Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 39397 views.
LvlSlgr

Jul-11

Wow! I haven't posted in here since March.  I'm posting now to bump this up in the folder because another forum member was looking for it.

I just checked and since I last posted I've read 13 books. Most of them were novels, generally mysteries. But I have read some good non-fiction books. Kind of scary was "Serial Killers: The Method and Madness of Monsters" ... very interesting but I was glad to finish it and move on to something lighter. That lighter books was Penny Marshall's autobiography "My Mother Was Nuts". The most recent non-fiction book I read was "First Mothers: The Women Who Shaped the Presidents" by Bonnie Angelo. It covers 11 modern presidents - Franklin Roosevelt through Bill Clinton. It has about a chapter (30-40 pages) on each. It also has a short chapter on George W. Bush but not as much because the book was published shortly after he was elected. I enjoyed this book which didn't surprise me because I like learning about our past Presidents. The same author has a book titled "First Families" and I may check that one out also.

I'm also trying to go back and reread books by Pat Conroy. Some of the books I read years ago but there are a few which I haven't. I decided to start at the beginning and read "The Boo: A Tribute to the Man Who Ruled the Citadel" which is the first book he ever wrote (1970) ... or as he said "attempted to write." He said this book taught him that he didn't know how to write.

That's it for me ... Anyone else read any interesting/good books lately?

AuntieRoo

Jul-11

I have had such a hunt to find books by Iris Johansen here in the UK.

I was looking online when I found this, thankfully at the price quoted I was not tempted.It is not even a new book!

PTG (anotherPTG)

Jul-11

And then you die

eg: £2.22 used (Amazon used)

LvlSlgr

Jul-11

You better believe the postage is "Free" at that price! And I bet you weren't tempted to click on "See more like this." Right?

AuntieRoo

Jul-11

To PTG....I really hope that is the title of a book! joyjoy

To LvlSlgr...Definitely not! I am very new to purchasing online & I got out quick before I accidentally pressed “BUY”, gulp.

Di (amina046)

Jul-11

My dear I will tempt you, go to thriftbooks.com

AuntieRoo

Jul-12

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

Here you go Ros - a Hardcover 1st edition in very good condition (& they really do mean it’s very good!) for $4.29 with free shipping (in the US - not sure how much to ship internationally  - sorry Ros). I love this company. I buy all my books from them.  If you use my referral link, you’ll get a 15% discount, too. 

http://discoverbooks.refr.cc/W5BJ762

I read “The Plot to Destroy Democracy” by Malcolm Nance. I highly recommend it. It’s thoroughly researched & documented & stunning in it’s global scope.

I also read “My Lovely Wife” by Samantha Downing. It’s about a seemingly-typical suburban couple who are serial killers. It’s dark & hard to put down.

”In the Woods” by Tana French is another murder mystery where you really wind up despising the protagonist. “Still Lives” by Maria Hummel was just ok, & “The Dreamers” by Karen Thompson Walker was more disturbing than anything.

And I’m still working my way through Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley books & Elly Griffith’s Ruth Galloway books.   I’m halfway through “A Traitor to Memory”. Ready to start “Ghost Fields”.

AuntieRoo

Jul-12

Thanks Tia, I did check out the website.Shipping is only free within the USA.

I have managed to purchase 6 books today here in the UK with free postage & 20% discount so I’m happy with that.