Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 104677 views.
LvlSlgr

Dec-19

I just recently read "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald ... for the first time.  Just a few comments.

First, I'm 68 years old and i can't believe I hadn't read this classic before. Why not? I have no clue. I would have read it on Kindle except I was waiting for it to be at a reasonable price. I was thinking I was going to have to get it from the library instead, but finally found it.

I was amazed at how short it is. I was expecting it to be a 300-400 page novel. Not so.

As much as I'd heard about Jay Gatsby, Nick Carraway and Daisy Buchanan ... I had no idea how the book ended and was surprised. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention to what was being said. I don't know, but it came as a shock.

Didn't read the book but saw the movie.  I'm assuming they both end the same way.  I was surprised too.  But I wasn't surprised by Daisy's decisions?  is that the right word?  Now you have me curious about the book.

LvlSlgr

Dec-21

whitebutterfly54 (redbutter54) said:

Didn't read the book but saw the movie. I'm assuming they both end the same way.

You never know if the movie ends the same as the book or not.

Which movie did you see? I'm assuming you mean the latest version - 2013 - with Leonardo DiCaprio. There was a 1974 version with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow.

I'm an Amazon Prime member and can view some movies free but this isn't one of them. the 1974 version is free but not the 1974 version.

Geez, I didn't even know they made a remake with Leonardo DiCaprio.  Where in the world have I been, under a rock?  LOL  No, I was talking about the Robert Redford one with Mia Farrow as Daisy.  It was good.  But nothing beats actually reading the classics.  I really should get back into that.  I used to love reading, but somewhere along the way it all just stopped.  I just love actual books so much.  I like holding the book and touching the pages.  Read a little on my Kindle, but I don't find it as satisfying.  Guess I should give it another go and get with all the new technology.

LvlSlgr

Dec-22

whitebutterfly54 (redbutter54) said:

I like holding the book and touching the pages.

I used to feel the same way. Before I retired, I worked 10-12 hours a day and did most of my reading (for myself) when I went to bed and even with my reading glasses I was straining my eyes too much and just couldn't enjoy it anymore. About 10 years ago a friend sent me a Kindle for my birthday and I thought that was the last thing I wanted. But he included a $50 Amazon gift card so I gave it a try. To be honest, if he hadn't included that gift card it might still be sitting in the box. Once I started reading with the Kindle - where I can adjust the size of the font so that I don't strain my eyes - I was sold. That's where I read all of my books now. And believe me, in the past 10 years my eyes have gotten a lot worse so I really need my Kindle more than ever. I thought I'd never give up holding a book and touching the pages, but I wasn't doing that if I wasn't able to read anymore. At least now I can read.

PTG (anotherPTG)

Dec-23

you can even fool yourself (if you are a simpleton like myself!) into thinking that you are reading from a luxury book by using a bespoke leather cover!

Genuine leather cover, case for Kindle e-Readers, Tree of Life - Oberon  Design

I really like that cover!  And the 'tree of life' sort of looks like the World Tree from the game (complete with white butterflies).  Weird coincidence?

LvlSlgr

Dec-23

I didn't have a cover for my first Kindle. But I got this less expensive cover when I had to get a new Kindle last year. Notice that I picked out something that resembles a tree. One of the things I noticed about the cover is that I get a certain satisfaction out of being able to open and close it the way I would a book ... similar to what PTG said.

WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

Dec-23

I have the Robert Redford movie version, but for some reason have never watched it. Must get around to finally watching that one over the holidays. I also notice I have The Great Gatsby on my kobo to read. Might make that my first book of the new year. I always like to try and start the year by reading a 'classic'. 

In reply toRe: msg 558
WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

Dec-24

Spent most of the first day of my holidays reading Crisis! by James Gunn. In fact, just finished it about an hour ago. Came on the internet just now to see what was going on in the world, and found james Gunn has died today. So sad. Another favourite author gone this year.