Jenifer (Zarknorph)

The Midnight Castle Forum On Delphi

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)|All FAQs Answered Here!

A forum devoted to the FTP game Midnight Castle. All formats and platforms. Find Friends, learn tips and tricks, read strategy guides, ask for help or just kick back in Fletcher's Tea Room and dodge the odd explosion.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New Computer- MC won't open   Technical Issues

Started Jul-31 by TLB2 (nvrsdiwsgd); 5809 views.
TLB2 (nvrsdiwsgd)

Jul-31

Help!

I got a new laptop. Running Windows 11. Transferred the game from an external hard drive from a back up just made from my old laptop. Running windows 11 on that, as well.

Got BF game manager and d/l a new game. Did the transfer and was able to play for a while. Exited the game, next time I tried to play, the game manager comes up, but no game opens. Its gone. A few times I have tried it again and GM says another game running. So I control alt delete what's running in the task manager.

There have been a couple times I have been able to get the game to open to play, but after I exit, the same thing happens. No game.

We have uninstalled and reinstalled MC a few times. No difference.

Any ideas?

edit to add-- new laptop is not running S mode.

On the odd occasion that I have been unable to open the game and get the message "another game is running"  I have had to restart the computer.   I must add that I have only had that problem when my computer or internet has been playing up.

TLB2 (nvrsdiwsgd)

Aug-1

Thanks, but the game doesn't even show up. So, that's not the problem.

Thanks for replying.

Hirento

Aug-2

Hello, I'm sorry for your problems.

Do you still have access to your old computer, and does the game start there?

How did the process of transferring the game happen?

From what you write it sounds like you transferred it from a savefile, but I'm not sure you can transfer information from one player ID to another without BFG helping you. It could be that the server still recognizes your old game as the correct one, and the new game has a different ID.

But I'm sure that BFG customer service can help with the transfer.

AEGram

Aug-2

Just some random thoughts that may or may not be relevant.

Regarding the "another game is running" .....I've only encountered this issue if I have more than one user account on a computer, each with a game of MC. It's for that reason that when I want to end playing on one user account and log into the second account that I open Task Manager and delete the reference to MC that starts with Big Fish.

HOWEVER, I've also noticed that there's another process in Task Manger that's in the M's and starts with Midnight Castle. Sorry that I cannot remember the exact name of the process. So, you may also need to check the M's as well as the B's in the Task Manager list to see if it's running in either or both places.

Unless something has changed with the software in the game, each player should be able to "transfer" their game from one computer to another without the assistance of Big Fish or Elephant Games. IF Big Fish does the transfer, you start the game on the new device, take note of the game ID, mark down the game ID for the old game, play the new game for about 5 levels and then ask Big Fish to transfer your "game progress" from the old ID to the new one. This will result in your game having a new game ID and it will not transfer any of your friends.

IF you choose to transfer the game yourself, you would navigate to the AppData\Roaming\Elephant Games\Midnight Castle folder on the OLD device and copy the content folder and any other items to a thumb drive. ....You would then download the game on the new device, play a couple of levels so the game files will be created on the new computer, BE SURE TO CLOSE THE GAME AND ANY TASKS IN TASK MANAGER, navigate to that AppData...Midnight Castle folder and paste the copied items into that folder. You will get a message saying that the files already exist, do you want to replace them, and when you say yes, your old game info is then in the Midnight Castle folder.

That said.....my preference would be to actually rename that Midnight Castle folder to something like Midnight CastleOld, create a new Midnight Castle folder inside the Elephant Games folder and transfer the copied files/folder into that newly created Midnight Castle folder. That way, you can delete it if the game locks up, change the original folder back to Midnight Castle, and still have that newly created game on the new device. The newly created game will be stable and not effected by the transferred files. (If you need to rename the old folder, be sure to delete the folder and it's contents that you created first)

IF you transfer the files from your old device to the new one, reboot the computer before trying to open MC. After the computer boots back up, when you connect to MC either from the desktop icon or from the Game Manager, the game should present just as it was on the old device: same ID (because the files you transferred over replaced your new game ID with your old one) and you should also have all your friends.

Note: for those unfamiliar with this process, AppData is a hidden folder and you need to unhide those folders to navigate to it. Or you can type the exact path in the run line. (If you don't know how to unhide hidden folders, a Google search will give you that information.)

In reply toRe: msg 5
TLB2 (nvrsdiwsgd)

Aug-2

Thank you.

Will give this a try tomorrow.

We followed your directions for transferring the game that you had posted in how to transfer.  We've done it before without this problem, so I don't know why its not working now.

Thanks.

TLB2 (nvrsdiwsgd)

Aug-2

Hi, thanks for replying.

Yes I can still play on my old computer. We've done this transfer before and it worked flawlessly.

No, I don't want to go through BFG at this time. That is only a last resort.

Thanks

In reply toRe: msg 5
TLB2 (nvrsdiwsgd)

Aug-3

Thank you for the reply.

I've tried this several ways including word for word on the last try.  Only issue now is when I go to play the game after a restart, I hit the game manager, that opens.  I hit play and the game manager closes as usual then the hesitation as it thinks, as if it will open, but it doesn't.   Any further ideas ? 

AEGram

Aug-5

TLB2 (nvrsdiwsgd) said:

Any further ideas ? 

Did you save the original files from when you downloaded the game to the new computer.....in other words, did you rename the Midnight Castle folder to keep the content folder and files from the new game unchanged?

Do you play other Big Fish games?

If Midnight Castle is the only Big Fish game you play, you might be able to remove all references to the game/game files from the new computer and get the game to work with the transferred files. ...............Please drop to the bottom and read my disclaimer before you continue!!!!! And, don't follow this if it doesn't make sense to you ....but here are the various places that I've located Big Fish files on my computer.

1. Go to Control Panel....(have it set as category) .... then select programs....uninstall Big Fish Game Manager and Midnight Castle

2. Go to your C:\drive and delete the folder BigFishCache

3. Inside of the C:\ files.....open Program Files (x86) ... delete the Midnight Castle folder

4. Unhide your folders.....Go to your c: drive....select Users....then your user account...then AppData....then Roaming....IF the Elephant Games folder is still there, delete it.

5. Back out of the AppData\Roaming folder so you're back inside the AppData folder itself ....and inside the AppData folder, select Local ...... Delete the Big Fish folder from this location.

FOR NOW, KEEP ALL THESE DELETED FOLDERS INSIDE YOUR RECYCLE BIN IN CASE YOU NEED TO RESTORE THEM.

That should remove all files relative to Midnight Castle from your new computer. (Well, as I said, these are the only ones I could find.)

Download the game to the computer again.....play a couple of levels.....verify the content folder and files are inside the Elephant Games\Midnight Castle folder (the one that's inside AppData\Roaming) and they have the date that you downloaded and installed this new game.

Rename the Midnight Castle folder to Midnight CastleOLD.

Create a new folder inside the Elephant Games folder called Midnight Castle

Copy JUST THE FILES FROM your old game (don't copy the content folder)......then copy the content folder from the new game (It will be inside the Midnight CastleOLD folder

Reboot the computer.....open MC and (cross fingers) ....see if you have your old game.

DISCLAIMER.....I have NOT tried this......I don't know absolutely that it will work (that's why you will still have the deleted files inside of your Recycle bin and in the renamed Midnight Castle folder in case something doesn't work.

Also.....if there's anyone else out there with some technical knowledge....can you comment on whether you think the above will work?

I just don't know what Elephant Games or Big Fish have done to the programming since we learned how to copy files on our own from one device to another. I DO know that originally, we copied the content folder and the files for it to work......THEN, there was a time that we had to NOT copy the content folder (i.e., replace it with the one from our original game) because it caused game corruption. .....THEN it seemed to be okay to also copy the content folder from the old game.

This is my best suggestion, but honestly, I can't guarantee it will make any difference or that it will absolutely work. 

TLB2 (nvrsdiwsgd)

Aug-5

disappointed

Thanks again, but no luck. My husband is the computer tech in the house and he's been following your instructions.

This is what happens -

Open Game Manager

Hit Play

Can see in the taskbar that it is active (highlighted) see the bar moving and then goes back to game manager. The actual game never opens.

I really do appreciate all your help so far.