Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 75286 views.
LvlSlgr

Jun-12

If I had to rely on the library, I'm sure I wouldn't be reading as much. I use Goodreads and Bookbub to find books I want that are marked down. I use both to track the books I'm reading, have read, or want. I started with Bookbub and then several months later someone told me about Goodreads. So why not just use one? I like Bookbub because I can add books to my "Wishlist" and will be notified by email when any of those are marked down. I also get emails for books by the authors I'm following. The thing I like about Goodreads is how each day you can enter how much of the book you've read ... or whenever you choose to do it. I do it daily and it tends to make me set a goal (in my mind) each day and then the next day I can see if I reached that goal. It also keeps me from dragging out a book that isn't as interesting as I expected because I still see it on the homepage and I want to just get it done. I also think Bookbub has better, more reasonably priced, suggestions for me.

I'm currently reading two books. I know lots of you read two or more all of the time. I used to do that - one fiction, one nonfiction - but haven't done it for the past year or so. Surprisingly both books I'm reading now are nonfiction.

The first one is "A Stranger To Myself: The Inhumanity of War, Russia 1941-1944" by Willy Peter Reese. Reese was a German soldier during World War II. "He was only 20 years old when he found himself marching through Russia with orders to take no prisoners. Three years later he was dead. Bearing witness to--and participating in--the atrocities of war, Reese recorded his reflections in his diary, leaving behind an intelligent, touching, and illuminating perspective on life on the eastern front. He documented the carnage perpetrated by both sides, the destruction which was exacerbated by the young soldiers’ hunger, frostbite, exhaustion, and their daily struggle to survive."

It's interesting to get this perspective of the war. And I have to admit I don't know how these German soldiers - any soldiers - marched through the Russian winters with very little supplies. There are times some of graphic details of what they endured make me a bit squeamish.

So I felt like I needed a break away from that book every so often. And what did I choose? Another nonfiction - "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" by John Berendt. This is the true story of a murder which took place in Savannah in 1981 and the subsequent trial.  I should say trials because it turned out there were 4 altogether. One he was found guilty but it was appealed and overturned, a second one (again a guilty verdict) was overturned on a technicality. The third trail resulted in a mistrial due to a hung jury and the defendant was acquitted in the fourth.  Even though I'm only about halfway through the book I know some of this was doing a little research in Wiki. But even though I know the outcome it's still very interesting because of the details. Also the author has written it so that it reads more like a novel which helps.

~J (amsavs)

Jun-13

I rely on the library and kindle unlimited otherwise I'd be broke! I have more than one wishlist at Amazon. I also have one for books I want to buy but waiting for the price to drop. Lately it seems like they increase more often than not.

I usually burn through books too fast to read more than one at a time. I have on occasion when I can't quite get into a book. My currently reading on goodreads is for books I started but haven't gotten back to yet. Ha!

I'm envious you are able to read non-fiction. It's really difficult for me. I've actually put a hold on an audio book to see if that works better but it will be awhile.. I'm #123.

I get frustrated by recommendations for books (and music) because a lot of times it's other works by that person. It's like ok, thanks, I'm already aware of this person. Sometimes I wish I could find a similar writing style. Like the authors that write in such a way that the book felt like it was 5 minutes long. (And they're usually the ones that release a book a year.)

Also, I will apologize in advance in case i get repetitive. My memory sucks!

LvlSlgr

Jun-13

~J (amsavs) said:

I'm envious you are able to read non-fiction. It's really difficult for me.

Oh, I agree it can be difficult at times. There are times I literally have to put a book down and come back to it after I've read a couple of good novels. Sometimes a non-fiction book that sounds like something I'm interested in turns out to be boring. In my opinion, it just usually takes longer to read one than a good novel.

I only started really reading the non-fiction after I retired and have more time. I probably read at least two fictional novels to every one non-fiction book. I've always been an American history buff and so that's where I started. Mainly books about the Civil War or the Vietnam War.

I also like to read biographies. About 5 years ago I read "Cronkite's War: His World War II Letters Home." It was a book put together by Walter Cronkite's grandson with letters Cronkite had written to his wife while he was a war correspondent in Europe during WWII. Prior to each letter there were a few pages explaining what was going on in the war at the time the letter was written to help explain what the letter was about. I'm 68 years old and basically what I knew about WWII was what I learned in my high school history classes and the movies about WWII. I learned SO MUCH MORE from reading this one book. I was totally blown away and now I try to read more books about that war. That's how I came to choose the one I'm currently reading by Willy Peter Reese.

Speaking of biographies - I read "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris. Again this was about 5 years ago - that's about when I retired. Over 900 pages, but it wasn't bad at all. It took me from the time he was born with a lot of details until ... until he becomes President after President McKinley is assassinated. What?? That's where the book ended. I then discovered Edmund Morris had written two more books about Teddy Roosevelt - one that covers the years he was President and another that covers his life after leaving the office. So far I haven't read the next one because I'm still watching for it to be on sale. LOL

~J (amsavs)

Jun-13

I have a handful of non-fiction actually. Haven't read most of them. haha. Which reminds me of a meme that says something like reading and buying books are two different hobbies. So true. I even have books from some of my favorite authors that are sitting there on the shelf. One in particular is currently writing new books but has yet to release anything. So I don't want to be caught up I guess?

I bought one of Craig Ferguson's books. I also saw the library has the audiobook. I was thinking of maybe listening to it instead. haha.

I'd like to say I will look up more non-fiction during my next rut, but I doubt I will. Some things are just more engaging as a TV show, etc for me. Like I've gotten into more PBS shows... especially anything to do with ancient Egypt. I know there's been a couple of different series out there about tracing family trees. I love to watch those.

I remember back in middle school. One of my teachers decided to have us watch Glory. Well... my friend and I decided to read books instead. haha. I did end up watching it some time later. Now it's one of those movies I stop to watch whenever I catch it. Those types of subjects I usually prefer to watch vs read. But hey, maybe one day I'll read books about it, since it does interest me.

KNIMtheTOAD

Jun-13

I love PBS shows. anything Ken Burns does is great and several BBC mysteries . Love the war years and how English people survived them. (my husband and family were  English.) Call the Midwife's is great show you should watch from the start.

Sabastian Jounger is a journalist who wrote "the Perfect Storm" and movie .  also read Fire. He holds your attention  with griping details. Glad I looked him up he has several new ones. 

LvlSlgr: My husband and son were history buffs. Gary new everything about civil war. Son new WWI and WWII. When he was 10 watching a movie he said the tanks were't accurate  and bet money to 4 men. Ran in got his Encyclopedia (before the  internet) and showed the differences. they called  someone in movie industry and they said  the Germans destroyed  most tanks and they used US modified tanks.He won $100. 

I read just about anything I can get my hand on with few exceptions. I think will go into Fantasy again. 

Got to go Hands shaking spell check is acting crazy. 

Thanks all. Stay Safe. KnimtheTOAD 

~J (amsavs)

Jun-14

I actually looked up some non-fiction titles via the library. I bookmarked some... and I knocked out one of my fiction books that was about to expire. ha.

I added to my goodreads challenge. Apparently I've read 7 books again. Not sure what it says about me that I've read that many and still feel like I haven't been reading. I'm also at 56/75. "23 books ahead of schedule."

I'm debating on reading all of my Christopher Pike books again. It's been awhile. I'm also itching for a good mystery.

KNIMtheTOAD

Jun-15

Read all Francis' books some twice. There always were interesting. He was the Queens jockey for quite a while. Also read a biography on him. Good.

KNIMtheTOAD

Amardella

Jun-18

My mom used to say I would read the instructions on toilet paper if they had any.  I love SF and some Fantasy, Mysteries, some straight fiction, most non-fiction (love astronomy books), etc. 

For those of you dependent on the library, try a free app called Libby.  They cover most large city libraries.  All you need is a valid card and you can download ebooks direct from the library without having to go there or handle a physical book.  You do have a limited time to read them and they can be "all checked out", just like a regular book, because the libraries have to buy a certain quantity of licenses for each title.  But I hope that will help some folks who can't get out to the library and need reading fodder.

Also Libby ebooks can mostly be read with Kindle app. I like fiction books , also,  especially with stay at home orders. I am an “essential “ workers. So being able to read a couple of pages during my breaks is wonderfulblush

recently read:  “ the Starless Sea”,  “The Book Jumper”, All Souls Trilogy, The Ten Thousands Doors of January.

paper Magician, Rules ofMagic, Dragonheart.

Is it any wonder I like Midnight Castle?smile_cat

~J (amsavs)

Jun-20

Being able to sync library check outs with the kindle app is really handy when  your internet is acting up. Which can happen more than I'd like. But what can you do?

A couple of pages while you're at work? Oh that would get me in so much trouble if it was a series like the Mercy Thompson one. Those always suck me right into their world.. which is good and bad. The bad part being waiting about a year for the next one.