Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 49922 views.
In reply toRe: msg 392
LvlSlgr

Sep-18

I'm about halfway through the biography of Walter Cronkite. It's been interesting and I've reached 1968 in the book. It's been interesting. But then about 4 days ago I found another book I was looking for on sale. Normally, I would buy the book and wait awhile before reading it - because I have so many other books already. But not this time ...

The new book I started is The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. It's the true story of discovering the Ebola virus. So how did I get interested in this? Back in May I saw some ads for the National Geographic cable channel for a 6-part series called "The Hot Zone" with Julianna Margulies.  Being a fan of hers, I decided to watch it and recorded it. I had only watched one episode when I noticed it was based on a book of the same name. I liked that episode so well that I decided to put it all on hold and read the book first. So now I'm reading the book - which is EXCELLENT! For one thing, it's written more like a novel and doesn't get boring. And of course I can already tell the book is going to be so much better than the TV version. I'm about halfway through with this one and hope to finish in a few more days.

I highly recommend The Hot Zone by Richard Preston ... if you like that type of book. It's not boring at all.

WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

Sep-19

I second the recommendation for The Hot Zone. I read that many years ago and have never forgotten it. I was on holiday in Amsterdam at the time I was reading it, and didn't want to leave my hotel room because I just wanted to keep reading!

LvlSlgr

Sep-19

WeeSam (WeesamNZ) said:

I was on holiday in Amsterdam at the time I was reading it, and didn't want to leave my hotel room because I just wanted to keep reading!

Yes, the book is that good! I love the descriptions of what the virus is doing to the bodies of those infected ... human and/or monkey. Very scary!

In reply toRe: msg 394
WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

Sep-22

I'm about three quarters through The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

It's been more than a decade since I read anything that didn't fall into the SF/Fantasy/Horror genres, so this is a bit of a departure for me, but I am really enjoying it. Had to force myself to put it down at midnight last night to get some sleep or I would have been rubbish at work today!

Does anyone know if the movie of the book is worth watching?

LvlSlgr

Sep-22

WeeSam, I haven't seen the movie and don't recall any friends who said they had seen it. However, I read all three book in the Stieg Larsson Millenium trilogy and enjoyed them. Several years ago when a friend recommended "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" she warned me it was "very dark". Obviously she didn't have any idea the kind of books I read.

And if you enjoy those by Larsson and want more, then I recommend the books by David Lagercrantz who continued the series after the death of Larsson. I read the first two but haven't purchased the third one yet.

The Girl in the Spider's Web (2015)

The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye (2017)

The Girl Who Lived Twice (2019)

WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

Sep-24

I finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and have the next two ready to go on my E-reader, but for some inexplicable reason I started reading The Aeneid instead. No idea why. So now I'm reading epic poetry by an ancient Roman. Go figure!

LvlSlgr

Sep-24

Maybe your brain just wanted something different. Even if I have the next book in a series I will usually read something else - something different - before reading that next book. Have fun!

BTW ... I'm back on "Cronkite". I'm hoping to finish it this time. I still have about 400 pages to go. It's hard to say exactly because this e-book doesn't show the page numbers ... only the location number and percentage. According to the description in Amazon the book has 1459 pages. When I go to the Acknowledgments - at the end of the last chapter - it's at 63%. So that means the actual "reading" is about 919 pages. I'm now at 37% which means I've read about 520 pages. So about 400 pages left? Whatever ... I'm up to the year 1968 in the book. Lots of Interesting things coming up that made the news in the USA that year.

In reply toRe: msg 399
WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

Sep-24

Finished The Aeneid. Not the easiest thing to read, so I am going for something easy and fun for my next read - Eat Slay Love by Jesse Petersen, which is book 3 in their zombie-fighting husband and wife series. 

I really needed something lighter to read to get my mind off my troubles, & found a couple “cozy mysteries” that perfectly fit the bill……

Murder with Peacocks (should be called 3 weddings & a couple murders) by Donna Andrews, & Death by Dumpling by Vivien Chien.  Both are light-hearted & quite funny. They are both pure chick-lit & the 1st of a series. 

katiek2

Sep-26

Ooooh - those sound right up my alley.  Thanks