Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10?   Technical Issues

Started Nov-13 by GrannyBee; 318 views.
GrannyBee

Nov-13

Hey, MC Friends,

I'm looking at upgrading my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 once the Fall Event is done (too scared of losing the game to do it before) and am wondering if any of y'all have done this and if it went smoothly for MC or if there are any special tricks or problems I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

Nov-14

Howdy GrannyBee!

Before you Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, I strongly recommend you search your computer Manufacturer's site to see if your device (Model Number)  has been tested for the current version of Win 10, which is version 1909.  

Many older computers have Motherboards/Chipsets that just can't handle Win 10. 

I would also strongly recommend backing up EVERYTHING you can't live without (documents, pictures, MC progress, and write down ALL your passwords . . . BEFORE you try installing Win 10, in case your computer gets corrupt beyond repair.

The good news is that there are a TON of (early) Black Friday Sales and Cyber Monday Sales . . . and will continue (while supplies last) through the Holidays.

M$ will drop all support for Win 7 on January 13, 2020.  So, you do have a couple of months to shop around.  

I'm shopping around now also, as Win 10 1909 has failed THREE times trying to Install on my two identical Lenovo Laptops which are 6ish years old and came with Win 10 Pro installed, but they may have come to the the end of their lifespan, meaning the Manufacturer (Lenovo) hasn't tested them for Win 10 1909, so there's a possibily they won't be able to handle the newest Update to 1909. They do have Win 10 1903, so there's a chance?? they could run 1909. But 1903 should be supported for at least a couple more years.  I'll have to check it's Lifecycle date.

Ahhhhhh, technology.

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

GrannyBee

Nov-14

Thanks, Dhyani. The only thing I use my laptop for is a few games that I can live without, occasional email/web browsing, and MC - which yeah, I *can* live without but would prefer not to. ;^) I've got my techie baby brother to help me with the update so hopefully all will go well but I'm definitely waiting till the FE is done.

Peace!

GrannyBee

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

Nov-15

You may want to have your techie baby brother read through this post (it gives Instructions WITH SCREENSHOTS) for backing up your MC progress on a Win 7 Device:

https://forums.delphiforums.com/midnightcastle/messages/2794/1

The method I use for Win 10 is pretty much the same, but Win 10 uses slightly different terminology.  

Jenifer will be making a Stickied Discussion for fixes to common issues.  She's collecting fixes we've discovered (through trial and error) and from Instructions given by BFG and Elephant Games.   

If you successfully Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 before she creates that Stickied Discussion, just PM me and I'll post the method I use to backup my MC games.

Once you get the hang of it, it only takes a few clicks.  Super EASY!!!  And WELLLL worth the effort.

Hope this helps, and fingers, legs and eyes crossed for your success!!!

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

GrannyBee

Nov-15

Thanks so much Dhyani - very helpful! This silly game has become a major source of enjoyment for me so I'll be sure to get the backup thang figured out so I don't lose it. :)