Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New laptop   Technical Issues

Started Jun-17 by JANNAE2547; 1044 views.
JANNAE2547

Jun-17

Hi I just got a new HP laptop and I can't seem to fine the right version. I downloaded my Old Midnight castle  from BIGFISH a couple of years ago'

I just downloaded Midnight castle and it was short version. I don't want to start over .I am on level 70 and went by Jannae I want to apologize to  my neighbors for not gifting. My computer crashed a month ago and the IT guy was having trouble switching my wndows EXPEDIA to my new HP '

Please someone help i had withdrawal from not playing everyday

Thanks

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

Jun-17

You can easily move your old MC 'progress' to the new Laptop IF you made a backup of your entire PC, or had made a copy of your MC 'progress' Folder to an External Hard Drive, Flash Drive(s), the Cloud, etc.

If you don't have any sort of backup, it is still possible to access your stuff from your old Laptop (or any other Windows device, for that matter)  copy all your stuff and move it all to your new HP Laptop.

Before I get into the procedure . . . do you have a backup?

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

P.S.  EXPEDIA???  Do you mean the XP Operating System?

JANNAE2547

Jun-17

Sorry I meant windows XP. My computer was dead black screen and would not turn on.

I did not have a back up. I hope you are a miracle worker

Judy

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

Jun-17

OK, if you still have your old Laptop, you (or your IT Tech) can pop the case, remove the Hard Drive, place it in a Docking Bay (AKA Toaster, 'cuz it looks like a toaster) connected to your new HP Laptop.  If the Hard Drive wasn't wiped or fried, ALL your stuff should be visible, hence, retrievable and can be moved to your new HP Laptop.

I bought my Toaster from Walmart for $35 several years ago for this very purpose.  Best $$ I ever spent at Walmart.

Here's my instructions for finding/copying and backing up your MC Progress Files (you don't really HAVE to back up the MC Shell Files (they are the actual MC Program)

The MC Progress Files live in AppData\Roaming\Elephant Games\Midnight Castle.

If you haven't done so already go to Folder Options and check the boxes:

Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives

Show All Folders

(These Options may have slightly different words in XP and they may be found either in the General Tab or the View Tab, but they ARE there somewhere.)

You then will be able to find the AppData\Roaming Folder and it's contents.

Several ways to find AppData\Roaming\Elephant Games\Midnight Castle ~ if you have a Search Box in your Start Button Menu, search for appdata. 

Or, hit the Start Button, click the User Name of your Device, and the AppData Folder should appear in the lineup.  

Open AppData

Open Roaming

You will then see the Elephant Games folder.  This is what I copy/paste to  my Desktop, (The Midnight Castle folder lives in the Elephant Games Folder)

Rename the Elephant Games folder that is now on your Desktop adding the current date. I have 13 Castles going, so I Rename my Elephant Games Folder: 

Elephant Games Dhyani April 16,

and then copy/paste, or drag and drop that Renamed/Dated Elephant Games folder to the external media of your choice.  Flash Drive, SD Card, External Hard Drive, Cloud Storage, etc.

If you only have ONE Castle going, you really don't have to Rename the Elephant Games Folder.  Your choice.

So, you will end up with a copy of the Elephant Games folder (Renamed/Dated) on your Desktop for easy access, and another copy of that same Elephant Games folder (Renamed/Dated) backed up to an external source.

So when your game goes wonky, you can swap that good backup for the wonky one in AppData\Roaming.  Be sure to edit the name back to just Elephant Games, otherwise the MC Program itself will NOT recognize it.

Oh, and I didn't mean that you should move the wonky Elephant Games Folder to your external media, rather, put it in the Trash.

I usually backup all 13 games on Sundays, or before a Wndows Update, or an MC Content or Event Update.  It goes quickly once you get the hang of it. I keep TWO of the most recent backups on my Flash Drive, just in case one of those craps out, then I haven't lost much. If you choose to save a coupla backups, then you DO need to differentiate the two, so then you could just add the Date you did the backup

Hope this helps!

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

Nona (Waldmeister)

Jun-17

If you can access your old hard drive the easiest way to get to the MC progress folder is in my opinion the direct route:

Just use your windows start button, select RUN and type or copy

C:\users\user\AppData\Roaming\Elephant Games\Midnight Castle

(replace user with your windows user name)

If you're not able to access your old files you can still get your game back by contacting Big Fish customer support and providing them with your old and new IDs. They will restore all your progress to the new ID. The one thing that will be lost is your friends. You will have to reinvite them.

Good luck!

CC to JANNAE2547
Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

Jun-17

I'm confused ~ if you bought a new HP Laptop, surely it came with a much newer version of Windows than XP.

Why on Earth would you want to install XP (which is no longer supported by Microsoft) on your NEW HP Laptop???  Or did I misunderstand???

JANNAE2547

Jun-17

I am sorry for the confusion my old computer was not a laptop and was operating on Widows xp

My new hp is a laptop with windows 10. My IT guy took everything off my old computer but I don't know if my Big Fish version of MIDNIGHT CASTLE which I am on Level 70 or so was transferred. Where would I look. I am not up to mental gymnastics because I recently lost my husband I just want to get my game back so I can have some down time playing my favorite game.

Judy

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

Jun-17

Thanks for clearing that up!  Oh, and it doesn't matter if your original device was a Desktop or a Laptop.

Hmmm ~ I see no reason why your IT Guy wouldn't have transferred AppData Folder when he transferred the rest of your stuff.  Maybe give him a call and ask if he did, or maybe he put that Folder elsewhere.  Doesn't hurt to ask.

Your MC 'progress' SHOULD have been in AppData\Roaming\Elephant Games\Midnight Castle.

AND the Midnight Castle 'Shell' of the game SHOULD have been in Program Files (x86)

Remember, If you still have that old Desktop PC, YOU CAN STILL RETRIEVE YOUR MC PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!!!

So . . . do you still have your old XP Machine???

If you don't have it or can't get it back, then you can contact the BFG Zendesk and ask them to 'merge' your games.  You must provide them:

The Game ID# and Name of your old Level 70 MC Castle

The Game ID# and Name of your new MC Castle.

Nona is correct ~ BF CS will merge your old Game onto the NEW Game ID#.  You SHOULD have everything restored, except your Friends.  

Here's the link:

https://bigfishgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

You will have to Re-Invite your Friends, or they will need to Re-Invite you ~ Might be a good idea to add the word NEW to your new Castle Name, so it is easily distinguished from your old one.  Or use a different Name altogether.  Up to you.

I'm not sure if you can Edit the Title of this Discussion to include your Level 70 Castle Name to give your Friends a heads up.  Give it a try.

I strongly recommend learning how to backup your Castle to a Flash Drive ~ they are CHEAP and it only takes a couple of minutes.  I do it frequently, because I DETEST waiting for BF CS to merge my (13) games &re-invite Friends.  

Fingers, legs and eyes crossed for you!!!

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

lilredhood51

Aug-1

when this backup file is created how does one use it to restore a game? I am getting a new laptop. it is not the same brand as the one I currently have. my current one is an hp and the new one is an acer. I don't know when the new one will get here I just ordered it yesterday. dh was tired of me complaining about how slow the one I have is/

Nona (Waldmeister)

Aug-1

1. You have to transfer the progress files to the device you want to play.  I would also transfer the MC game shell files because it has the current content update.
The MC progress files live in:

C:\users\user\AppData\Roaming\Elephant Games\Midnight Castle

(replace user with your windows user name)

The MC game shell files are in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Midnight Castle

2. Copy the MC shell folder and the MC progress folder to a flash drive.

3. Plug the flash drive into the destination device.  Drag the MC shell folder into Program Files (X86).  Then drag the MC progress folder into AppData\Roaming\Elephant Games.

4. If you already have the BF game manager installed it will recognise the transferred MC. If not you can launch it from Program Files (X86)\Midnight Castle and drag the MC Icon to your desktop.