Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

LvlSlgr

Nov-23

My son is a math teacher and let's face it ... most kids hate math. He teaches 8th graders. The kids he teaches most likely will not go to college and he wants to show them that they will use it even though they may not be aware of it. Maybe they'll get a job as a carpenter, or a cook in a restaurant or whatever, but they will use math in one way or another. He also does his best to try and make it fun.

misstracy22

Nov-24

That’s fantastic. That’s the way learning should be, fun. Your son could be teaching the next person to save the world. Or help build the next ark or feed five thousand. Marvellous. 
Thank you and your son. 

Hugs, Tracy earth_americas

LvlSlgr

Nov-24

Thank you for you kind comments. I'm very proud of my son because I know how much he cares. He knew from the time he was a freshman in high school that he wanted to be a teacher. We need more teachers like him.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Nov-24

Glad I could squish this one in today.  It's a goodie.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Nov-25

I remember this one being tough last year, too...

There are great resources out there, with kids like his I would use two websites that show the fun in math.
The first is James Tanton’s G’Day Math website, especially the Exploding Dots series. His videos go very fast, but your son can watch them and teach the concepts to his students.

gdaymath.com/courses/exploding-dots

The next I recommend is the Julia Robinson Math Festival’s activities page. I have spent months working with this group of mathematicians! These are fun, joyful games and puzzles that have an underlying math. His students will not even know they are learning math! Have him check out the webinars, too.

jrmf.org/activities

One last one is Gord Hamilton’s Math Pickle website. Lots to explore here:  

marhpickle.com

Hope he and his students have fun with these!

I hope you liked the site. Jonathan Wolfe is a scientist at one of our national labs, but fractals are his hobby. He educates kids all over the country, showing them the beauty of math. This has grown over the years. Now we have fractal hot air balloons and they have just come out with a line of shirts, masks, and blankets!

LvlSlgr

Nov-29

Thanks for the info! I'll pass this on to my son. It might be especially helpful now since they're doing virtual learning. Actually, the Louisville school system has been doing NTI (non-traditional instruction) since March. I've told my grandchildren unless things get better in the spring 2020-2021 may be the year they don't go into a classroom at all.

My school is distance learning and has been since March. This year, I feel like a first year teacher, having to do everything from scratch, so it’s doable. But having to pick and choose the most important lessons has really streamlined my curriculum and made me a better teacher. It’s definitely harder for everyone! I feel like I’m teaching 80 classes for one of my courses, instead of one course with 80 students. Spending more time grading individual papers to ensure learning as well. But I tell myself that it’s what needs to be done right now, and remind myself that nothing lasts forever. I tell my seniors the same, and also to push themselves hard to achieve their goal of graduating.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Nov-30

Nothing much going on for the last 2 days of November, but I noticed it was drum month, yet I don't remember anything about drums.

So here we are.