-Ghost because my SCSI drives puked at 130+FSB.

Good luck to all who try this...

PHALANX28

2/5/02

"Compared to the retail HSF, it's louder than hell & irritating as hell. It will be the price you pay for this mod."

Why don't you try using the Intel stock fan? I know I read somewhere about someone doing it, I just can't remember where.

I know I've asked you this a few times before, but..

With the latest BIOS, does the P4T-E have a 1/4 PCI divider at 133MHz?

Phalanx28

Hyperfish

2/5/02

Phalanx-

I just don't feel the stock HSF has enough capacity at the new voltages when the proc is run hard at warm temps. It might, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

It's actually much quieter with my case cover back on. Still considerably noiser than stock, but livable...

I don't know if it will go 1/4 at 133. When I get more time & a spare proc I'll try it. I can't risk these drives & this rig has to pull it's share of daily work, more so because that f*cking dually has been puking...

Gotta figure a rock solid 25% OC, air cooled, first stepping at +10% vCore over stock ain't bad. The bonus is ALL my SCSI devices are hanging tough at these speeds, & the RAID array is REALLY, REALLY fast running so far out of spec.

:)

PHALANX28

2/5/02

"I just don't feel the stock HSF has enough capacity at the new voltages when the proc is run hard at warm temps. It might, but I would rather be safe than sorry."

Understood.

"I don't know if it will go 1/4 at 133. When I get more time & a spare proc I'll try it. I can't risk these drives & this rig has to pull it's share of daily work, more so because that f*cking dually has been puking..."

Fair enough. I'll check with AsusUK over at AsusBoards (it's been down for a little while, no?). Sorry about the dually, what's wrong with it, BTW?

"Gotta figure a rock solid 25% OC, air cooled, first stepping at +10% vCore over stock ain't bad."

That's not bad at all. Can't wait for the next stepping(s). :)

"The bonus is ALL my SCSI devices are hanging tough at these speeds, & the RAID array is REALLY, REALLY fast running so far out of spec."

Heh, lucky you.

Phalanx28

Hyperfish

2/5/02

Temps are running about where they did using the stock HSF before mod, so I think it was a wise move on the AVC.

Dunno what the hell is wrong, don't really care enough about it: http://forums.delphiforums.com/maxcommport/messages?msg=119828.20

ATTO & HD Tach both went up a hair, it's pulling almost 104MB/sec sustained in HD Tach & 103MB/sec writes/120+MB/sec reads in ATTO.

HD Tach: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/hyperfish1/vwp?.dir=/Hyperfish+P4+Northwood+Project/Hyperfish+P4+Northwood+Project&.dnm=HD-Tach-125FSB.gif&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

ATTO: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/hyperfish1/vwp?.dir=/Hyperfish+P4+Northwood+Project/Hyperfish+P4+Northwood+Project&.dnm=ATTO-125FSB.gif&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

I think the spikes in HD Tach are error correction & temp calibration. Seagate says they have some sort of temp calibration in the X15 36LP firmware the cycles every few seconds that will cause the spikes...

PHALANX28

2/5/02

"Temps are running about where they did using the stock HSF before mod, so I think it was a wise move on the AVC."

I have someone asking me to build a new PC for them, and chances are it won't be an nForce PC, as much as I like it. As much as I've pushed the Sunflower, I've noticed that the Swiftech MCX478 used 80mm fans and performs quite well. Plus, I can customize the fan choice for his needs/wants. I may spend (his) extra dough on this. We'll see.

As for your dually, what do you have planned for it? Strip it and sell it? Or just keep it as is?

"Seagate says they have some sort of temp calibration in the X15 36LP firmware the cycles every few seconds that will cause the spikes..."

Well, isn't that interesting?

Phalanx28

Hyperfish

2/5/02

Dunno on the Swiftech Phalanx, I haven't used one on a P4 application.
One BIG difference on the AVC or probably any copperbottom HS vs. the stock one is how quickly it returns to idle temps after the load is pulled off of it.

Yup, it will probably be outta here within a couple of weeks.