Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 72302 views.
LvlSlgr

May-10

I've been reading "Becoming" by Michelle Obama. I only have about 60 pages left. It has been a most refreshing book to read. Yes, I said, "Refreshing" and that's the best word for it in my opinion ... especially after the past 3+ years.

The book is 462 pages (Kindle version) and divided into three sections. The first section is "Becoming Me" and she talks about her early years, her family, growing up in South Side Chicago. This also includes when she goes to college (Princeton and Harvard Law School), her early years as a lawyer in Chicago, and meeting Barack Obama. This is just a little over 100 pages. The second section is "Becoming Us" (about 173 pages) and takes you from when she first started dating Barack Obama through the 2008 Presidential campaign. The last section - "Becoming More" - talks about her life in the White House as the First Lady.

KNIMtheTOAD

May-13

I listened to Becoming on audio book. Michelle narrates and her voice is so beautiful and sensitive. It won many awards.  Made me miss them so much. 

KNIMtheTOAD

PCGRAM

May-13

Our Library has been closed since mid-MARCH so I raided the bookcase at my Mother's home.  These are books left there since my Dad died in 1981.  Right now I am reading Reader's Digest Condensed Books from 1969!  Just finished Helen Hayes autobiography!  

LvlSlgr

May-13

PCGRAM, back in the early 70's I used to buy those Reader's Digest Condensed Books. I would read them cover-to-cover no matter what books were included. They introduced me to authors and genres that I probably never would have tried otherwise. Actually, that's how I got hooked on mysteries ... reading Dick Francis' books in those.

• Edited May 13, 2020 11:59 am  by  LvlSlgr
PCGRAM

May-13

You are so correct!  My family were voracious readers.  We got 2 daily newspapers, and 3 on Sunday.  I volunteered at the library, my Dad donated many books to our local library when it was founded.  When I retired, I packed up over 200 books from my personal library and donated to our annual book sale.  So being in 'lockdown' is not easy!  Luckily I remembered his trove of books at my Mom's house.  My Mom is 92 and still is an active patron of the library!  

misstracy22

May-14

Hi, 

This is the first time I’ve ventured onto this thread. I’ve only looked at this page. 
I just wanted to say, my dad’s wife was a librarian all her life. She died five years ago. I’ve been helping my father sort things out. So her library is an on going project. I’ve given books away to family and friends, charities included. After going through them. I now have an even bigger stack of books in my room. That’s just the ones my dad didn’t want. I  read a few before she died. She would buy them for me, or loan them to me. I always left with a bag or two full of books. When I visited. 
At work I used to read before starting my shift. We had a book draw where people could swap books. Books are part of my family and part of me. I‘m going to have a closer look on here for more books to read. 
Take care all, 

Tracy snail

LvlSlgr

May-25

Welcome Tracy!

I'm a little bit later in welcoming you to our thread about books, but better late than never. The people in here read all kinds of books. I'm sure you'll find some good suggestions.

Myself, I like to read novels (mainly mysteries) and also historical non-fiction and biographies. I kind of go back and forth - read a novel and then read a biography. Right now I'm reading Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer. I thought I may have read it years ago when it first came out (1980) or maybe when the mini-series was on TV (1985) but now I think that's not so.

Happy reading!

WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

Jun-1

I love Ben Bova's Grand Tour books. Jupiter and Leviathans of Jupiter were my absolute favourite. Loved those space whales. There's a new book in the series due out in July, Uranus.

I am currently reading Network Effect, the 5th bookk in the Murderbot Series. I love Murderbot so much, so I am in my happy place right now.

~J (amsavs)

Jun-1

I've found that I'm actually reading less. Haha. I was adding the latest batch of books to my goodreads challenge. Somehow I read 7 books in May. It must have been early on because the last 10 or so ebooks, I didn't read. I had to add myself to the waitlists again. I'm still waiting for the library to add Victoria Laurie's latest. I may just end up buying it at this rate.

LvlSlgr

Jun-12

If I had to rely on the library, I'm sure I wouldn't be reading as much. I use Goodreads and Bookbub to find books I want that are marked down. I use both to track the books I'm reading, have read, or want. I started with Bookbub and then several months later someone told me about Goodreads. So why not just use one? I like Bookbub because I can add books to my "Wishlist" and will be notified by email when any of those are marked down. I also get emails for books by the authors I'm following. The thing I like about Goodreads is how each day you can enter how much of the book you've read ... or whenever you choose to do it. I do it daily and it tends to make me set a goal (in my mind) each day and then the next day I can see if I reached that goal. It also keeps me from dragging out a book that isn't as interesting as I expected because I still see it on the homepage and I want to just get it done. I also think Bookbub has better, more reasonably priced, suggestions for me.

I'm currently reading two books. I know lots of you read two or more all of the time. I used to do that - one fiction, one nonfiction - but haven't done it for the past year or so. Surprisingly both books I'm reading now are nonfiction.

The first one is "A Stranger To Myself: The Inhumanity of War, Russia 1941-1944" by Willy Peter Reese. Reese was a German soldier during World War II. "He was only 20 years old when he found himself marching through Russia with orders to take no prisoners. Three years later he was dead. Bearing witness to--and participating in--the atrocities of war, Reese recorded his reflections in his diary, leaving behind an intelligent, touching, and illuminating perspective on life on the eastern front. He documented the carnage perpetrated by both sides, the destruction which was exacerbated by the young soldiers’ hunger, frostbite, exhaustion, and their daily struggle to survive."

It's interesting to get this perspective of the war. And I have to admit I don't know how these German soldiers - any soldiers - marched through the Russian winters with very little supplies. There are times some of graphic details of what they endured make me a bit squeamish.

So I felt like I needed a break away from that book every so often. And what did I choose? Another nonfiction - "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" by John Berendt. This is the true story of a murder which took place in Savannah in 1981 and the subsequent trial.  I should say trials because it turned out there were 4 altogether. One he was found guilty but it was appealed and overturned, a second one (again a guilty verdict) was overturned on a technicality. The third trail resulted in a mistrial due to a hung jury and the defendant was acquitted in the fourth.  Even though I'm only about halfway through the book I know some of this was doing a little research in Wiki. But even though I know the outcome it's still very interesting because of the details. Also the author has written it so that it reads more like a novel which helps.