Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 82016 views.
Playbelle

Sep-2

PTG,

I finished it. She answered some of the the questions I'd been wondering about since the I first read the other books in the series. Some of it raised other questions for me, but that was to be expected. It's longer than Twilight (more details and filling in time skimmed over previously), but it still ends at the same point.  

My library has 70 ebooks and almost 50 audiobooks of Midnight Sun, but they are all checked out and you'd still be waiting for months to get one of them.  

It's hard to give a proper final opinion right now because I'm in post-book blues. The series wasn't really over until I finished this one. I guess I'm kind of missing all the possibilities now. Readers are just never satisfied. If we didn't hate it, we always want more. relaxed

In reply toRe: msg 508
TJ (StarBlazes)

Sep-7

I read a lot of books most are audio books because I like to have a book going while I work makes the day go by quicker, So I’m always looking for new book ideas?  Like many of you have posted my favorite genres are Psychological Thrillers, Fantasy, Mystery, Syfi, etc... the kind of books that keep you on the edge of your seat and heart pumping definitely not boring or slow paced lol. I also prefer a series of books or lengthy stand alone books long enough, so that you have enough time where you can really get to know and maybe even feel emotionally connected to the characters.

However, recently I needed a break from the heavier darker genres. And I found a few new series of a more lighthearted often humorous and very much geared towards relationships including furry companions too, with a little mystery thrown in for fun. I thought I would pass along these book for you to enjoy! Since I know many of us here are also animal lovers. And I think with everything crazy going on in the world around us right now many are needing a switch to more lighthearted positive genres.

I’ve finished all the below with the exception I am currently in the middle of the last one awaiting book 4 to be available from the library (I’m second in line) but I’ve read enough to know it fits well in this list. If you do read any of these please let me know what you thought I really enjoyed them so I’m hoping others will too! blush

Paw Enforcement series by Diane Kelly

Witchcraft Mystery series by Heather Blake

Magic Potion Mystery series by Heather Blake

Magical Cats series by Sofie Kelly

Second Chance Cat Mystery by Sofie Ryan

Ten Beach Road series by Wendy Wax

Haunted Home Renovation series by Juliet Blackwell

~J (amsavs)

Sep-11

How are Heather Blake's series? They pop up in my recommendations a lot but I haven't stopped to check them out yet. I've read Juliet Blackwell's Witchcraft Mystery series. It's another I might read again because the books are about a year apart and I feel like I need a refresh. I think I remember the first two being a little slow going but it does pick up the pace.

A random tidbit.. I saw a cat meme somewhere and I had a good laugh because I thought to myself, this must be where Kennedy Layne got the inspiration for Leo. Wish I could remember where I saw it so I could share.

PTG and Playbelle, after my last post about Midnight Sun, I forgot to put it on hold... and then I had an internet outage. When I finally did, more people were on the list. But the library did add more copies so it won't be six months. haha. It's been so long since I've read them. I've probably forgotten most of the story.

LvlSlgr

Sep-25

It looks like the last time I posted the book I was currently reading was back on Aug. 20 and it was Room by Emma Donoghue. It was good, but a few things I thought were a little odd. I wonder what the movie is like. I have Amazon Prime and looked for the movie there, but it's not free. So I guess I'll just have to keep wondering. LOL

Currently I'm reading Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsberg. I already had this book and when I finished another book a few days after RBG's death I decided now was the time to read this one. I've only been reading for a couple days but I'm learning a lot about her that I didn't know.

Since finishing Room, I've also read the following:

I Am My Father's Son: A Memoir of Love and Forgiveness by Dan Hill (the singer/songwriter)

Thin Air by Lisa Gray - This was an Amazon Prime First Read selection

The Great Santini by Pat Conroy - I would have sworn I had read all of Conroy's novels except for his last one and I decided to reread this one. As I was reading I kept thinking something here will remind me that I read this book 30 or so years ago. Finally when I got to the the last chapter I knew for certain I had never read it because I would have remembered how that book ended.

The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates by Wes Moore

Rage by Bob Woodward

~J (amsavs)

Sep-28

I have to say, I might try to find that book about RBG.  

I'm currently stuck waiting for #10 in the Psychic Eye series. I'm glad I'm reading them again. I've forgotten a lot. Since this time I'm reading via kindle, it suggested another series that's about a psychic. There are 6 so far and I burned through those when I was waiting for book #5 in the Psychic Eye series. The series it suggested is "A Lost Souls Lane Mystery" by Erin Huss.

I got to adding books to my goodreads challenge and I'm over 100. I swear it's felt like I've been reading less.

And my hold on the latest JD Robb book is in, so that's up next!

LvlSlgr

Sep-28

Wow! Over 100 books ... I'm impressed. I set my goal at 40 each year in Goodreads and usually go over but not enough to feel like increasing that goal. Right now I've read 35 so far this year. A lot of the books I end up reading are 500-600 pages or more and those take longer. LOL

Right now I'm reading Cemetery Girl by David Bell. I started it Friday and I'm already on page 361 of the 406 pages. I'll finish it later today. He currently has 10 books - all mystery/suspense. They're not a series; each one has different characters. This is the 4th book of his I've read and I've really enjoyed all of them. They will keep me up if I read them when i go to bed instead of making me sleepy. LOL

WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

Sep-28

i've read over 100 books in many years. People ask me how I do it, the response is always the same, read short books! None of those 500-600 page tomes!

~J (amsavs)

Sep-28

Yea, I set mine at 75. The past 5 or so years I've read at least 100 each time. The worst combo for me was goodreads challenge + kindle unlimited. joy My friend keeps asking why I don't increase it. My reading is already ridiculous!

Yea, I started reading the JD Robb before bed... I stayed up too late... again.  Books are a big reason why my sleep got messed up these past few months.

I think I'll look up David Bell, too. I've been in a mystery/suspense mood lately. 

~J (amsavs)

Sep-28

Those couple of cozy mystery series I burned through were pretty short. I think most of them were under 200 pages. I think the average book for me is 300 pages. 

Once in awhile I see an article about how to read more books. They're usually good for a laugh.

In reply toRe: msg 516
CzoeMC

Sep-29

I just finished reading P.D. James "Cover Her Head", a crime/mystery novel, "The Book Thief", by Markus Zusak, (very poignant), "The Organ Grinders" by Bill Fitzhugh, a novel, but an attempt to explain modern attempts at using or growing organs for transplantation, "The Invisible Man", by H.G. Wells, and a compilation of Dorothy Parker's works. Didn't appreciate what she called "poetry", nor her reviews of media of the time, but her short stories are full of acerbic wit. Then, "Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore", by Robin Sloan, was quite the treasure.