Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 56660 views.
In reply toRe: msg 409
LvlSlgr

Dec-2

Hey everyone! I know this time of year we usually don't read as much because we're so busy preparing for the holidays. But I wanted to tell you about an article I recently read (internet) that I thought was interesting. Or amusing???

I don't recall who wrote it but it was about a method to read more. Simply said, he recommended setting a goal of reading 20 pages each day - preferably first thing in the morning. Nothing wrong with that. I know when I'm reading a long biography or a non-fiction book that doesn't have a fast-moving pace I will set a goal of 20-30 pages each day to keep me going.

Here's the interesting part. This person stated at this rate - 20 pages per day - he is able to read 7 books in 10 weeks or 36 books in a year. Sounds great, right? Except one thing - at that rate just how big (how many pages) are those books? Let's do the math. 20 pages per day equals 7300 pages for a full year of 365 days. If you divide that by 36 books then those books average out to be 202.78 pages per book. Really??

I don't know about anyone else but most books I read are at least 400 pages and some are very much longer. A few authors I read (Dan Brown, Greg Iles, Pat Conroy, Larsen Stieg to name a few) write books which are usually 600-800 pages. I guess that's why I found his calculation amusing.

Speaking of which ... the current book I'm reading (non-fictionThe Informant by Kurt Eichenwald) is about 560 pages (after you subtract the extra notes, etc. at the end) and I need to get back to it. And yes, it's one of those where I'm having to push myself and have a goal to read 20-30 pages each day. Only about a hundred pages left so I need to get going.

Hope everyone has happy holiday and hopefully you'll get some good books to read in the coming year.

pclark200

Dec-3

I was lucky enough to work in the book business for most of my life, and books are my true love!

Right now I'm reading "Moneyland, the Inside Story of the Crooks and Kleptocrats Who Rule the World" very interesting and very timely! It's how the ultra rich hide their money and those dictators bankrupt their countries.

LvlSlgr

Dec-3

Sounds very interesting, pclark200.

One of the things I've enjoyed the most about being retired is that I have more time to read ... and to read something other than novels. When I was working I didn't want to read anything "heavy" so I only read novels. Granted they were in the mystery, suspense genre but they were still novels. Not books where I was trying to learn something. Now in addition to those novels, I read a lot of biographies and other non-fiction and I'm learning a lot of interesting things.

pclark200

Dec-3

I love good fiction and mysteries! But I occasionally go to a great book club that reads all kinds of interesting things. This book is one for that club, but it ties in so well with what is going on in our world right now. The first page references Ukraine (who's last dictator bankrupted the country) and the off shore accounts where the money is buried.

Di (amina046)

Dec-3

I splurged, reading  “A warning” by anonymous

KatieAn56

Dec-3

Wow! I never thought to figure out how many pages I read in a day, month or year.  Interesting information.  I am now reading Maggie Shayne's Colder than Ice.  It's the 2nd book in a 3 book series. So far, so good. I didn't think I would like the books after reading the info, but read the first one and decided it wasn't as gory as I thought it would be.  So I guess it's true, you can't judge a book by its cover.  relaxed

KNIMtheTOAD

Dec-5

I was born with a book in my hands. I can not breath without a stack of books next to me. Because of health issues, I mostly listen to audio books. Ten a week + 2 hard paper books. I have insomnia, watch very little TV, and Bobbie dose all the work. Also in middle of kitchen remodel/then bathroom. Then move rooms. My bedroom to down stairs Bobbie gets my room. Her room w ill be closet/storage sitting room. This sounds like a big house but  small little Hobbott house that we love. Christmas will be new kitchen towels rugs and

Just finished a book on the Lusitania, hit by German submarine beginning of WWI. Amazing research on the passengers thoughts from diary's , newspaper reports, and maritime and government's (German, US, Ireland, Scottish, French) investigations. It tells bout the clothing for men women, children and crew members. What they ate, how the ship was built, how officers managed during war time, plus lots of intrigue. Very well written, not dry or boring. How the passengers played all kinds games and activities prepared by crew , cards, read to each other etc.. Dead Wake Erik Larson.

Now listening to Dennis Lehane's      Live by night. Next his  Since We Fell

Barbara Kingsolver's  Prodigal Summer listened to it twice. Author narrated herself. Beautiful voice. Cats even liked her voice. Love all her books.

Have T, Jefferson Parkers new book The Last Good Guy. He writes about Orange County  California  police. I think I've read everyone of his books.

Also because we were talking about bible passage, my daughter brought home THE BIBLE  read by James Earl Jones (or as my daughter said, read by Darth Vader. Will listen to that on Sunday.

Dan Mooney's The Great Unexpected.

Robert Pobi's  City of windows. 

I will edit  this message with review when I read them. Other books and audio's still in bag. To lazy to get them.

TOAD/Otter/MOUSE

Manxcat419

Dec-5

My current reading is Brennen McKenzie's "Placebos for Pets?"  Apparently, even when I'm not meant to be studying, I find it difficult not to be reading something related to animal health (although it is an interesting book)!  In between times, I'll read pretty much any type of fiction, from the classics to current popular Young Adult fiction and pretty much everything in between. 

LvlSlgr

Jan-5

Toad, I've never tried the audio books. I just think my mind would wonder too much if I didn't have to concentrate on actually reading it. I'm really bad about that when watching TV ... my mind goes off in a different direction and the next thing I know I have no clue what's going on.

Just curious, did anyone get any new, interesting books for Christmas?

I finished the book "The Informant" (mentioned in an earlier post) and read 5 more books during December. They were all 400-500 pages and mystery/suspense novel. Three were by favorite authors and I can always read those much faster.

One book I read was "The Woman in the Window" by  A.J. Finn and it's being made into a movie. It was supposed to be released back in Oct. but they pushed it back until May of this year. What I read was, "Disney retooled the film due to the negative test audience response towards the third act." Well, that doesn't bode well. It most likely means they're changing the movie plot line to make people happy instead of following the plot in the book. Too bad because the book really had some good twists.

I remember another book I read a few years back - "The Circle" by Dave Eggers - where they made a movie. The movie had a completely different ending. Nothing like the book at all. I was very disappointed

KNIMtheTOAD

Jan-6

LvlSlgr, Actually I listen to Audio books while I play MC, especially when doing endless rounds of HO's. For some reason retain more when doing more than one thing. As they say at work if you want something done quickly give it to a busy person.

Used to ride exercise bike, knit, and read a book or watch TV at the same. Made so many afghans' could knit without looking. Barely ever missing a stich. Made a sweater one time that I pulled out so many times almost threw away. last missed 1 stich and left in, Have hade master knitters look and not see the mistake but I see it every time I put on.  Lucky its a boat collar raglan sleeves and I have no breasts so can ware backwards.   

KNIMtheTOAD