Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Books - what are you reading?   Fletcher's Tea Room and Bar

Started 5/10/18 by LvlSlgr; 239181 views.
In reply toRe: msg 651
WeeSam (WeesamNZ)

May-25

I'm still on the Mercedes Lackey Valdemar series re-read. With 39 (40 next month) novels, and 15 anthologies to get through.

Currently I'm reading book 32 of 39. Hope to finish it tonight or tomorrow if I fall asleep. I've only read 3 of the 15 anthologies in the series though, so still a way to go before I completely finish.

In the meantime, I'm mixing it up by reading some graphic novels. I've finished the 9 novels of the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch, and recently purchased the box set of the graphic novels (9 of them as well). I've just finished the third of them. They are a much lighter read than the novels, but still a lot of fun. The most recent one pitted our magical cops against sentient, and seriously pissed off, black mould.

pclark200

May-26

I am reading the non-fiction book "The End of the Myth" about America's idea of the endless frontier and how it helped form economic policy (or excuse economic policy). Very interesting. 

PenWeb

May-26

Looking forward to Mercedes Lackey's next Valdemar book.  Planning on re-reading the series chronologically as soon a I finish re-reading Anne McCaffery's Pern series. Dragons must fly .......

Penny B.

LvlSlgr

Jun-2

I've been re-reading some of Pat Conroy's books that I read over 30 years ago. I just started "The Lords of Discipline" the other day.

In May I read 6 books - 5 fiction and only 1 non-fiction. The non-fiction was "We Were Soldiers Once ... and Young" and it's about a battle in the Vietnam War in 1965 that changed how we fought over there.

The fiction included 2 books that were Amazon Prime First Reads from 2020. I read the 4th book in the Will Trent (Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent) series by Karin Slaughter and also the 7th book in the Tracy Crosswhite (Seattle homicide detective) series by Robert Dugoni. The other one was the first in the trilogy about Kentucky by Fern Michaels. I'm not certain if I was impressed enough to read more of those.

In reply toRe: msg 655
LvlSlgr

Jul-13

In June I read 5 books - 4 fiction and 1 non-fiction. The non-fiction was "Beyond the Body Farm: A Legendary Bone Detective Explores Murders, Mysteries, and the Revolution in Forensic Science" by William Bass. RIght, that's a long title! It was about the startup of the "body farm" at the University of Tennessee near Knoxville. The "body farm" is where they have cadavers out in the open so they can be studied to help determine the length of time a dead body has been exposed to the weather, etc. The author is the forensic scientist who started it and he has some good stories to include. I had read about the "body farm" in one of Patricia Cornwell's novels titled "Body Farm" years ago.

The novels I read included Pat Conroy's "Lords of Discipline" which I mentioned in the earlier post. I also read one by David Bell - this was the 7th book by him that I've read. I really enjoy his mysteries. I read the 27th book in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. I always enjoy those because Stephanie is quite a character and you get a little humor mixed in with the suspense. And of course, one of those novels was an Amazon First Reads from 2020.

For Goodreads yearly challenge, I set a goal of reading 42 books this year which was lower than previous years. I've read 29 as of the end of June, so I'm doing well. I usually set a goal of 48 or 4 per month. However, I have several books which are 500 to over 700 pages and I catch myself avoiding those longer ones so that I can meet my yearly goal without any problem. Since I'm so far ahead after just 6 months, I'll probably tackle some of those longer ones. I was just checking and I have two books which are over 1,000 pages - "Atlas Shrugged" and "Gone With the Wind." I read GWTW back when I was a teenager but I'd like to read it again.  Over 900 pages - 2 books. Over 800 pages - 2 books. Over 700 pages - 5 books. Over 600 pages - 5 books. Over 500 pages - 13 books. And the rest are less than 500 pages.

Well, that's it. I guess I better get back to reading ... or maybe play a little MC since I'm on the laptop. LOL

Di (amina046)

Jul-15

Hello my der, i just hope the GWTW in book form has aged better than the film which they recently showed several times on TV and it has not aged well. Hugs