Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

WIN 10 Cumulative Update KB4524147 Breaks Start Menu   Technical Issues

Started Oct-5 by Dhyani (Dhyaniland); 447 views.

I ALWAYS research whatever Updates M$ sends, so I can determine if I trust it or not.  

So, this morning I see the KB4524147, read up on it and decided to Pause Updates for 7 days.

Apparently the fix is to Uninstall the Update, BUT first remove something to do with Internet Explorer, so, OK, I backed up my 5 Castles on one of my Laptops, bit the bullet and did the Update and Restart (but forgot to unPause Updates)

It took maybe 7 minutes for this Update, it looked like it finished.  I had no problem with the Start Menu breaking that I could tell, but I also don't see KB4524147 in my Update History but it didn't tell me the Update Failed. 

I'll wait the 7 days and see if M$ pulls or patches this Cumulative Update.

Try it at your own risk or Pause Updates.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-kb4524147-cumulative-update-breaks-the-start-menu/

Hope this helps!

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

Oct-7

Ah those wacky Microsoft updates! Never know what you're gonna get. 

This is one of those times I am glad I live in NZ. We don't seem to get the updates until a month or more after everyone else, and by then all the bugs have been picked up and fixed. Poor you has to be the guinea pig.

ARIZONA (ARIZONA9)

Oct-7

I downloaded these updates and all is well even with my game . I was having a little trouble with the start menu not wanting to open and now it is fine .

Good to hear your fussy Start Menu resolved itself!

I went ahead and allowed KB4524147 on Dad's Desktop PC and didn't see Start Menu issue.

So, I just UnPaused Updates on one of my little Laptops.  KB4524147 is NOT offered again today, but did get a different Cumulative Update with no problems. 

After backing up my other Laptop (that has Dhyani through Wormy games on it) I'll go ahead and UnPause Updates on that device, get whatever Updates it offers and Pause again.

I just read an article that M$ is still planning on mass releasing Win 10 1909 TOMORROW, Oct. 8th.  So, it is a good time to back everything up (again) anyway.  Still, I'm going to Pause Updates again and wait the 7 days to see if there are reports of trouble with that Feature Update.  

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

ARIZONA (ARIZONA9)

Oct-7

Thank You , I just hope it keeps working .smile