Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

tranfer game to new laptop -possible?   Technical Issues

Started Feb-21 by Thorne (STid509440); 701 views.
Thorne (STid509440)

Feb-21

title says it all. needing to replace laptop and want to keep my existing game (s). Anyone know how to do this

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

Feb-22

Not only possible but VERY EASY . . . once you get the hang of it:

Here's detailed Instructions for the method I use to make a Backup of the MC progress.  I have 13 Castles, and have made Backups HUNDREDS of times and Restored my 13 Castles without fail and without having to wait for BFCS and retained ALL my stuff AND ALL MY FRIENDS.  I have Transferred ALL my Castles to different Devices at least 8 times over the past couple of years without fail.

Down the page you will see the instructions for Transferring  your Castle to a new/different device.  I made the type bigger so it stands out.  But please read the whole thing first and PM me if you have any questions.  I'm always happy to help!

First your PC MC progress lives in:

AppData\Roaming\Elephant Games\Midnight Castle

1. Click your Start Button, Open your User (at the top of the Start Menu Popup)

AppData should be right there in the lineup. If you don't see it, type Folder Options in the Start Button Search box, go to Folder Options, in View, scroll through and check Show All Folders and scroll down further and (I think it's a button instead of a box to check) Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives (or words like that).  AppData will now be visible. Repeat Step 1.

2. Open AppData

3. Open Roaming

You will find the Elephant Games Folder.  This is where your MC Progress 'lives.'

4.  COPY the ENTIRE ELEPHANT GAMES folder, Then PASTE it to the Desktop.  I Rename it like:

Elephant Games Dhyani Nov 1

5. Then copy THAT Renamed/Dated Elephant Games folder to a Flash Drive, SD Card, External Hard Drive or Cloud Storage ~ whatever you have handy, for external storage in case your game and/or computer hoses up and you need to transfer your game to a new device.

If you want to make frequent backups, you MUST Rename the first backup you made, otherwise the new backup will try to overwrite the previous backup and I've had wonky results.  I backup maybe twice/week or more frequently when MC is having known issues requiring Developer tweaks/patches/updates LIKE WE'RE HAVING NOW!!! 

When Restoring your Game yourself, remove the wonky Elephant Games Folder from AppData Roaming.  (I put it in the Trash) 

COPY your good backup of the Elephant Games Folder (from the Flash Drive, etc.) and PASTE into AppData\Roaming.

You MUST remember to Rename the good backup copy of the Elephant Games Folder which is now in AppData\Roaming to remove any Renaming you did.  The MC Shell will NOT recognize it if it says anything other than Elephant Games. I edit the Elephant Games Folder AFTER I copy/paste it into AppData\Roaming.  

Launch from Game Manager or the Desktop Shortcut (if you have one) and your Castle should fire right up, with EVERYTHING intact ~ Restored to the MC progress at the moment you made the backup.

This Restoring method also works if you want to Transfer your MC progress to a different/new Device.  After you Copy the Elephant Games folder (from the Flash Drive) and Paste it into AppData\Roaming, Rename Elephant Games folder to remove any additions you made, and THEN Download MC from BFG

Launch from Game Manager and your Castle should fire right up, with EVERYTHING intact ~ Restored to the MC progress at the moment you made the backup.  

Hope this Helps!

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

Sent you a PM

Thank you for the detailed help to get another game going!  I only played one MC from the start so hopefully this new one will get me more items, etc. to help in the game.  I will let you know how it all works out in the end. 

I check in here often to catch up on news, views, etc. and am blown away by all the help out there.  

Pat hibiscus

Thorne (STid509440)

Feb-26

Thank you so much. I've been ill and just today transferred MC. It all worked (once I found it on my old laptop).

I applied the same instructions to another game and now only have a 3rd to find and transfer over.

You are a life-saver. I am a level 95 player with in the high 6 digits gold plus almost 1000 diamonds. Would have hated to start all over.

Dhyani (Dhyaniland)

Feb-26

YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

I strongly recommend making regular Backups of your Castle Progress.  You'll NEVER be sorry you did!  And add the Date to the Elephant Games folder name, so you can make frequet Backups without fear that the new instance trying to overwrite a previous Backup.

Make sense???

Again, WOOOOO HOOOO!!!!!thumbsupclaptada

XXOO ~ Dhyaniboom

shorts123

Mar-3

Hi,

I have seen all your advice on how to transfer a game to a new laptop for over a year and have never had the courage to do it as I am HOPELESS with modern technology and didn't want to lose my game. Today I took the plunge, its taken me three hours, with lots of hair pulling and lots of choice words with myself. I have finally got it transferred over. I would just like to say THANKYOU so much for taking the time to make this possible for me to do.

Image result for animated emojis gif thank you                                  

YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!   WOOHOO!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!wavethumbsuptada

laurelind

Mar-7

Dhyani is a platinum resource.  When we built my new windows 10 pc, I was stressing about screwing up transferring my game, but her calm help and hand-holding instructions made it a breeze.  Even though I too always back up my game - moving machines is always nerve-wracking!