Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|forums.bigfishgames.com/forums/show/3653.page

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started May-10 by LvlSlgr; 4948 views.

Favorite author I believe is Jennifer Chiaveini.  She has a series of books called Elm Creek Quilts. I have all of the books, all hardcover, which I've read many times over.  After she finished that series she started historical novels, the first one was Mrs Lincoln's Dressmaker.  I have also read all of the Harry Potter series several times.  Most of the time I read books I've purchased for my Nook.  Historical romance, too.  

Carlie

WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

May-16

I thought the same about e-books until I actually got an e-reader. I read more than I ever did in paper form now, and because they are cheaper I am able to indulge more too. Plus I don't need storage. And they don't get flung at your head during earthquakes!

I still buy paper books sometimes, mostly when I've read a book and loved it so much it deserves to be purchased and placed on a shelf for all to see.

LvlSlgr

May-16

I agree with you WeeSam. I read more than ever now with my Kindle ... and more of a variety. I told my story about how I came to use the Kindle when I first started this thread. So I won't go into the details again. I love how I can get most books cheaper and a lot of the older books are free.

Kattlyn Raven (cindykat325)
Staff

I'm one of those people who reads books over and over and over...

When I finally got a smart phone a couple years ago I started experimenting with Nook and Kindle - since both apps were free, i figured I see which I liked best. I downloaded them onto my PC as well. After considerable hemming and hawing... I have settled on Kindle & Kindle Audio. I have become addicted to listening to audio books while I play MC, especially when I'm doing the rounds - LOL...

My favorite current author/series is Jayne Ann Krentz (who also writes as Amanda Quick in Victorian Era and Jayne Castle in Future) She has a series that starts in the Victorian Era, then is revisited in the descendants in the current time, and again in the distant future. the original books are the Arcane Society series which morphs into Harmony and Rainshadow. I guess you could call them Romance with a paranormal twist.

I read Tolkien often... I have it on good authority I'm a Hobbit. (I certainly do like to eat...and drink...)

Currently though I have been re-reading a series I've loved since I was a teen... Ann McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern! I had forgotten how good those books are! I hadn't realized that the 1st book is from 1968! And now, Ms McCaffrey's son Todd has taken up the mantel. I have new books to check out!

WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

May-16

I haven't read nearly enough of the Dragon Riders of Pern series, just the first one. However Dragonquest is up next on my list of books to read, right after I finish Cemetary of Angels by Noel Hynd.

Yippeegrinning

more dragon rider booksdragon_face

gotta check those outlove_letter

jaximoto

May-17

I used to live in Santa Barbara county so I really enjoy Sue Grafton's series since she referenced so many familiar locales, even when she changed some of the names(to protect the innocent?) I, too, am an avid reader and enjoy many of the already mentioned authors. I am surprised that no one has mentioned John Sanford with his Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers ongoing characters. And Dean Koontz. 

I live outside the city limits and was totally flabbergasted to find out that the nearest library charges $95 per year for a library card if you don't live within their boundaries! I've never heard of being charged for a PUBLIC library before! Yes, it I know it has to do with city/county taxes but still...

re: online books, I use an iPad and bought only one online book from Amazon. I found I could buy new releases from Costco for about the same price and then could lend out to friends so never looked back. I also utilize a local used book store for paperbacks.

Im working on a Lee Child book now, with the latest John Sanford calling my name on my nightstand. 

Ive always enjoyed a good story...and no, I'm not a book hoarder, I just have an expanding library.

I had read all of Sue Grafton's books and am sorry to hear she has died.

My favourite author of all is John Irving though his recent books are a little strange and dark and best not used as an introduction to his work for a newbie.  Try Cider House Rules or my absolute favourite A Prayer for Owen Meany.  That takes you from laughter to tears and back again.  Glorious.

Like Jaximoto I also enjoy Lee Child but have only read his most recent books. I would need to check second hand shops for the early works.

Great thread.  Reading makes a nice change from the game while I am taking a break.

Jaxi, I also love used bookstores, & I have found a great one online. Most of the books are $3 & shipping is free. The latest one I bought is in nearly perfect condition - just a little curling on the bottom edge of the dust jacket.  

If you're interested, I can send you a referral link, & they will send you a 15% off coupon & send me a 20% off coupon for referring you! 

Everyone else, too! This is a true win/win. ;-)

jaximoto

May-18

Good deals on Good Books? You bet I'm in! Send me the info, please.

??????????