Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Potlatch game is dead   Technical Issues

Started Oct-7 by Howdah (smitcheltree); 375 views.

I am pretty sure that the computer is really dead this time. I had problems with that lap top going back about two years with it overheating, and when I had the game transferred to my new computer they left the loot in the old game as well as sending it to my new computer. I thought the computer would die in a few months and proceeded to try to get rid of as much of my wealth as possible. Well, I have been able to baby it along, and be able to usually log in once a day before time change so I could gift twice. In this time I would give people anything they asked for, and for a time I would buy the things I didn't have. I had over 3,000,000 coins, which I got down to around 300,000, which I kept to use to craft items between gifting. I was crafting the larger items worth around 2,000 coins and 20+ shards, so they could help everyone. I have been enjoying collecting items to craft items, mostly by doing puzzles. 

Well, increasingly the computer is giving me problems. It was taking longer and longer to start up. Then it would freeze when I tried to load the game and I would have to try several times, and some days it would not load at all. Well, yesterday when I turned on the computer, there is what looks like a piece of paper covering about 2/3 of the screen and a purple thing on the white part. I have tried to start the computer in Safe Mode so I could do a restore, but this white thing covers the active screen, so I can't do anything. I tried popping the battery, which sometimes solves problems, but that did not work. 

So the game is dead unless someone can suggest something else to salvage the computer. I am not going to put any money into this machine as it has too many I issues, so replacing the screen is not an option. 

Sounds like you know how/where to access your MC progress, right?  Let me know and I'll add the instructions later if need be.

When my Display went wonky, I purchased a Docking Bay/Toaster from WallMart for $35.

Popped the case, removed the Hard Drive.  Put the Hard Drive in the Toaster, connected it to another Laptop and turned it ON.  EVERYTHING on that Hard Drive was viewable.  So I copy/pasted my MC progress(s) to that destination Laptop.

I had 8 Castles on that Laptop (with the wonky Display) so I created 8 User Accounts (one for each Castle) on the new/destination Laptop.  Copy/pasted the progress to the appropriately named User Account.  AFTER that, I then Downloaded/Installed MC from BFG and BOOM,  all my Castles were up and running on the new Laptop.

Took about 1/2 hour for all 8 Castles.

One Castle should only take a few minutes.

Hope this helps!

XXOO ~ Dhyani boom

P.S.  Best $35 I ever spent at WallyWorld.  I've used it COUNTLESS times over the years not only for myself, but for friends/family/neighbors as well.

I didn't know you could have more than one game on a single computer. I have never taken a laptop apart, and I have heard that you can get a major shock if you don't know what to do, that there is a part inside that holds a charge even when the battery and power supply are removed. Is this true, or just an urban legand? I have taken desktops apart, replaced NICs and fans and batteries. I did replace a keyboard on a laptop, but that did not involve opening the case. I won't get to Wally's for two more weeks. I ride with a senior bus service where we visit Costco, Trader Joe's and Walmart on different weeks once each month. 

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

Oct-10

Well, I suppose there may be a residual electrical charge (for a while) after Powering OFF the device and unplugging it from the powersource.  I have NEVER been shocked.  Nor do I know anyone who has.  I've seen some iffy YouTube videos, but, I think it's really a non-issue. I think there's a greater chance you (me or anyone touching the innards of the device) would bring a static charge to the Laptop.

Just make sure the device is POWERED OFF AND UNPLUGGED FROM ANY POWER SOURCE, as well as unplug any USB connected things, remove the Battery if you want, stand or sit in a dust-free area (so probably not outside) on concrete or a wood or tile floor (NOT carpet), GROUND YOURSELF, and to discharge YOUR OWN static charge, frequently touch something metal like the metal cookie sheet or metal table your Laptop is sitting on and you should be fine.  

I suggest looking up the schematic (layout) pictures of the inside of your Make/Model in advance so you know what you're looking for and where it is.  Opening the case will probably take the longest.  Hopefully your device's Mfg. didn't use proprietary screws.  There's likely YouTube workarounds to be found even if there ARE screws that require an uncommon tool.  But, hopefully, small Flathead & Phillips Screwdrivers are all you need.   Oh, and have a small glass jar at hand to put your tiny little screws in.

Have non-static bag or box nearby so you have a place to put the RAM & Hard Drive(s) as you remove each piece.  This should take only a minute or two to remove the Ram & Hard Drive(s), if that.  

While you're in there, take a look at the connector for the Display.  Maybe a connector is damaged or needs to be re-seated.  Worth a try.

Let me know how it goes!

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

Oct-10

You might want to look online to see who has the best price, Wallyword, Amazon, Best Buy, etc..  Costco and Amazon have the best/longest Return Policies.  I don't recall ever seeing a Toaster/Docking Bay at Costco.

Before you DO buy a Toaster, why not see if you can pop the case on your Laptop first?  No reason to get the Toaster until you have access to the innards of your Laptop.

Good luck!

XXOO ~ Dhyani boom