Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Another recipe   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/3/18 by PTG (anotherPTG); 21945 views.
Kattlyn Raven (cindykat325)
Staff

I pickled (Asparagus, green beans, peppers, carrot, cauliflower) X2, radishes, avocado, mushrooms, peaches and grapes.

The (x2) I used 2 different recipes. Overnight went over better than Quick Pickle.

Of the other items: Radishes, mushrooms and grapes went the best.

chilpep

9/4/18

Pickled asparagus is quite good.  I'm wondering about the pickled grapes.  Sounds interesting to say the least.

Staff

Grapes are good, and Asparagus pickle really well.

The original grape recipe is:

Savory Pickled Grapes

Summary: Sweet and sour pickled grapes are wonderful with sandwiches, cold meats, roasted chicken or turkey, lamb, sausages…anything!

Ingredients

• 3 pounds seedless red Flame grapes (I used green & red )
  • 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half (I used a 3-inch cinnamon stick in each jar)
  • 4 small sprigs fresh or dried thyme (I used a fresh thyme sprig in each jar)
  • 2 cups white wine vinegar
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 2 tablespoons finely minced shallots

Instructions

1. Prepare your jars by immersing them and the lids in boiling water for a couple of minutes. This will make them squeaky clean. Remove from water and allow to dry. 
  2. Choose grapes that are freshly picked, firm and crisp. Remove them from the stem and wash well. Pack them snugly into four prepared pint jars. It’s fine to compress the grapes to squeeze in a few more, but don’t crush them. Tuck half a cinnamon stick and a small sprig of thyme into each jar.
  3. Combine the vinegar, sugar and shallots in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Ladle the boiling syrup over the grapes to cover, seal the jars and store in the refrigerator. This will give you the best texture.
  4. Serve cold, drained of the syrup.
  5. For long-term shelf storage, leave a generous ½ inch head space when you ladle the boiling syrup over the grapes. Seal and process in a boiling-water bath for 10 minutes (usual canning procedure).
  6. Makes 4 pint jars

Mine made 6 pint jars and I don't like shallots do I used sweet onion and garlic cloves.

Staff

Avocado didn't go over as well - I need to work on the ingredient combo I think.

The original recipe says:

Pickled Avocados

Makes 1 quart jar or several smaller jars:

• 3 medium avocados
  • A dozen small red onions, peeled (optional)
  • 1 cup (240ml) white vinegar
  • 1 cup (240ml) water
  • Honey, to taste
  • Peppercorns, to taste
  • Chili peppers, to taste
  • 1 tablespoon sea salt, or kosher salt

Instructions

1. Cut the avocados in half, and remove the pits, then carefully peel away the skin. Cut the avocados flesh into chunks and arrange into a clean glass jar along with onion and red chili pepper.

2. Combine the white vinegar, water, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.

3. Pour the brine over the avocados and onion in the jar. Add few peppercorns and gently screw the lid onto the jar.

4. Let the jar sit until it has cooled down.  Put into the refrigerator overnight before eating to give the flavors time to mix. Keep tightly sealed in the refrigerator, for up to two weeks.

Nona (Waldmeister)

9/4/18

Sounds interesting - I am a bit suspicious about the cinnamon-garlic-combo. I like both spices but am not sure they work together. And how dominant is the cinnamon in your recipe? A hint would be nice but a full xmassy dose would spoil it for me.

I guess I try that one.

Have you tried pickling zucchini?

Cinnamon & garlic are common together in Indian food, especially curries. But it's in combination with many other spices - not just cinnamon & garlic. 

Actually, it's the cinnamon/thyme combination I question. 

I imagine the avos would have to be extremely firm - perhaps underripe? Or they'd "melt" into the pickling brine. 

Also, it doesn't say at what point the honey is added. It's generally not considered good to heat or cook honey - it damages it's natural preservative properties. And I would question the need to sweeten avos & red onions anyway.  But this is a totally uninformed opinion, having never tried anything remotely like pickled avos! 

To me, avos will always be all about guacamole.  

In reply toRe: msg 192
Katijay (Katijay46)

9/5/18

I  have not pickled avocados. but have noticed  some stores like Smart & Finale sale fresh avocados frozen....I haven't tried them as of yet, but plan to.....really love avocados!!...