Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 233635 views.
Di (amina046)

Dec-20

The Kitchen god's wife is very good, it is her 2nd

LvlSlgr

Dec-20

Thanks, Di. I'll add it to my list.

AnePl

Jan-17

I'm currently finishing reading the Hilarious World of Depression by John Moe. I'd recommend this book to everyone. I came across with it on https://letsgradeit.com/review-category/homework-help/. And I'm happy I bought it. It reveals the empathy and at the same time it has its moments of humor.

• Edited January 24, 2022 3:43 am  by  AnePl
LvlSlgr

Feb-2

Hi AnePl. It sounds interesting. I went to Amazon and read the preview of the book there. I might have to add it to my "want" list.

In reply toRe: msg 631
LvlSlgr

Feb-2

Dec. 17th was the last time I posted in here about the books I've been reading. At that time I was reading Pat Conroy's "Prince of Tides". I really thought I had read that one before but after finishing it I now realize either I hadn't or I have a horrible memory. That makes the second Conroy book that I thought I read before but hadn't. Oh well.

Since then I've read 7 other books - 4 fiction and 3 non-fiction.

When I set a number for my Goodreads challenge this year I scaled it back from 48 to 42. That way I can read some of the longer books (600 pages or more) and also the non-fiction books which are just slower to read. I surprised myself and read 6 books in January. Two of those were non-fiction but fairly easy/fast to read.

I just started "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck a couple days ago. Unfortunately, the Kindle edition I have doesn't give me page numbers and I only have percentages to go by. I really prefer page numbers. Anyway, I'm about 15% done. I know this one will take me longer than normal to read, but that's okay.

WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

Feb-7

People are often stunned by the number of books I read in a year, and often ask what sort of books I read. My answer is always "short ones'. 

That said, I'm currently reading a 600 pager (The Starless Crown by James Rowlins) which is rare for me. Normally my reading would come in under 500 pages, and frequently into the 200-300 page range.

Di (amina046)

Feb-11

A bookseller conducting a market survey asked a woman,
"Which book has helped you most in your life?"
The woman replied, "My husband’s checkbook!
In reply toRe: msg 633
~J (amsavs)

Mar-4

I haven't been reading much lately. Only 7 books so far this year. Last month, I only read the latest in the In Death series (JD Robb) and Finlay Donovan is Killing It by Elle Cosimano (mystery series). Holy crap I was not expecting Finlay Donovan. It started a little slow, for me, but once it started going... what a crazy ride. I don't want to say too much in case someone else wants to read it. Definitely counts as something different for me. Currently waiting for #2. It was actually the first book I saw the library had added. I also forgot what it was about by the time book #1 was available. Which is kinda fun, you don't know what you're getting into.

LvlSlgr

Mar-4

Okay, amsavs, you made me curious about Finlay Donovan and I added it to my "Want" list in BookBub. 

I haven't been reading as much lately either. I read 6 books in Jan. but only finished 2 in Feb. But there's a reason for that. Around the middle of Feb. I started reading A Woman In Charge which is a biography of Hillary Clinton by Carl Bernstein. It's about 554 pages without all of the notes, bibliography, etc. It's good and I'm learning a lot but it's just very slow reading. I was trying to read about 30 pages each day but haven't been able to do that. I've been reading for over 2 weeks and I'm just on page 407 which is in the second year of Bill Clinton's first term as President - 1994. I find reading about political policies, etc. really slows me down. One thing I've noticed is that reading about what all was going on in Washington, DC and the rest of the country during this time has made me wonder where I was because I don't remember much of this at all. Maybe I just wasn't following politics that much back then. I can't blame it on being too busy raising kids, etc. because by then I was divorced and both of my children were in college. I'll be glad when I finish this book and can move on to some novel that's not so serious and intense. LOL

• Edited March 4, 2022 3:00 pm  by  LvlSlgr
~J (amsavs)

Mar-5

I couldn't imagine trying to read that book. Do you ever start up a new one while reading a slow book? (Forgive my memory if you've mentioned it before.) I rarely do but I tend to finish books quickly. Getting better at giving up on books that aren't worth the time, too. 

And speaking of my bad memory.. I don't have kids, so I tend to use the major junior hockey team as my marker. Like I'll do the math and OK, I was 28 but who were the 20 year old that year?? (They're only allowed three 20 year olds per team.) Doesn't work now as I stopped going. Long story short, they seemed to be catering to a specific type of fan, which wasn't me. Fine, I'll take my money elsewhere. (Maybe my brain is too full of all these song lyrics and books/series.)

As for Finlay Donovan, it'll be quite the extreme after your current book. I'm stopping myself from saying more, of course. There's a book blog I follow and sometimes the generic comments will give me an idea of what to expect. Not sure if it's a good thing or not. Or reading reviews that claim there's all these "shocking twists" and I get to the end without feeling shocked.  ‍?? Trying to be good so as not to ruin it for anyone!

I'm a little sad that the Patricia Briggs book was pushed back a little bit. It'll be worth it but I can't wait. I think some of my other fave series that are about a book a year pace had the same thing happen, understandably. I think I'm just rambling at this point.