Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Friends of Nona   Messages from the Heart

Started 4/8/19 by Nona (Waldmeister); 7334 views.
Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

4/9/19

Oh No!!!!  Soooo sorry to hear this, Nona.cry

Sending  ALL MY LOVE, THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS AND HEALING ( ( ( VIBES ) ) ) 

XXOO ~ Dhyani

Nona (Waldmeister)

4/9/19

A friend packed my things for hospital yesterday but I forgot to ask for a pair of socks for this morning. As bending is rather difficult I intended to put them on in bed before getting up. So I asked my mom to get me a  fresh pair.

For 10 minutes she failed to open the door to the wardrobe, walking in and out of the bathroom instead. (That door is at right angles to the wardrobe, has been for over 40 years...) Got me a pair of her worn socks that were lying there. I was almost resigned to go without socks when thankfully meal on wheels arrived early. The nice lady brought me a pair.

After I got home from the doctor I found my mom had raided the sweet bag I keep at my bedside. Found an empty packet of white chocolate and cranberry cookies and candy strewn over my bed. I'm thinking of wrapping my socks around a candy bar. I am sure my mom will find them in no time from then on.

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

4/9/19

Of course she did!  Geeze Louise.  So, who cares for your Mom when you're away? 

You need a clone or two.  Or a trained monkey.

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

Nona (Waldmeister)

4/9/19

Well, she can wash and dress, go to the loo and eat and drink on her own. I order meal on wheels for her. A neighbour and long time friend gets the keys and comes to heat it up, she also makes a thermos with tea and buys some yoghurt and fruit when I am away.

We have a wonderful help who does the cleaning and washing (and occasionally brings a treat like homemade soup or cake - and she makes the most delicious tiramisu).

Once a week the mobile nursing service comes round to shower and wash her hair. When I am away they'll come twice daily for breakfast and dinner and her insulin injections. Changes can be arranged on short notice.

So I think, she'll be alright at home. She doesn't tend to do something dangerous (unless you count her craving for sweets which I will move to the cellar before I leave).

AEGram

4/9/19

Nona.....Several people who have been on chemotherapy had mentioned that food has a metallic taste and is no longer enjoyable. However, every one of those people have been able to enjoy the flavor of a Coconut Bread recipe that I have. Below please find that recipe for those who want/need:

Coconut Bread

4 eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup canola oil
2 teaspoon coconut extract
---Blend in very large bowl; set aside---

3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup Buttermilk****
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
****I use powdered Buttermilk (4 TBLSP) + 1 cup of water to make 1 cup Buttermilk

--- Combine these 7 ingredients and then add to wet mixture above; mix with a mixer.  Pour into 2 greased loaf pans; bake 1 hour in oven preheated to 325°. Remove from oven; loosen sides and turn out onto wax paper on top of foil. Baste with glaze below.

Glaze:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 Tablespoon butter
---In small saucepan, heat to boil. Let boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon coconut extract. Apply to tops of loaves with basting brush.

Let loaves cool slightly…..encase in waxed paper, then fold up top and sides of foil. Enjoy one; freeze the other for later.

(When I lay out the waxed paper on the foil, the foil runs one direction and the waxed paper the other. The foil should be sufficient size to seal on the top…then crimp the short sides to seal it)

ETA ----- edited to add the oven temperature.....sort of important. sigh! 

• Edited April 10, 2019 4:00 pm  by  AEGram
Nona (Waldmeister)

4/9/19

Thank you very much - but I am not having chemo. I am on hormone therapy, get an infusion monthly (no side effects) and two kind of pills - one is thinning my hair and weakening my nails but that is it. Next will be radio therapy and possibly surgery beforehand. I'll find out tomorrow.

I had chemo in 12/13 and my appetite changed somewhat but taste was alright. Didn't take the pills against nausea as they were totally disgusting but drank some freshly made ginger infusion instead - delicious and so much better.

AEGram

4/9/19

k --- recipe still there for anyone who needs it, though. 

Love the story about your mom and the cookies and candy.  I know she shouldn't have them but it was such a lovely funny story.  It's amazing how our parents can turn into naughty children seeking things they know they shouldn't have.  Made me smile though.

Good for you that you have a terrific system in place for taking care of your mom.  I think that's terrific.

My sister did have the metallic taste from chemo, always said it tasted like she was eating pennies.  It was so hard finding something she could or would eat.  I have no medical reason, but I want to try that coconut bread.  Would love a piece right now with a cup of coffee.  Yummmmmm.

Oodie (Oodeveer)

4/10/19

Nona......You’re in my thoughts today.  I hope all goes well with your appointment.

Nona (Waldmeister)

4/10/19

Back from the doctor. Two more neurosurgeons meditated over my scans and came to the conclusion that surgery wasn't necessary right now and radiotherapy should be sufficient unless I were to experience some neurological deficits. Apart from that they'd be more comfortable with any surgery at my back once I had my sternum strengthened beforehand - "moth-eaten" was the expression they used. Very medical.

First I get another MR - this time with contrast media. Seems there are quite a number of affected vertebrae. On the upside - those that had radiotherapy a year ago look sound and strong, so good reason to believe that the therapy will do the trick.

And walking was a lot easier on my way back, I hope that means that my lumbar vertebra is calming down.