Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Wondering when to delete friends   Friends

Started Jun-3 by Howdah (smitcheltree); 1781 views.
Playbelle

Jun-19

No one seems to be responding to your comment on the gift eggs, so I'll chime in on that.  I'm annoyed with that too.  Especially when the same person has more than one egg on their list.  So greedy!  If they only have eggs and crafted items, I take that as a statement that they don't really need anything, so I rarely (if ever) gift those people.  

The exception is if it's a seasonal event and they are requesting an egg from an earlier year and have a low playing level.  For example, if someone is a Level 37 and wants a Seal Egg during the Christmas Event, if I have one, I'll definitely send them one.  A Level 98 who is asking for a Phoenix egg and a Squirrel egg  - no way.

Actually, I think it's rude to only have airship items on your wish list too.  For my own gift list, I always have at least one item that's from an HOS, a pet food, and whatever airship item I am lowest on.  For the last slot I ask for either a stamp or another basic HOS item.  If you want to receive gifts, you should keep it reasonable for the gifters.  If they want use one of their gift slots to ask for an over the top gift like an egg or crafted item, I don't mind as long as all 4 slots are used and the other 3 requests are reasonable.

Like everyone else, I don't like to delete friends, but if they are inactive most of the time, have a greedy gift list, and especially if they don't keep a seasonal HOS open for the whole event (like switching to a room without an active HOS after they get what they need - as rude as you can get in this game) then it's not so hard  to clear them out.  

Before I lost my stash last fall, I would gift eggs from time to time. I use a spreadsheet that has about 15 slots, so depending on how often I am able to gift and how many players are active, the spreadsheet takes a month more or less to complete. Before I lost my stash, I would gift an egg once a sheet to people who gift regularly and sometimes to someone I knew to be struggling for one reason or another. If they only have an egg on their list, I put a G for greedy instead of an S for sent on my spreadsheet and ignore it next time around. Since October, I have had to try to build up my stash, and very rarely gift eggs. There are some people who gift me twice as often as I gift them, and if one of those people asked for an egg and I had it, I would gift it. However, they usually only have pet food, stamps and airship items. Although I am at level 98, I lost my achievements and stash. BFG did give me back my coins, diamonds and pets, and a basic amount of stamps and pet food. Before losing the stash I had over 2,000,000 in eggs alone so I could afford to be generous. Maybe I am just being judgmental, but I feel that people who put a * or + in front of their names are being greedy, and I am less apt to give them larger gifts, and deleted the two who had the CU next CC with only eggs. If they were not going to play until the CC they should have, IMO, closed their wish list until then. Just saying. 

On the other hand, I have had fairly long periods of unplanned inactivity due to medical reasons and appreciated the friends who did not drop me during those times. I did not have access to my computer or to the internet so was not able to put up a message or close my wish list. My Potlatch game is still out there with a wish list, although the machine it was on is now scrap somewhere. At least the only things I had on wish list were stamps, and hopefully all my friends on that game realize that the game is gone and have either unfriended me or are just keeping game open to use the anniversary room, but if they do gift from time to time they are not out very much. 

Msg 3489.13 deleted
In reply toRe: msg 13

Some players put those marks so that they are at the beginning of your friends list.

bajon

Jun-19

Thanks. I guess if you had tons of friends it would help. Does not matter in my game.

I just feel like the * and + in front of a name are saying "Pick me pick me". When they only have an egg on their wish list, it validates this to me. The only time I have put an egg on the wish list is when I had two games and I wanted to transfer some of my wealth from the dying game to the current one. I would put in my message not to gift eggs, but some people would anyhow. My Potlatch game was a giving game and I messaged friends to ask for craft items or eggs and some of them did and some didn't. I had them to give and was trying to get rid of stash on that game before the computer died completely, which it finally did. 

Have done the same as you with my Trixie Belle game.  Her computer is so old that I just change the room for events for friends to play.  She has no inventory or coin, just hangs for events.  

When I was transferring inventory from that to my other games I would put up the egg I was transferring with do not gift so that others would not gift eggs.  My long term friends just gifted them anyway.   Most of us have been together from the very beginning.

In reply toRe: msg 17
AEGram

Jul-9

I may not touch on all the questions in the original post, but after reading some of the comments, I thought I would at least chime in.

1. Senior players who have eggs only on their wish list may have them there to give Consortium members a hint of which eggs they have available to gift to the Consortium. They probably don't expect someone to send them an egg.......and certainly not a lower level player.

2. I used to put various items on my wish list. Several months ago, I put up only airship items....I have several reasons.....

....... I have only Trina's quests remaining. I need nothing other than to conserve my airship items. I display the ones I need most. I will send an airship item back to another senior player who gifts me an airship item. ...............However.....I'm sending 15 gifts a day to get POSTCARDS....not get return gifts. So, I frankly don't care if someone gifts me in return.

3. I used to not like someone only having one item on their wish list. But, over time, I've changed my opinion. One item on the wish list means that person reeeeeelllllyyyy wants and needs that item. If it's something I can give up, I will gift that item. If it's something I can't or won't gift, I gift another player to equal my 15 postcards for my day.

4. Again, personal practice: I do not ever gift the "Castle 6" items. These are the Torch, Murderer's Eye, Shard of Soul, Forged Key, Rune Stone, and Winged Amulet........................Again, I'm only playing with Trina. She asks for 20 ZZs at a pop.....those items will each open one ZZ to fulfill 1/20th of her quest. I play puzzles to get them because the HOSs are not very forthcoming. I do not play the puzzles to then give them away and have difficulty fulfilling a Trina quest.

5. I do not share most of my opinions about gifting because I know my opinions are in the minority. I play my game based on my own opinions and personality. Others do the same. It is not my place to tell others HOW to play their game...although, I will at times offer suggestions for what has worked for me. Again, those are only suggestions based on what I found that worked or why a certain method didn't work for me. Others can then choose to either try the same thing or try some strategy of their own.

What makes this game so endearing and fun is there are so many ways to approach the game...........

***some play just for the character quests and to level up.....................that's okay

***some play to see the awesome artwork and poke all the cute interactives....leveling up is just a side benefit ....................that's okay

***some like to play the Castle Challenges; some don't; some can't .......................that's okay

***some like to play the Side Quests to alleviate boredom when they've reached max content ............................ that's okay

***some want to get ALL of the achievements; some could care less about any of them ........................ that's okay

***some like to get expensive items from others; some want the satisfaction of getting it on their own .............................. that's okay

***some just want it all.....all avatars, all pets, all achievements, maxed in the game ....................................and, that too is okay

Bottom line..............there is no right or wrong way to play this game.............There is no right or wrong way to add/delete friends ............. There is no right or wrong way to gift friends or not to gift friends ................... And where else do people get to make those kinds of choices and never be right or wrong???

Kattlyn Raven (cindykat325)
Staff

Too True!

I've been out of it for several months, Finally (I hope), getting back to normal. I appreciate all the friends that not only didn't delete me, but sent gifts! I never even thought about taking my list down. I was so distracted by medical issues. That is what I should have done though.

AEGram is correct though. There is no right or wrong way to play. Think of it as, Customizable :)

TLB2 (nvrsdiwsgd)

Jul-9

In reply to msg 17
AEGram

8:34 PM

I may not touch on all the questions in the original post, but after reading some of the comments, I thought I would at least chime in.

1. Senior players who have eggs only on their wish list may have them there to give Consortium members a hint of which eggs they have available to gift to the Consortium. They probably don't expect someone to send them an egg.......and certainly not a lower level player.

2. I used to put various items on my wish list. Several months ago, I put up only airship items....I have several reasons.....

....... I have only Trina's quests remaining. I need nothing other than to conserve my airship items. I display the ones I need most. I will send an airship item back to another senior player who gifts me an airship item. ...............However.....I'm sending 15 gifts a day to get POSTCARDS....not get return gifts. So, I frankly don't care if someone gifts me in return.

3. I used to not like someone only having one item on their wish list. But, over time, I've changed my opinion. One item on the wish list means that person reeeeeelllllyyyy wants and needs that item. If it's something I can give up, I will gift that item. If it's something I can't or won't gift, I gift another player to equal my 15 postcards for my day.

4. Again, personal practice: I do not ever gift the "Castle 6" items. These are the Torch, Murderer's Eye, Shard of Soul, Forged Key, Rune Stone, and Winged Amulet........................Again, I'm only playing with Trina. She asks for 20 ZZs at a pop.....those items will each open one ZZ to fulfill 1/20th of her quest. I play puzzles to get them because the HOSs are not very forthcoming. I do not play the puzzles to then give them away and have difficulty fulfilling a Trina quest.

5. I do not share most of my opinions about gifting because I know my opinions are in the minority. I play my game based on my own opinions and personality. Others do the same. It is not my place to tell others HOW to play their game...although, I will at times offer suggestions for what has worked for me. Again, those are only suggestions based on what I found that worked or why a certain method didn't work for me. Others can then choose to either try the same thing or try some strategy of their own.

What makes this game so endearing and fun is there are so many ways to approach the game...........

***some play just for the character quests and to level up.....................that's okay

***some play to see the awesome artwork and poke all the cute interactives....leveling up is just a side benefit ....................that's okay

***some like to play the Castle Challenges; some don't; some can't .......................that's okay

***some like to play the Side Quests to alleviate boredom when they've reached max content ............................ that's okay

***some want to get ALL of the achievements; some could care less about any of them ........................ that's okay

***some like to get expensive items from others; some want the satisfaction of getting it on their own .............................. that's okay

***some just want it all.....all avatars, all pets, all achievements, maxed in the game ....................................and, that too is okay

Bottom line..............there is no right or wrong way to play this game.............There is no right or wrong way to add/delete friends ............. There is no right or wrong way to gift friends or not to gift friends ................... And where else do people get to make those kinds of choices and never be right or wrong???

Totally agree!