Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 59660 views.
LvlSlgr

Jan-5

Toad, I've never tried the audio books. I just think my mind would wonder too much if I didn't have to concentrate on actually reading it. I'm really bad about that when watching TV ... my mind goes off in a different direction and the next thing I know I have no clue what's going on.

Just curious, did anyone get any new, interesting books for Christmas?

I finished the book "The Informant" (mentioned in an earlier post) and read 5 more books during December. They were all 400-500 pages and mystery/suspense novel. Three were by favorite authors and I can always read those much faster.

One book I read was "The Woman in the Window" by  A.J. Finn and it's being made into a movie. It was supposed to be released back in Oct. but they pushed it back until May of this year. What I read was, "Disney retooled the film due to the negative test audience response towards the third act." Well, that doesn't bode well. It most likely means they're changing the movie plot line to make people happy instead of following the plot in the book. Too bad because the book really had some good twists.

I remember another book I read a few years back - "The Circle" by Dave Eggers - where they made a movie. The movie had a completely different ending. Nothing like the book at all. I was very disappointed

KNIMtheTOAD

Jan-6

LvlSlgr, Actually I listen to Audio books while I play MC, especially when doing endless rounds of HO's. For some reason retain more when doing more than one thing. As they say at work if you want something done quickly give it to a busy person.

Used to ride exercise bike, knit, and read a book or watch TV at the same. Made so many afghans' could knit without looking. Barely ever missing a stich. Made a sweater one time that I pulled out so many times almost threw away. last missed 1 stich and left in, Have hade master knitters look and not see the mistake but I see it every time I put on.  Lucky its a boat collar raglan sleeves and I have no breasts so can ware backwards.   

KNIMtheTOAD

Wendulka

Jan-11

I really like fantasy and urban fantasy. I read Karen Chance, Jeanine Frost, Patricia Briggs, Richelle Medows. For non fantasy books i love Bill Bryson, i think he is one of the best writers who ever lived, so interesting and funny at the same time

Kattlyn Raven (cindykat325)
Staff

LOL!!! I listen while I play the HOS chain too!!!

Jayne Ann Krentz (and her other pen names) currently, but Anne McCaffrey is my standby!

katiek2

Jan-13

I have every book Anne McCaffrey published.  Unfortunately felt those that were published "in her style" after she died  just didn't measure up IMHO, particularly the Pern series. 

Fantasy and contemporary fantasy, sci fi, Detective and political thrillers are the biggest part of my library.  

Kattlyn Raven (cindykat325)
Staff

I've heard that about the newer books. Never bought one myself.

LvlSlgr

Feb-15

I know a lot of the MC players are taking a break from the game since the WE ended. Or maybe like me, you're still going in and gifting friends, maybe playing a few HOS, but that's about it. Just taking it easy. Which means I have more time to read.

I managed to read 5 books in January. All but one of these were fiction.

I'm going at a much slower pace this month and I've only finished one so far. I started the month with "A Torch Kept Lit: Great Lives of the Twentieth Century" by William F. Buckley Jr.  That got off to real slow start. It's basically 52 eulogies written by WFB (as they refer to him) of mostly well-known people. Some he knew personally; some he didn't. Each one starts out with a few pages explaining the nature and background of WFB's relationship to that person (written by the editor) and is followed by the eulogy. It's one of those books that is interesting because you're learning something new but definitely not a page-turner. After about a week of reading only about 20 pages each day, I was about one-third through it and decided to set it aside for a bit.

After that I definitely needed some fiction but not anything too intense. So I chose "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. I saw the movie about 4 years ago but hadn't read the book. That one took about 4 days to finish and even though it has a somewhat sad ending I really enjoyed it.

I'm now reading one of the free books I get each month for being a Prime member. This one is "Killer Collective" by Barry Eisler. Yesterday was my third day on this one and I'm about 40% done. So far I like it but I didn't realize it was part of a series when I selected it.

So what is everyone else reading? Anything better than what I've been reading???

KNIMtheTOAD

Feb-15

Listening to John Irving's "Last Night in Twisted Riving". I am 9 CD's in have eleven to go. That's right 20 CD's about 24 hours total. Great book as usual for Irvine. I have 3 Craig Johnson's Books all from the Longmire  TV series  now playing on Netflix. Read those during the day.

Albert is doing well. He just woke up and patted my arm.

Happy reading all. KNIMtheTOAD