Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Welcome! Thoughts? Questions? Wine?   Howling with the Hostess

Started 5/5/18 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 23977 views.

OMG, as I was reading, I began ticking off certain ones.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5,...oh well, you get the idea.  I even jotted a few down.  Love, love, love the "Peace is more precious than perfection" and "Happiness is a choice."  I feel better somehow, thank you.

NiaMCA (atheym)

Oct-15

Thanks for your response. I’ve also seen Dice for one die, and Tassel for 2 Tassels! Those are not quite as confusing!

English is most probably the devs second language, so I think they do a good job.  I watch the nightly news broadcasts and cringe at some of the phrasing that is used by people with English as their first language.  Most notable was one some time ago when the Queen's Tiara was on show for the first time since her coronation.  The news reader said "This has not been seen since the Queen was coronated"  Aaaaaaarrrgh.  She was crowned at the coronation ceremony.  No wonder our school children have problems expressing themselves.

Di (amina046)

Oct-16

Geopolitical Futures

... If It’s Open

Thoughts in and around geopolitics.

By: George Friedman

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
rossiking

Oct-19

Friends, I have thoughts and questions, but unfortunately I cannot afford to drink wine and relax. The thing is, I am having big problems writing my dissertation. I contacted the company https://writix.co.uk/write-my-dissertation-for-me, which is engaged in professional writing of scientific papers. What do you think about this? They promised to do it as efficiently and quickly as possible. I saw their portfolio, I liked everything very much. What advice could you give me in such a difficult situation?

• Edited October 22, 2020 9:52 am  by  rossiking
Di (amina046)

Oct-19

Di (amina046) said:

... If It’s Open Thoughts in and around geopolitics. By: George Friedman I returned from a trip to South Korea about three weeks ago.   Since then, I went to the bank once and to the supermarket on a mad lark.   I have reached the point we used to call cabin fever but which I now call the Corona Crouch.   The Corona Crouch is a defensive posture that decreases your risk of getting a disease but increases your chance of going mad, and not in a good way.   It does not lead to brilliant insights on the nature of the universe; it leads to a seething rage at a world out of control. My wife and I have discussed doing something daring.   It begins with leaving the house, getting in the car, driving someplace and doing something, preferably surrounded by people also doing something.   There is a town west of us called Fredericksburg, which I may have mentioned before.   It was settled in the 1840s by German liberals fleeing a failed rebellion.   Its residents spoke German until after World War II, and it is still filled with German restaurants and flags.   It was also the birthplace of Chester Nimitz, commander of U.S. naval forces in the Pacific during World War II.   Fredericksburg has a main street to walk up and down, stores and restaurants.   It also has the National Museum of the Pacific War, which is both appropriate and superb, a rare combination. We live in a region of Texas best described as lovely.   That by definition precludes interesting things to see, unless seeing a hill two hills over counts.   No matter how comfortable our house or how welcoming our land, life requires that there be more.   And thus the discussion of where to go.   My wife suggested the Pacific War museum, which we have seen many times but not since the Corona Crouch began.   Only after we started planning the trip did she qualify the visitation with “… if it’s open.”   She then suggested our favorite hotel in San Antonio adding, “… if it’s open.”   It hit me that the banner above the Corona Crouch should read “... if it’s open.”   Every thought of living differently for a day ended in what must be the motto of our time: “… if it’s open.” Jean-Paul Sartre wrote a book called “No Exit” about an endless conversation from which there was no exit.   I have been a part of such discussions, where I considered hurling myself from a window as a reasonable alternative.   There is also a French term known as “ennui,” a sense of listlessness and indifference to all things that arise out of the emptiness of life.   The French were well prepared for our time with a philosophy and a name for what we experience. My wife and I have lived in places where we had only each other to talk to but never in a place where there was no exit, and where the question is not whether we can leave but whether there is an exit.   Whether or not we might be prepared to take risks, the world is now designed to prevent us from doing so.   We are responsible not only for ourselves but for the rest of the world, and so the world has shut its doors.   What else can we do, save read Sartre again and hope we have become sufficiently sophisticated to be in the grips of ennui rather than ticked-off and bored. There is a dimension of freedom I never considered until now: the right to assume that things that should be open are open, and the right to enter them if I have money, and no other qualification.   That is gone.   I cannot assume that a place is open because it should be, nor that I am free to choose.   I am now assuming people to be infectious and must act as if I am, and the places I go may no longer welcome me or no longer exist.   In the past half-year or so, the landscape of my life has shifted so much that it is difficult to navigate.   The buildings are there, but what they mean has changed. COVID-19 is real.   Aside from the Crouch, the medical establishment has no solution for it yet.   It’s as if sergeants were training bots how to move and shoot.   It is all they have, and it’s what we must do.   But it should not be thought for a moment that we are being kept safe.   We are safe from the virus perhaps, but the Europeans, having been praised for their rigor, now have also discovered that doesn’t mean you have an exit.   I have a powerful and odd marriage that has endured far worse and this is no challenge, but I wonder how many other marriages will find that there is an exit, how many friendships will wither, how many hopes for the future collapse as businesses built with hope close their doors forever.   As we crouch from the disease, we must be aware of the price that is being paid.   The casual chat in the usual bar is gone, and with it boasts and flirts.   Of course we can all return to it … if it's open

Di (amina046)

Oct-19

It is message 93-95 “welcome! Thoughts? Questions? Wine?

mmpendo

Oct-19

Thx Di for Posting this narrative from George Friedman.

This has given me much food for thought. So I will go step by step.

George said:

I returned from a trip to South Korea about three weeks ago.   Since then, I went to the bank once and to the supermarket on a mad lark.   I have reached the point we used to call cabin fever but which I now call the Corona Crouch.   The Corona Crouch is a defensive posture that decreases your risk of getting a disease but increases your chance of going mad, and not in a good way.

I will assume this was written not so long ago. Your term Corona Crouch is bizarre. Yes we all have Corona Fatigue but we're not going 'mad'.

Next

George said:

It does not lead to brilliant insights on the nature of the universe; it leads to a seething rage at a world out of control.

Yes it can lead to 'insights'. In my place I have seen birds, animals, more nature than I have seen here before simply because there are fewer humans than before. This is a good thing.

George said:

There is also a French term known as “ennui,” a sense of listlessness and indifference to all things that arise out of the emptiness of life.

Please George, I don't have 'ennui'.

Why you think you are so entitled to travel against health warnings astounds me.  

We here have tens of thousands of folks invading our back woods - to party, hunt, go to restaurants from Ottawa, Montreal etc. That's how a virus spreads. 

More later

Di (amina046)

Oct-20

George Friedman is a Hungarian-born U.S. geopolitical forecaster, and strategist on international affairs. He is the founder and chairman of Geopolitical Futures, an online publication that analyzes and forecasts the course of global events. he travels as a lecturer and writer.

the brilliant insight on the nature of the universe has little or nothing to do with the birds and the bees, but rather our reasons for being and place in the universe, purely philosophical  thoughts. The crouch is a stance from which to bound eventually. So you must read him once in while to get to know him better. I will send you some soon.

P.S. ENNUI IS SIMILIAR TO THE GERMAN WELTSCHMERZ. It has nothing to do with boredom. Blaise Pascal, it is a pain, a suffering. Seneca  says:
« Pour échapper aux agitations et aux déceptions, Sérénus s'est jeté dans la retraite et la solitude. Il y retrouve l'inquié- tude et l'ennui » (taedium, fastidium..)

I agree with George.  I have always been a solitary person, used to spending time alone and ok with it.  But, after 7 months of hibernation, I've about had enough.  I long for the good ole days when I could go to McDonalds and just sit in a booth (or the new stools) with my mocha frappe and people watch.  I remember going to the grocery store and having little chats with the deli person, or a fellow customer or two.  Just commiserating or conversating while waiting in line.  Now all I see is a war-torn glazed look in the eyes of fellow shoppers, and know they're seeing the same look from me.

I want to be safe, and I want to keep everyone else safe.  But I do worry that we're trading one health emergency for another.  Practically being devoid of human contact is driving me crazy.  I know someone who works in a senior care facility.  They haven't had in person family contact since March.  These are the people, and those in the hospital, who need it the most.  Yes, there are window visitations and Skype or Zoom or whatever, but does any of that take the place of a hug from a loved one?  The stress is almost unendurable.

And, on top of everything else, the holidays are coming.  A notoriously difficult time for some struggling with depression.  This virus will undoubtedly inflate those numbers.

I just want an end to it; or at least, see that there is an end in sight.  I mean with the flu, someone gets it every year.  Different strains, many times different than the shot that's supposed to protect us.  So is this how covid19 will be?  Will we be zigging and zagging around this virus forever now?  Somehow, some way, some day, life just has to return to normal, even if it's a new normal.