News & General Health Info -  Tap Water is Better for You than Bottled (173 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/25/00 9:37 AM 
To: All  (1 of 9) 
Source: Case Western School of Dentistry

Bottled water from around the country and around the world is available for sale in the US. But the best bargain may already be in your kitchen -- tap water has less bacteria and more fluoride than much of the 4 billion gallons of bottled water currently sold annually in the United States, according to researchers.

"The majority of bottled water basically has very little fluoride... and my concern is if children are drinking bottled water, they are more than likely not getting the required fluoride to protect against dental decay," said study lead author Dr. James Lalumandier of the School of Dentistry at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.

Lalumandier and his colleagues tested the bacterial count and fluoride levels of samples collected from four Cleveland water plants, which serve more than 1.5 million residents and use water purification processes similar to those used in the majority of water plants across the US.

The researchers compared their findings with similar tests performed on 57 samples of several types of bottled water sold in the Cleveland area -- including different brands of spring water, purified drinking water, and distilled water.

Comparing the results against a range of optimal and safe levels of fluoride and bacteria as established by the federal government's Safe Water Drinking Act, the researchers found that only 5% of bottled water had fluoride levels within the recommended range for drinking water while 100% of the tap water had optimal fluoride levels. Ohio is one of 10 states that legally require fluoridation of public water. Research has shown that dental decay among children and adults has been significantly reduced due to the presence of fluoride in the water they drink.

In addition, Lalumandier and his team found that while 39 of the 57 samples of bottled water had lower bacterial counts than the tap water samples, the 15 samples of bottled water that were not as pure as the tap water had anywhere from 10 times to 1000 times the bacterial levels of the Cleveland water plants.

Lalumandier emphasized that the study findings should not cause bottled water consumers to panic. "None of the water would make one sick," he said. "A normal healthy person drinking the bottled water with the most bacteria would not feel ill from it -- but that's not a reason to have it less than as pure as you can manufacture it."

Also, Lalumandier pointed out that "purity" is not a clinical term and although bottled water companies make claims of greater purity, the fact is that currently two different federal agencies test the two different water sources -- with different guidelines for what minimum and maximum fluoride and bacterial levels are allowable.

"The Food and Drug Administration tests the bottled water and the Environmental Protection Agency tests the tap water, so we have two different agencies testing the waters... (and) the testing is different. The tap water is tested more frequently so there's more scrutiny with tap water. That's probably the bottom line," said the researcher.

Lalumandier said that this bottom line means that tap water is not just a bargain when compared to bottled water -- it is actually better for your health, particularly dental health. "Tap water does have the fluoride protection to protect against cavities and also the quality is there as far as low bacterial counts."

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/25/00 11:20 AM 
To: All  (2 of 9) 
 1076.2 in reply to 1076.1 
And an opposing view, from HealthScout:

"...municipal water sometimes carries harmful contaminants and public water systems may not be very forthcoming in telling the public. Some people with impaired immune systems may not tolerate the small amounts of bacteria well...At issue are low levels of bacteria that pose no threat to healthy people, but could cause illness in infants, elderly, those infected with HIV, or cancer and transplant patients. Minute amounts of bacteria such as Cryptosporidium and Microsporidia may survive water purification and threaten vulnerable groups of people..."

Details:
http://www.healthscout.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Af?ap=55&id=93095

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host7/9/09 10:34 PM 
To: All  (3 of 9) 
 1076.3 in reply to 1076.2 
Quality of Bottled Water Questioned in Congress
(The New York Times, July 8, 2009)
"In 2008, Americans drank 8.6 billion gallons of bottled water, double the amount of a decade ago, with more than half saying they drink it because it is safer and healthier than tap water. But at a hearing Wednesday, members of Congress were briefed on two new studies that question whether bottled water is safer than water directly from the faucet. Afterward, the committee sent letters to 13 companies requesting more information about the source of their water and how it is tested. 'Neither the public nor federal regulators know nearly enough about where bottled water comes from and what safeguards are in place to ensure its safety,' said Representative Bart Stupak, Democrat of Michigan and chairman of the oversight committee of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, in a statement about the data the committee was seeking. 'The majority of consumers purchase bottled water because of perceived health and safety benefits, but they actually know very little about the quality of the water they are buying'…While the Environmental Protection Agency regulates tap water, the Food and Drug Administration regulates bottled water, which is considered a food."

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host3/13/17 1:51 AM 
To: All  (4 of 9) 
 1076.4 in reply to 1076.3 

Bottled water overtakes soda as America's No. 1 drink — why you should avoid both

MarketWatch - ‎Mar 10, 2017‎
Bottled-water consumption in the U.S. hit 39.3 gallons per capita last year, while carbonated soft drinks fell to 38.5 gallons. 

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host3/13/17 1:53 AM 
To: All  (5 of 9) 
 1076.5 in reply to 1076.4 

Why get it for free when you can pay?

American Thinker (blog) - ‎Mar 10, 2017‎
Ah, the free market. What can't it do? Everything – even convince people to buy a product although it is conveniently available free all over. The most amazing example of this is bottled water. 

From: dgj4206 (Anita541) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/19/17 10:04 AM 
To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 9) 
 1076.6 in reply to 1076.4 

I drink water right from my faucet. I stopped buying bottle water 10 years  ago. And I haven't drank soda since 1970. I drink water at least 40 ounces a day. Water is my favorite drink. I drink green tea and coffee. 

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host3/19/17 11:24 AM 
To: dgj4206 (Anita541) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 9) 
 1076.7 in reply to 1076.6 

Even where one's tap water or home pipes may raise issues as to safety, things like filters are a lot cheaper than bottles.  The only real advantage to bottled water, unless someone is in a truly problematic area (like Flint Michigan to give an extreme example) or an area where you do storm disaster prep (like coastal areas for hurricanes) is convenience (and even there one can make their own bottles).

From: dgj4206 (Anita541) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/19/17 7:21 PM 
To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 9) 
 1076.8 in reply to 1076.7 

I have been drinking the water at my house for 45 years and I'm still living. I have used bottle water before when I travel cause I have a hard time adjusting to other town's water. I would not drink drink the water in Flint Michigan either.

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/24/17 10:42 PM 
To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 9) 
 1076.9 in reply to 1076.2 

I don't know how or why but I have been selected to furnish tap water samples for testing in my smallish community, results are published at least once a year of tap samples from homes and businesses in the town, so far, so good, well separated from action levels.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.