Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Roll Call!   Welcome!

Started 3/23/20 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 137016 views.
CzoeMC

Jan-27

Thank you for sharing... siblings can be so heartening when they are older, and not trying to get one into trouble for their stuff. Lol, hope you can give him an actual hug soon.

misstracy22

Jan-27

Thank you, soggy hankies here by my side. 
Big hugs sent,

Tracy 

Di (amina046)

Jan-27

This is balm for the soul, thank you! heart_eyes

WelshShelley

Jan-27

Your most very welcome

So it looks like I did my last update towards the end of November when we had 4 residents test positive.  Unfortunately 1 of those residents passed away. Another went through hell, but made it through and the other 2 never showed any symptoms and were released from our covid unit a few days before Christmas. 

During the month of Dec, due to our case numbers in the county, we were doing testing twice a week. We haven't had any more positive cases among our residents/staff, however a couple of essential caregivers have tested positive. Starting in January we were able to go back down to once a week testing.

On Jan 4th we had our first round of vaccinations. I decided to wait but after seeing how the vaccine rollout was going I changed my mind and was able to get my first dose this afternoon (experiencing arm soreness but nothing else at this time).  I asked our Asst. Director of Nursing (ADON) what our vaccination percentage was. She said that only 4 of our 60 residents refused the vaccine and that between 50-60% of our staff got the vaccine. On the news (CNN) this morning they said that the CDC reported that the vaccination rate at Skilled Nursing Facilities and Nursing Homes between Dec and Jan was 78% among residents and only 37.5% among staff. So it looks like we did better than the average. 

Stay safe everyone and wear your mask, even after you get the vaccine!!

LvlSlgr

Feb-2

Tammy27 (DoubleMsMom) said:

CDC reported that the vaccination rate at Skilled Nursing Facilities and Nursing Homes between Dec and Jan was 78% among residents and only 37.5% among staff.

I've heard this also. I don't understand why the rate is so low among staff. Since you work in a LTC facility do you have any idea why this is happening? 

I wish I could. Like I said I was reluctant to get it at first even though I have seen the devastating effects a covid outbreak can do to a facility,  but now I'm happy that I decided to get it (especially with all the new variants that are being discovered). 

This is from the CDC report:

Low vaccination coverage among staff members working in LTCFs has been previously described for influenza vaccination; during the 2017–18 influenza season, vaccination coverage among LTCF staff members was lower than that among other health care workers (6), and survey data suggest that hesitancy among this population could be associated with skepticism about influenza vaccine effectiveness and perceived low risk for virus transmission to themselves or others (7). Although efforts are ongoing to promote confidence in COVID-19 vaccination among health care workers, challenges persist. According to a survey conducted in October 2020, 37% of nurses stated that they were not confident that a COVID-19 vaccine would be safe and effective, and only 34% agreed that they would voluntarily receive a COVID-19 vaccine.*** Frequently cited reasons for vaccine hesitancy included the perceived rapidity of vaccine development; inadequate information received about vaccine safety, side effects, and administration; and skepticism regarding the clinical trials and vaccine approval processes. Similarly, survey data from December 2020 indicated that nearly one third (29%) of respondents who worked in a health care delivery setting expressed COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy, and updated estimates from January 2021 indicated that hesitancy persisted, with 28% of health care workers indicating a desire to delay receipt of vaccine until they had more information about safety and effectiveness.††† Specifically among LTCF staff members, a November 2020 survey found that only 45% of respondents were willing to receive a COVID-19 vaccine immediately once available, and an additional 24% would consider it in the future; the most frequently identified reason for vaccine hesitancy was concern about side effects (8). High staff member turnover, staff members working in multiple facilities (9), and limited resources for staff member outreach and education (10) are also potential barriers to vaccination in LTCFs. Use of focused communication messages to increase COVID-19 vaccine confidence in health care personnel§§§ and specifically among LTCF staff members¶¶¶, including messages regarding the documented safety and efficacy of authorized COVID-19 vaccines, might help improve vaccination acceptance and coverage. Staff members serve as a trusted source of information for patients and residents; therefore particularly in LTCF settings where residents and staff members might be vaccinated simultaneously, increasing vaccine confidence among staff members might have additional benefits for promoting vaccination among residents. Because coverage varied among jurisdictions, lessons learned from jurisdictions or i
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.  But I am leery of getting the vaccination.  Of course, I want to remain well and I want everyone else to be well too.  But there's just this little lingering doubt.  There are some doctors who question not only the effectiveness of this vaccine, but possible potential serious side-effects.  Like I said, I'm no expert, but it seems to me these drugs were rolled out way before any reliable testing could be done.  I read somewhere the drugs were ready for distribution before the FDA approval.  And the FDA approval was way too fast to even investigate thoroughly.  I get the urgency, I really do.  But I sure don't want to read a year from now that people who got the vaccine are suddenly likely to develop this or that and if only they hadn't rushed the whole testing.

I don't know yet if my distrust of government and big business will interfere with my ability to make a clear decision or not.  I'm just so fearful that we are the lab rats in this scenario.