Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

lost game   Technical Issues

Started Sep-19 by GinnyTLC; 446 views.
GinnyTLC

Sep-19

Hi to all.

WARNING   If you have a problem loading game STOP and back up your game. 

I lost my game last night. I went to gift before bed and It said some kind of error and couldn't load try later. I tried a few min later and it started me right at the start with nothing except I do have mail from my friends. I think that was from before the glitch because when I looked at the grandkids laptop ( no problem loading ) I was no long in friends list. My id # is the same, just nothing to go with it. I don't know if I should contact BF or EG. I did backup my game a couple of weeks ago, but don't know how to use.  Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. 

TinyFaerie
Staff

Sep-19

Our resident tech savvy person will be in shortly. Her name is Dhyani. She can walk you through the process.

I just gave her a call so she knows.

GinnyTLC

Sep-19

Thank you sooooooooo much 

I play as grams G.G.

Hold on friends, I'll get back to you all  as soon as  I can.

TinyFaerie
Staff

Sep-19

Oh your one of my friends. I should hold of gifting till you get it sorted.

• Edited September 19, 2019 7:47 pm  by  TinyFaerie
GinnyTLC

Sep-19

which friend are you? I do have a list wrote down with names and Id numbers.

TinyFaerie
Staff

Sep-19

Same as here. TinyFaerie

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

Sep-19

Howdy Ginny!

I assume you backed up the MC progress which lives in AppData\Roaming\Elephant Games\Midnight Castle, right?

If you made a copy of Midnight Castle that lives in Programs (x86), that is the Game 'Shell' and does not have your Castle's progress in it.  In that case, you'll have to contact either BF CS or Elephant Games so they can Restore your Game.

When I make a backup I copy the ENTIRE Elephant Games folder and add the date of the backup to that folder.  I keep weekly backups, so in case one is wonky, I still have a fairly recent backup.

Anyway, when Restoring your Game yourself,  FIRST remove the wonky Elephant Games Folder from AppData Roaming.  (I put it in the Trash and only delete it AFTER I have succefully launched my Game and it comes up fully intact.) 

COPY your good backup of the Elephant Games Folder from your Flash Drive, Desktop or wherever you put it,  then PASTE it into AppData\Roaming.  If you just drag and drop and something goes wonky when you launch your game, that progress will be overwritten.  So DO keep that good backup until you make another good backup.  Does that make sense?

Then you MUST remember to edit the good backup copy of the Elephant Games Folder which is now in AppData\Roaming to remove any Renaming you did.  The MC Shell will NOT recognize it if it says anything other than Elephant Games. I edit the Elephant Games Folder AFTER I paste the good backup into AppData\Roaming.

Hope that Helps!

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

Just sent you a PM with more info.

GinnyTLC

Sep-19

I think I can do this. I copied the hole EG folder at least once and the MC folder over wright, so I have to folders to work with on flash drive. I just need to study the renaming thing. This is very helpful, If I can do it, right. LOL. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. LOL

Thank you. I'll let you all know how I do.  maybe not tonight. I have to work tomorrow morning.

I LOVE you guys here.  Grams G.G.

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

Sep-19

GinnyTLC said:

MC folder over wright

Um, which folder is that???  Do you mean you made a backup of the wonky progress?  If you saved it in the same place as your GOOD backup, and didn't rename either of them, then there's a good chance the wonky one did overwrite your GOOD backup.  If that happened, you'll likely need to contact BF CS or Elephant Games.

This is why I STRONGLY recommend Renaming the Elephant Games Folder with the Date of the backup like:

Elephant Games Dhyani Sept 19

To Rename a Folder, Right Click on the Folder, a popup menu will appear and Rename is near the bottom of the list.  The name of the Folder will be selected by this action.  Simply put your cursor in the text box AFTER Elepant Games and type your addition, then click anywere else on an open space.  BOOM! You have now successfully Renamed your backup.  Easy Peasy!

Then you can save backups frequently and they won't be overwritten.

Good Luck!

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

GinnyTLC

Sep-20

So I copied EG folder to flash drive and didn't rename it. The entire EG folder was from July. After that I just copied the MC folder from within the EG folder to the flash drive. It asked about replacement or over right. I replace without renaming because it gets dated and it's not on the computer.

I did not copy anything for at least 3 weeks ( fore got to ). last night tried to reboot from flash drive after trashing EG file. Didn't work. oops, did the drag and drop. DA, I was tired, went to bed. Today after work tried again by way of copy and past hole EG file/folder after trashing what was there. Didn't work. Going to contact EG.

Thanks for the help. I WILL SEE ya all in the halls, one way other another.

Grams G.G.